SYCMIOYO vs. Stuck in a Moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthew_Page2000

War Child
No bashing here please. I like ATYCLB.

That said does anyone else feel like Sometimes is the sound of U2 getting Stuck RIGHT?
Both are soul songs with Motown influences.
Both are meditations on death and loss.
Stuck is a great song but the production and style get in the way of the passion a little bit.
Sometimes is heavily produced as well but it has an immediacy to it that chokes me up every time I hear it. Just a tremendous, tremendous song. And I for one think the comarisons to One are legit.

SYCMIOYO for me

I like Stuck In A Moment, but Sometines... is more powerful

Sometimes is an incredible song, but I'm partial to Stuck. It was the song that got me into U2 and has more sentimental value to me than almost any U2 song.

That said, Stuck.

One is a ballad, thw other is a Philly soul thing. Stuck is more of a joy, up tempo feel, even the lyrics are reaffirming. Sometimes is like a hymm.

MrBrau1 said:
One is a ballad, thw other is a Philly soul thing. Stuck is more of a joy, up tempo feel, even the lyrics are reaffirming. Sometimes is like a hymm.

Very well put. Stuck is soul music for everyone to sing along while Sometimes makes us listen and reflect on our lost loved ones.

I would say Sometimes because the bombastic sounding production hurts Stuck.

Definitely Stuck for me. There's nothing in Sometimes that beats just the first line or two of Stuck.

I like SYCMIOYO better. Just seems less forced and less like U@ trying to do the whole soul thing..i think there is more soul in the new song in that it's very emotional and very u2. Great Christmas time song though..family, loss all those things taht make the holidays such a joyous time right?

Sometimes... is hauntingly heart-felt. Right to the very end when you get to the outro bit, you hear a band that just poured some emotion over your ears. Stuck is okay. It just feels too "plastic" to me.

I adore ATYCLB, but I was never really a fan of "Stuck...". "Sometimes..." starts out a bit slow, but then it just soars - far more than "Stuck..." ever did. Therefore, this is an easy choice for me. "Sometimes..." easily beats "Stuck...".

Without doubt Stuck. Sometimes is a bit of a mess although the lyrics are amazing it is still (in my opinion) the weakest track on the album and a poor choice of second single. I cant see the band release Sometimes and then releasing OOTS a single or two later - i think its one or the other single wise and so i'm dissapointed they have'nt gone for OOTS. Thats how i feel anyway.

SYCMIOYO for me. I liked Stuck in a moment when I first heard the album. It was actually the song that got me into the album but now I don't even listen to it. It is one of my skips on ATYCLB.

For me, the winner is Sometimes by a margin of about 14000^3 power.

Stuck was overproduced, forced, and too formal. The live version really brought out its essential elements though, and it's certainly not a bad song- its brought tears welling to my eyes more than once.

Sometimes, however, has made a grown man gush.

Last edited:
God, I hope we don't have 20,000 people sobbing by the end of this song live.

I'll try but I can't guarantee it.

SYCMIOYO for me. I agree with others who have said that Stuck is over produced.

When I initially saw the song title on the new album track lists months ago I was afraid that it would be a knock off of SIAM. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is strides above SIAM musically and lyrically. This song just has soul. Bono hasn't sounded like this in years.

elfyx said:

Sometimes, however, has made a grown man gush.

i haven't made it through 'sometimes' once without tearing up. i was full out ugly crying the first time i listened to it. it's a tremendously powerful song, emotional and intense. the most intimiate song they've ever recorded.

oh yeah, i vote for 'sometimes'. 'stuck' just never did it for me.

I liked stuck alot when it first came out but its a song you have to be in the mood for! I even normally skip the live versions, sorry to say. I find that a lot of casual U2 fans though, love the song!

Some girls at work with limited U2 knowledge love stuck, and my cousin, barely a casual U2 fan, Loves it too...and he's into Zepplin, AC/DC, Jet, Green day.

For the album versions, definetly Sometimes for me. It is such an emotional track. But Stuck's live version was incredible, so soulful. We'll see what they come up with for Sometimes on the next tour.

"SYCMIOYO" is a perfected version of "Stuck In A Moment". ATYCLB rocks! Why would people suggest otherwise?... It's what U2 needed, it's what fans needed. Could U2 have survived with another Pop? Like Pop or not (which I do!), the commercial success and critical praise of the band would have dimished.

Back
Top Bottom