SYCMIOYO video avaible on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Wow, it looks like now it's getting trendy not to like the new stuff (new album, new videos...) :wink:

p.s. i'm not too satisfied with the album either... (nor the album, but that's a longer story:huh: )
:wink:

Which you're repeating endlessly...

This might be the official video for the UK release. Remember Stuck in a moment had different videos for the UK/USA. This could be happening again? I dunno just guessing considering CD:UK did hype it as the new video.

considering that they don't have many choices for single releases from htaab, sometimes is a good selection as the next single.

messkell said:
considering that they don't have many choices for single releases from htaab, sometimes is a good selection as the next single.

They don't? SYCMIOYO, Miracle Drug, ABOY, Original Of The Species, City Of Blinding Lights, Man And A Woman all sound like they have commercial potential to me.

The girl they show at the end is Jo Whiley - Radio 1 DJ who did her show from the studio that day.

zooroper said:

That's how you measure quality?!? :ohmy:

You didn't ask about quality. Rather, you simply stated it was a bad choice for a second single. The person replied that if it was such a bad choice, why is it receiving such a tremendous response on radio? This has nothing to do with quality. It has to do with a song's success and that's what the person addressed. His response was appropriate given what you wrote.

Now, if you said, "I think this is one of the weakest tracks on HTDAAB as it is poorly written and overly dramatic. As such, I feel and it is a poor choice for a second single" then his response would have been improper. :wink:

messkell said:

I disagree.

I felt this was true for "Pop". IMO, "Pop" was the one album that had the least appealing cross-over songs. This isn't to say that the songs are bad, but that they wouldn't be big hits. While some enjoyed success, it wasn't at the level hoped (especially since back then CD singles were part of the equation).

In contrast, I feel HTDAAB has quite a few potential singles besides "Vertigo". We have ABoY (rocking, short, catchy and uplifting - perfect for radio), "Sometimes..." (sentimental, emotional, great counter-balance song), "City of Blinding Lights" (a bit long - may need trimming, but has that ridiculously uplifting and catchy staccato refrain), and "Miracle Drug" (heavier than "Sometimes..." but still a great tune for radio). Arguments could even be made for "Original of the Species" and "A Man and a Woman".

Keep in mind, single is something that appeals to the masses - not necessarily to U2 fans. I think all of these songs have the potential to cross-over and become mainstream hits.

I think City of blinding lights would have to be edited so much it may not have a chance of being a single. I'd bet on Miracle Drug instead.

All because of you is catchy, and has appeal to all who like rock/guitar music. Next to Crumbs, it was my pick for a single when I first heard the album.

Now, my singles would be; after Vertigo - Sometimes (ballad), Original of the species (pop song) - both Sometimes and Original could have a big cross-over appeal to audiences outside of U2's fanbase and Miracle Drug (the anthemic, power U2-type song).

neutral said:
Do I want to order the Sometimes DVD single for this video? :scratch:

It's my favorite live version of SYCMIOYO. I guess if you don't care much for the video, you can always just listen to the mp3.

IMO, more or less every song on HTDAAB is made like a single. I think this is their most commercial album so far. The proove is that they "ruined" some songs that could've been great. I.e.=Miracle Drug could've been like WOWY, has a great melody but it builds up too early, and oesn't hve the proper ending etc...
LAPOE=could've been Whole Lotta Love no 2, with that big riff and everything, but the production pushed it down IMO.
I could say sth for almost(!) every song...

p.s. thats MY opinion, I know no one will probably agree

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
IMO, more or less every song on HTDAAB is made like a single. I think this is their most commercial album so far. The proove is that they "ruined" some songs that could've been great. I.e.=Miracle Drug could've been like WOWY, has a great melody but it builds up too early, and oesn't hve the proper ending etc...
LAPOE=could've been Whole Lotta Love no 2, with that big riff and everything, but the production pushed it down IMO.
I could say sth for almost(!) every song...

p.s. thats MY opinion, I know no one will probably agree

I agree with you that they perhaps spolit some of the songs slightly, I just disagree with you choices. I think 'All Because Of You' sounds very overproduced and, as much as I like SYCMIOYO, I would like to have heard it a little rawer than it is - more JT style.

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:

I agree with you that they perhaps spolit some of the songs slightly, I just disagree with you choices. I think 'All Because Of You' sounds very overproduced and, as much as I like SYCMIOYO, I would like to have heard it a little rawer than it is - more JT style.

I completely agree with your statements. I just didn't want to be too boring, know what I mean...? :wink: And yes, JT would be nice...:drool:

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

I completely agree with your statements. I just didn't want to be too boring, know what I mean...? :wink: And yes, JT would be nice...:drool:

haha, sorry. I would have contructed some more interesting and indepth reasons, but i'm just too tired to use that part of my brain right now :wink:

maybe I should just go post pictures in PLEBA....

My point exactly Aaardvark, its ridiculous that they cant get the video out,
Management decisions at the moment really are missing the mark by a long way

Back
Top Bottom