Take this heart and make it break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
What's your take on this line? Is it the darkness before dawn? You have to go through the pain to appreciate the pleasure/joy?

I think it's "make it brave" too

:shrug: It's so unclear the way Bono sings it and the music stops right at that moment.

Last edited:
I think it means you can love so much that it hurts-it almost breaks your heart or makes you cry. See I am tearing up right now thinking about someone I love that way.

The booklet says it's break.

And I agree with Bono's Dolll. I think to love someone so deeply is too break your heart.

the lyrics are "make it break".

Bono is pleading with Yahweh (God) to humble him - to tear him from his false sense of ego and self-importance. :yes:

This is what Jesus alludes to in the New Testament - that unless a man is born again with the innocence of a child, he (she) can't enter the Kingdom of heaven.

Bono knows that the only way to remove the haughtiness of the human character - the self-importance of the human ego - is to completely shatter it so that it lies on the floor of your consciousness utterly broken. Only then can God come in and reform you into the sort of person you could be.

So when Bono says "take this heart and make it break" - he's asking Yahweh in his MOST SINCERE AND URGENT VOICE TO BREAK HIS HUMAN EGO AND TO TURN HIM INTO THE PERSON GOD WANTS HIM TO BE. :angel:

It's a perfect ending for a perfect song/psalm of praise and thanksgiving to Yahweh (God).

Thanks for this thread.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

When I first heard it, I thought it was "brave" too - and I thought what an uplifting note to end the CD on! We all pray for braveness to get us through our lives. But earlier in these songs there's comments about the heart that hurts/feels, whatever, is the heart that's alive.

Jamila said:
the lyrics are "make it break".

Bono is pleading with Yahweh (God) to humble him - to tear him from his false sense of ego and self-importance. :yes:

This is what Jesus alludes to in the New Testament - that unless a man is born again with the innocence of a child, he (she) can't enter the Kingdom of heaven.

Bono knows that the only way to remove the haughtiness of the human character - the self-importance of the human ego - is to completely shatter it so that it lies on the floor of your consciousness utterly broken. Only then can God come in and reform you into the sort of person you could be.

So when Bono says "take this heart and make it break" - he's asking Yahweh in his MOST SINCERE AND URGENT VOICE TO BREAK HIS HUMAN EGO AND TO TURN HIM INTO THE PERSON GOD WANTS HIM TO BE. :angel:

It's a perfect ending for a perfect song/psalm of praise and thanksgiving to Yahweh (God).

Thanks for this thread.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

You are right! This is how I interpreted the lyric too. I makes perfect sense and ties beautifully with the rest of the album.

Jamila said:

well put. this is my take, and this interpretation fits perfectly with the whole song (take these shoes, mouth, hands, etc). Take this whole life.

jp

I agree completely with Jamalia's interpretation about "take this heart..."
I also believe that:
"waiting for the dawn" is waiting for heaven
"always pain before a child" is born is the pain Jesus suffered before we can be "born again" and achieve salvation
"what no man can own, no man can take" we don't own anything, so we can't take our earthly possesions to heaven and/or we have to rely on God to give us what we can't take on our own (salvation)

wow you all are putting way to much complication into that line.

ive just always taken it as someone who is at their death bed and pleading with god the entire song about the right direction and at the end simply says "take my heart and make it break" meaning i dont own this body, god does. and by breaking it, god is taking his child back into heaven. :)

:applaud: Jamila :applaud:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love Bono's humility in this song. I for one have never warmed up to "Wake Up Dead Man". I know it's not meant to be disrespectful, but I've never been comfortable with it. Yahweh makes me happy and makes me look up at the same time. That's quite a feat on a rock & roll record.

hhhhhmmmmmmm

I can't quite agree, or maybe my interpetation comes from the changes in my own spirituality over the years....

imho....and i even disagree with this aspect when it shows up in some what similar, and somewhat different ways in other other religions....

not the easiest to explain, but here goes.......

first musically & vocally & some of the lyrics- Yahweh is one of the most beautful U2 songs I've ever heard [and one of my favs on this album]

I believe it is healthy to have a certain amount of ego, unlike tmost of the Eastern Reilgions that [and maybe some forms of Chrstianity] say the ego is to totally be oblitherated/or transcendent.

But i think a person's inner self/ and inner 'should' be 'pourous' to a dregree alllowing other's essenses to 'touch' with yours so to speak...so you can help better to empathize with peole and learn from them.

it's realated to the Deep Engeries of Light within us all [tho in some people/ and at sometimes those engeries are 'eclipsed' to various degrees. ANd some 'grey' energies maynot be so terrible after all.... ANd 'dark' engeries try to learn from them, work through them, see what can be changed towards Light Engeries from them.

But I don't think, since Bono is doing great work NOW, in the areas he has chosen to do so in, and hopefully do even more good works as he continues through this life. But I don't think his heart 'needs' to be 'broken' any morew than it already has been, by the early difficulties in his life,then conditions he's experienced firsthand- unlike most people.

Even for those of us trying to keep up with these issues and do postitve things in this world.... our hearts don't need to be broken anymore .....we just need to stay in touch with what we know, keep learning and do what we can. Whether that's alot at some points , or a little, or sometimes nothing at times...

"and you give & you give & you give yourself away..." Well sometimes if you Do that TOO much [not just speaking about Bono here] you can kill [NOT in suicide-sense] yourself at worse, or become very ill.

Sometimes Matyr-dom is :uhoh: :reject: rather over-rated I think.
It's important to try and stay more balanced than not over all, over time. Of course they'll be times when you are not balanced. But they should be for your own health less than more.

You cant often be much good, if you are so burned out/ill to yourself, ANd THEN certainly not much good to others for any longer term efforts. ANd Bono certainly sounds from some of his latest interviews that he wanted to be around for the Long Haul- Musically and for his work on Extreme Poverty/ Aids/ Africa Etc.

And Women in general have always gotten most of the brunt of this type of thinking. But an open-hearted man like Bono has it, too.

For myself I really would have preferred to have the last word be"...take my heart and make it wake..."

{there are real metaphysical reasons why it's not good to constancely evoke words like break [there are others] in refering emotional/metaphorical aspects of the heart esp but other body parts etc. Not to go into them here just pointing in out]

WHY that choice? well first of all I would have preferred awake but it doens't fit lyrically in the tempo/line...

but to me it means keeping your Heart Awake to others peoples conditions, bad circumstances etc and trying to do something about it to help change it/ or helping them to help themselves change things. Whether as a single individual persaon or in gropus or a mix in good works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom