Tell me about these songs, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blm

New Yorker
Been listening to

SMILE
LEVITATE
SPANISH EYES
HEAVEN AND HELL

a lot lately. Are some of these early tunes that morphed into others..yes I recognize sounds/lines that are in other songs now.
Any info such as: when written, Bono's thoughts/meanings (may be nearly impossible), (non)release/album why, etc.

smile and levitate are from the HTDAAB and/or ATYCLB sessions. They improved upon them, and they turned into album tracks. Spanish Eyes is a B-Side to I Still Haven't Found WHat I'm Looking For. not sure about the other. hope this helps :)

Levitate is from the ATYCLB sessions, Smile from the Bomb sessions, Heaven and Hell is from the AB recording sessions in Berlin, I only have a rough demo of that song.

By the way I just got a copy of The Best of 1980-1990 with the B-sides, it's unavailable here and I had to order it through Amazon marketplace. So glad I finally have that one, it contains the most awesome B-sides from their earlier years.

Spanish Eyes I think was written for the Joshua Tree album and is basically a commentary on Bono's relationship with his wife i.e he loves how strong willed and independent she is and that she doesn't take any crap from him. I remember him saying in an interview around 87 that she would not be worn like a brooch and that she had her own life and interests, oh and basically he needs her more than she needs him, as he says in the song.

I don't know for sure, but I always thought Levitate was left off ATYCLB because the title was too similiar to Elevation.

Smile is the most beautiful U2 song of the decade. I'd be interested to see what direction the next album would take if it featured Smile as one of the central songs thematically.

Thanks u2er's- other than a b-side, what and where are these "sessions"/outtakes/bootlegs from? How are they obtained. Iif these were unreleased, how did they come out to the public? I know Mercy, for instance, was leaked, but these weren't, right??
Before I found interference, i didn't even know there was such a thing as this. So i so appreciate everyone who uploads stuff, etc and offers out to us.:bow:

Heaven and Hell was leaked. It was a very infamous leak pre AB. Where 4 discs of leaked "songs" all at different phases, some just instumentals, some were just the band jamming and what not... It was usually called the Salome sessions...

The other two were released in the iTunes box set along with some other previous released material.

blm said:
Thanks u2er's- other than a b-side, what and where are these "sessions"/outtakes/bootlegs from? How are they obtained. Iif these were unreleased, how did they come out to the public? I know Mercy, for instance, was leaked, but these weren't, right??
Before I found interference, i didn't even know there was such a thing as this. So i so appreciate everyone who uploads stuff, etc and offers out to us.:bow:

Go to the All I Want Is U2 forum to find out about getting some bootlegs. U2 fans are a pretty generous bunch and I'm sure you'll find people willing to share their goodies with you.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Smile is the most beautiful U2 song of the decade. I'd be interested to see what direction the next album would take if it featured Smile as one of the central songs thematically.
Agree. I'm totally in love with Smile. I wish they'd include it on their new album.

Orig quote by BonoIsMyMuse.........
(OOPS, sorry)

last unicorn said:

Agree. I'm totally in love with Smile. I wish they'd include it on their new album.

Yes, I love his voice on this.
:sigh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom