Tampa and Miami review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Zooropa

The Fly
Well I have just awoke from my happy U2 slumber in which I dreampt I got to meet U2. Why oh why did it have to be a dream? Anyway, Driving back from Miami to Orlando after the show was brutal but now I am prepared to make my review.

Tampa - The Tampa show was great, as any U2 show is, but they seemed a little out of it for some reason. Edge broke a few guitar stings and almost dropped his guitar on UTEOTW so he was in a bit of a funk. Bono didn't talk too much until the very very end of the show and the band seemed to race through the main set. They played Elevation, BD, UTEOTW, NYD, I Will Follow, SBS, Stuck, Kite, Angel of Harlem, Please, Bad, WTSHNN, ISHFWILF, and Pride in like a hour. They stretched the 2 encores out a bit to make up I guess. Encore 1 consisted of Bullet, What's Goin On, and New York and encore 2 of One and Walk On. One and Walk On were pretty emotional at least for me. Bullet was also ensational. Some of the highlights included Bono putting on an "I heart NY" shirt for encore 2, and full band version of Angel of Harlem, Bono looking in the back of the arena at an "odd object" that turned out to be a guy selling cotton candy. All in all a great show, but from what I heard was no-where near Atlanta. Kudos to the Ice Palace crew for great organization of the GA line.

Miami - Miami was nothing less than incredible. The energy in the arena never died down from Elevation to Walk On. Bono was in an especially happy and energetic mood and was jumping all over and talking up a storm. The main set included Elevation, BD, UTEOTW, MW, Out of Control, SBS, Stuck, Kite, In God's Country, Knocking on Heaven's Door, Please, Bad, WTSHNN, ISHFWILF, and Pride. The encore was the same as Tampa except he played My Sweet Lord in between One and Walk On in stead of between Kite and Angel of Harlem. In God's Country was complete with harmonica and Knocking on Heaven's Door with the full band was great. Bono put on an FDNY shirt during New York and wore it through the encore. He kicked cups of water into the crowd during Out of Control, which was funny. During SBS he tied an American flag and Irish flag together. Bullet was incredible as always. Larry played drums on I'm Only Happy When It Rains, the last song on the Garbage set. All in all it was up there with opening night, but special in a different kind of way. I hope everyone who went had a great time and I know we're all looking forward to the next album and tour (and how they will ever top this one). Cheers.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Miami sounds like a great ending to this leg of the tour.

Would love to get mp3s.

~ME THREE

I got a question , according to u2tours.com they played '40' after Walk On , right ?? What was it like?? a few lines , a snippet or a full version with just an acoustic guitar ???

I would love to hear "40" live, the segment of Bad/40, to Streets with Psalm 116 on the Boston DVD blew me away. I can only imagine what a full "40" would be like. Also did they give any hints as to what they would be doing next?

Bono sang the chorus and a verse of 40 at the end of Walk On, not acoustically but he just sand in time with the end of Walk On. Bono said psalm 116 before Bad at Miami, but not Tampa. Bono gave no indication of what they would do next unfortunately. WGRYWH was at the end of Bad both night, no other songs had snippets though. Except Kite in Tampa when Bono played My Sweet Lord. I guess we'll have to wait to see what U2 does next.

------------------

i was at Miami, too! it was AMAZING! the most enthusiastic crowd i've witnessed this whole tour- right up there with the NY 10/24 crowd, and maybe even surpassing them! you just know the crowd is going to be good when they start doing The Wave before U2 comes on.
smile.gif

i've been in the heart 11 times on this tour, and this was by FAR the most enthusiastic crowd i've encountered. what's interesting is that they capped the heart at 150 fans, so there must have been tons of VIPS there. i know that steve buscemi and elvis costello were both in the Heart. elvis has been to a BUNCH of shows this tour- he must be turning into a U2 groupie!
smile.gif

anyway, Achtung Zooropa hit on a lot of highlights, so i'll keep this brief. elevation was amazing- everyone in the heart was jumping *so* high, and the band was really feeding off the crowd's energy. in god's country was beautiful, and the harmonica solo at the end was SO cool. Mysterious Ways was awesome- especially when edge took both hands OFF the guitar and just started dancing in the middle of the song. the tatoo guy (dan) got pulled up during stuck again- it was his third time onstage this tour. my friend matt got pulled up to play guitar on Knockin' on Heaven's Door... and bono referred to him as Jesus (he looks like Jesus; if you met him you'd totally understand!). all the guys were in a great mood... adam was smiling and laughing the whole time,a nd someone told me that larry was drinking beer the whole night (not water!).

one other note: there was a professional photographer following the band around onstage all night. just before the band left the stage for the first encore, bono grabbed his camera and took photos of the fans.
smile.gif

oh, and larry on drums w/ garbage was AWESOME! a complete surprise! i saw edge watching it from dallas's underground area of the stage.

all in all, a WONDERFUL ending to the most amazing tour.

as for future plans, 2 of the bodyguards said that the band will tour europe next summer...
smile.gif

Yeah I am waiting for some mp3's, I hope some turn up soon, if anyone knows of anyone who has some please let us know.

------------------

Miami was definately fantastic.

I thought it was really funny at the end when they were doing Walk On when Bono said "home is where my wife and kids are" and then "Honey, I'm home....

Great show!

Just to add to this, yeah the line got cut off at 150 mostly cause being the last show the non-working crew was invited in to party. The truck driver with the long hair, Scott, told us. So basically a lot of the crew with friends were in there.

It was funny cause you know how the crew wear those special shirts with a little oval on the left chest that says "U2 Elevation Tour 2001" and on the back it says crew. Well as a joke they had a special shirt designed for the show instead the oval said "Schoo2 A little closer to the Edge" and on the back "Special Guest" it was a little joke they pulled on Dallas that everyone was wearing except for him and he had no clue what was going on until he bumped into Bruce (lighting director that was explaining it to us) while tuning the guitar.

The crowd was extremely pumped, but do you expect anything less than a mainly Brazilian crowd? This confirmed by my little bro that was in the stands and had the time of his life.

Oh yeah the GA line all pitched in money/chump change to copies made of signs that said 40. It turned out the money went instead to get plastic plates in which we all wrote really big 40 on it and held it up during walk on as a special request. After seeing the nearly 50 plates that survived the show (a lot ended up knocked to the ground and stepped on) Bono said "I can do that" when there was a little breather b/t the verse and chorus. So that's how it ended up getting played. Basically instead of the hallelujahs it was "how long, how long, how long to sing this song" (not this perfect it but basically it) sang to the beat and music of walk on.

I think that's all there is to add. I don't remember Bono kissing any girls, but I might have just not seen it. This was definately the best show I went to, or at least a tie with the first Miami
tongue.gif

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

The Cotton Candy guy thing was hilarious. The whole arena stopped and looked at the guy, he had no idea!! Of the two shows, I must agree with Achtung Zooropa, Miami was the better one. The crows was , to say the least,more enthusiastic....and they changed the setlist up a bit too...

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

Back
Top Bottom