Target Promo CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll do a trade with somebody--I'll buy and send the Target CD for somebody in exchange for some fabulous live bootleg (she said, hoping the CD isn't 20 bucks).

But not only must you send me a fabulous live boot, but you must also promise to pronounce "Target" using the authentic American pronunciation which is "Tarzhay".
biggrin.gif

Hey Zoomerang...

I agree with you. How can any objective fan say this isn't a sellout! The band might still have few rivals for musical brilliance but any claims of business integrity are being slowly chipped away. (This includes the NFL ads, which regardless of any fans' spin control, is using U2 music to endorse a product). Oh well, I guess there is only REM, Springsteen and a few others to hold on to their ideals. Hope the boys enjoy their third vacation home or whatever.

PS - I'm still buying the disc and plan to enjoy it immensely!

be glad to do a trade or buy for one or two outside the states...

email me at debgoldenberg@yahoo.com

my .02, I'm glad they put this compilation together, these are all the recent songs I don't have.

Thanks, U2!

Hang on a minute here...

Before people start crying "sellout" listen here...

Ther eonly way to get most of those songs is to pay MUCHO bucks to buy import singles. Something only the fanatics will do for the most part.

So U2 makes some of their best b-side material (Always, Stuck Acoustic) available to U2 fans for a decent price so that the *average* fan doesn't have to buy all the singles.

*the horror*

They're catering to the *average* fan.

OMG!

Sin on U2.

They're playing the superbowl.

*shock, horror*

*popkid faints over*

What sellouts!

They're catering to the *average* fan.

U2 said before this tour even started, back when they were releasing the album, that the musical landscape had changed. If they wanted the album to sell, they had to do things they hadn't done before, like play TRL and SNL and other things.

And holy shit, look what's happened. Fans at the Elevation shows weren't all 40+. There were new fans, we've seen them here at interference.

I for one don't give a shit what U2 does (although if I here SBS in a tampax commercial that might just be it...).

The music is being played on the radio, they're getting recognition from the critics and the mainstream, they're played on the radio.

Isn't that what we wanted?

Times have changed. U2 has to change as well.

You have to pick your battles folks. That's the reality of life...

And that's all I have to say about that...

Is it a sellout when U2 releases CD singels in the U.K. and Canada, but not the U.S., thus forcing us to import them, or worse yet, buy them retail at expensive import rates, if we want the CDs? (NO)

Is it a sellout when U2 provides an exclusive Enhanced CD with London's [i[The Sunday Times[/i] magazine? (NO)

Is it a sellout when U2 includes exclusive tracks and/or enhanced videos on the Australian versions of their CD singles? (NO)

Is it a sellout when U2 releases an EXTREMELY LIMITED EDITION CD single in France in a cool canvas package with unreleased live tracks and postcards? (NO)

Bands do stuff like this all the time and they have been doing it for a long time. And ALL of these tracks have been released to the rest of the world on the aforementioned CD singles, but NOT here in the U.S.

R.E.M. released a cover of Syd Barrett's "Dark Globe" exclusively in a magazine in the 1980s; I was a huge REM fan but was never able to find the magazine. Then, in 1998, they advance-released "Why Not Smile?" long before the album in Oxford American magazine's Southern Summer Music Sampler CD. These were not sell-outs; just cool things to do to put your music out to new crowds.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by oviedo:
Hey Zoomerang...

I agree with you. How can any objective fan say this isn't a sellout! The band might still have few rivals for musical brilliance but any claims of business integrity are being slowly chipped away. (This includes the NFL ads, which regardless of any fans' spin control, is using U2 music to endorse a product). Oh well, I guess there is only REM, Springsteen and a few others to hold on to their ideals. Hope the boys enjoy their third vacation home or whatever.

PS - I'm still buying the disc and plan to enjoy it immensely!

Bah... people are already going "REM who?" and "Springsteen what?" We are in a different age and, sad as it may be, one has to market one's self. If this includes some promotional CDs or appearances on TV, so be it.

As for the NFL ads, most likely these were treated the same way as when U2's music appears in movie trailers. The band themselves have nothing to do with it.

Lastly, Iggy Pop, who is probably the antithesis of "selling-out" commented when one of his songs was actually used in a commercial. He stated that the song was not written with a commercial interest in mind. Therefore, he saw no problem with it being used this way years later. In other words, the material, much like U2's material, was written with pure intentions - and I think that's the most important part that most of you who scream "sell out" are missing.

And let's also not forget U2 cutting a special version of "Beautiful Day" for one of their local football teams back home...NOT a sellout there either, in my opinion.

~U2Alabama

From @U2:
The CD is called "7" and will be sold at $6.99 (USD). As @U2 reported first last week, it will be available on Tuesday, January 22nd. The CD cover is similar to a photo which appeared on the cover of NME magazine last year, and includes a small version of the Target logo with the words "RARE & REMIXED" inside.

Also, I have been told that some of the P.O.P. stuff has arrived at Target Stores (Nica_MOM - can you confirm?) and that It may be appearing in this Sunday's Sunday newspaper ad. Unfortunately, the boys will not be making an appearance at Target's Headquarters in Minneapolis to promote the CD.
frown.gif

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Bands do stuff like this all the time and they have been doing it for a long time. And ALL of these tracks have been released to the rest of the world on the aforementioned CD singles, but NOT here in the U.S.

Exactly.

I volunteer to buy them for candian interferencers and ship them out...just let me know how many I should buy.

The good news
smile.gif
, followed by the bad news
frown.gif

We have target stores(part of GW Coles, maybe different to the USA?)I sure hope that part of the story is incorrect.
There already is an album called "7" believe me I know it backwards, all tracks suitable at 7 year old children.
Nicamom. I should enlist your help. I'm up early looking for pics to make a poster for hub's new band(we got our first booking yesterday YAY!!) You sure are a whizz with photoshop. I'm trying not to be the bossy bass players missus, but I see an opportunity to use a horse as their logo
biggrin.gif
Good fun. I found a great cowgirl smilie I'd like sicy to see
smile.gif

Anyway I think the new U2 CD looks fine, all those great songs for $14...bargain imho.

i too an willing to pick up a couple of the discs next week and mail to out of US interferencers email is lynnd@sierratel.com

BTW-if U2 is to stay visible in this current pop/fluff music culture that we are suffering through right now, they must use the same marketing tools that the boy/girl bands are using. i, for one, am glad that i can turn on the radio and hear a little U2 in the mix. if U2 makes some extra $$ in the process, happy to oblige.

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Hey folks outside of U.S. -

From Target's FAQ website:

Do you ship orders outside the U.S.?
target.com is currently unable to ship orders to International addresses (including Canada) nor are we able to accept orders from non-U.S. residents.
We are pleased to ship to Alaska, Hawaii, APO and FPO addresses using Standard delivery only. When shipping to an APO/FPO address, delivery may take 3 to 6 weeks.

So, buddy-up with a Interferencer from the U.S. (once released, I'd be willing to help a few people out).

I can help some out to just remember the favor when something is only released outside the US like U2 singles that we have to pay import prices for.

I went to my Target and saw the sign they'll use for the promotion, it has the cd pic on...Oh and I reserved it.
biggrin.gif

Also they got in stock all the U2 albums, even Wide Awake in America($9.99) and the Best double cd ($19.99).
Cass, I'll be happy to help you out.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NicaMom (edited 01-17-2002).]

Recently nominated for 8 Grammy? Awards, U2 continues to be one of the biggest, best and most innovative bands in rock music. Target is proud to present an exclusive collection of rare and remixed songs from U2. U2 7 will be available Jan. 22!
Whooohoooo!!!!

Back
Top Bottom