Tell me something I don't know.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BassTrap82 said:
Adam was once arrested with maruana...

Everyone knows that one!

However in a book published last year in Ireland - GUBU Nation, by Damian Corless, there is an anecdote detailing an incident in the mid 80's when Adam was allegedly arrested, and convicted, of drink driving. That was a new one, on me at least.

Lisa71 said:
Edge's wife Morleigh is the girl in the background of the With or Without you video. They filmed her stuff in LA and the band never meet her. It was about 5 years later that they actual met face to face.

Really?? I always wondered who that was!

There's a bunch of titbits in an Irish Independent article today:

For example:

(1) Bono feared the band would go bankrupt during the ZooTV tour.

(2) There were tensions in the studio between Larry and Brian Eno and the former once tried to stop the managment company paying the latter.

(3) Larry almost left the band at the start of Achtung Baby recording.

(4) Bono made his peace with Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams, after the latter expressed an interest in the Drop the Debt campaign.

You most likely know some of these but here goes...

The band lost millions in the late nineties because they invested in a German laser tag company that didn't make money because laser tag is illegal in Germany. Or something like that.

Bono has 3 peircings in one of his ears.

Larry got his tattoo in Woodstock, NY

Hmmm, maybe more later

BrownEyedBoy said:

That's pretty interesting. Can anyone elaborate on this?

It was to do with the sheer cost of mounting it. If their average ticket sales were 10% less, it could have bankrupted the band. As it was, of course ticket sales held up very well but even still the tour struggled to break even. Bono says he discussed his fears with Ali who helped to allay his concerns.

I just thought of another good one. During the Achtung Baby recordings, two German girls knocked on the door of the recording studio to see how recording was progressing. They informed the band they didn't want any love songs on the album!!

The same turned up after a concert to tell Bono who much they hated Achtung Baby. Too many love songs for them apparently!

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:

That's pretty interesting. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Its discussed in the Bono on Bono book (or Bono in Conversation, depends where you live as to the name of the book).

I'm guessing the other 3 quotes are also from the same book I'm not that far through it as yet.

Adam has an English potty sense of humour (according to the same book). Adam and his brother used to put a sock on their willies and terrorise their sister.

Or something to that effect. I have just woken up and that was the last chapter I read before sleeping. :huh:

I know a website that could give more information about U2, perhaps more than anyone would wanna know, but posting it would kill the thread. ;)

Contrary to even published articles, and many a U2 fan, Adam's first vocals on a U2 recording was not "Your Blue Room" off "Passengers."

On "Endless Deep,"(1983), he sings the "where do we go from here, where do we go from here."

Also does some vocal work on "Boomerang II," (1984) a B-side from a "Pride (in the name of love) single. Never heard this song though.

If you listen closely, at the very beginning of "Unforgettable Fire" the song, you can hear the sound of drum stick counting and "oh shit." Think it's Larry.

The only live appearance of Stranger In A Strange Land to my knowledge occurred three years after its release, as a snippet in October 1984.

Although Tomorrow was played over 30 times, only 2 of those instances were on the October Tour, 17 and 18 March 1982.

Lypton Village nicknames

Steinvic von Huyseman -> Huyseman -> Houseman -> Bon Murray -> Bono Vox of O'Connell Street -> Bono

Inchicore -> The Edge

Adam and Larry had unofficial nicknames in the Village. Adam was Sparky, and Larry was Jamjar.

Bono convinced Larry to add Jnr on the end of his name as it added the "jazz-blues band bit". "Adam Clayton just sounds black anyway".

biff said:
Adam peed on Ali's leg (or at least close enough that she felt the "humidity"). Eeeww!

That bit was a little suprising. The same as Bono stating that Adams dad is from East London. ie not posh. I thought Adam came from a posh family for some reason.

thrillme said:
Also does some vocal work on "Boomerang II," (1984) a B-side from a "Pride (in the name of love) single. Never heard this song though.
gimme your e-mail. i'll send you both boomerangs.

also, beli, didn't bono also have a super long nickname first? i can't remember anything about it but it was insanely long.

Beli: Only posh in the north Dublin sense, in that he was English and had a very good job. I always felt that accounts about Adam's mother suggested she was not posh at all (but only acted like she was--remember the "spaghetti incident"--not nice).

KhanadaRhodes said:

gimme your e-mail. i'll send you both boomerangs.

also, beli, didn't bono also have a super long nickname first? i can't remember anything about it but it was insanely long.

He could have had more nicknames. That was just a list from the Bono on Bono book.

PS Can you email me some goodies too, please?

belilindt (at) gmail (dot) com

Last edited:
biff said:
Beli: Only posh in the north Dublin sense, in that he was English and had a very good job. I always felt that accounts about Adam's mother suggested she was not posh at all (but only acted like she was--remember the "spaghetti incident"--not nice).

I had presumed because Adam was born in Oxford, his family were from that region. Not that it matters. I had an image of someone and its wrong! wrong! wrong! lol.

The spaghetti incident - I, unfortunately, attended a finishing school and people were indeed shot to pieces for cutting up spaghetti. Its a real social no-no.

Steinhegvanhuysenolegbangbangbangbang.

His first nickname!!!

Edge did say Bono once had an unmentionable nickname, I thought maybe it was kinda naughty or something, but no, just, hard to say.

----

On the Zooropa cover, the squiggly parts, you can kind make out, (aWAKEUPDE), Wake Up Dead Man" (ANWANDER), "The Wanderer" (ISSMEKILLM) "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" and (ETDRESS) "If You Wear That Velvet Dress."

beli said:

I had presumed because Adam was born in Oxford, his family were from that region. Not that it matters. I had an image of someone and its wrong! wrong! wrong! lol.

The spaghetti incident - I, unfortunately, attended a finishing school and people were indeed shot to pieces for cutting up spaghetti. Its a real social no-no.

Indeed. But a real woman of class would never have embarrassed a child by so obviously pointing it out, and making him ashamed in front of his friends.

Last edited:
thrillme said:
Steinhegvanhuysenolegbangbangbangbang.

His first nickname!!!

Edge did say Bono once had an unmentionable nickname, I thought maybe it was kinda naughty or something, but no, just, hard to say.

----

It was the "no leg" part of the name that was unmentionable! (That was just plain mean.)

biff said:

Indeed. But a real woman of class would never have embarrassed a child by so obviously pointing it out, and making him ashamed.

I disagree. I very much feel the middle to upperclasses can be socially more umm... emotionally unpleasant. I'll have to think of a better expression but embarrasing people can come easily to some people. As can being mean. Not that I'm suggesting Adams Mum is either of these things. I've never met her.

Back
Top Bottom