SYCMIOYO radio campaign needed by INTERFERENCE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
For whatever reason, U2 seem to have retreated from the spotlight for the last few months. I think it probably has a lot to do with their personal issues and the angst over even having a tour, not to mention the 1st presale debacle. Regardless, HTDAAB is a great album that's not getting the exposure it derserves, and Paul M./Interscope have had a forgetful singles strategy after Vertigo.

Sometimes is a great song, and more than anything, any radio time used up by J.Lo, Britney, 50-cent, Ashlee, Justin, Ludacris, etc., that can be stolen by U2 is a victory for radio and the music industry! :yes:

Sometimes has the potential to be a major crossover hit for U2. WE NEED A GRASS-ROOTS RADIO CAMPAIGN THAT ONLY INTERFERENCERS COULD PULL OFF! :help: I am now a regular at Zootopia, but this fansite is the bomb, and we've done this before! So I'm posting this here instead of U2.com. BTW, here is Billboard's March 5 review of Sometimes in the "Hit Predictor" Section:

This Week's Billboard

Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
U2
Producer(s): Chris Thomas, Steve Lillywhite, Nellee Hooper
Writer(s): U2
Publisher(s): Universal Music Publishing; Blue Mountain Music; Mother Music
Genre: ROCK
Label/Catalog Number: Interscope 11362 (CD promo)
Source: Billboard Magazine
Originally Reviewed: March 05, 2005

Fresh from its Grammy Awards performance of "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" (not to mention three wins), U2 releases the tender ballad as the third single from its global smash "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The cut is already off to a fast start at adult top 40 and modern AC, and certainly modern rock can't be far behind. The song's chorus, sung in Bono's familiar falsetto, is a knockout: "And it's you when I look in the mirror/And it's you when I don't pick up the phone/Sometimes you can't make it on your own." The singer penned the emotional track for his late father, though the sentiment of the cut should hit home with just about anyone with a heart. While it's a no-brainer that rock stations will play this, we hope mainstream top 40 will also come onboard.—KC

:up:

SYCMIOYO is going to live or die on radio play only, and even though it has debuted on Billboard's Adult Top 40 and in 2 weeks is rising fast at #24, we need a radio campaign to make this song cross over and make it onto the Top 100! Here's any easy way to help: :help:

Go to http://www.radioandrecords.com/ and pull down the "Formats" menu. Just about every radio station in the U.S. is listed, in it's proper format, and the charts at this site are very exact and break down how U2 is doing in each format. When you pull down a format, there is a menu to the right of the screen that says "View Stations" by format, and then a link below that to all the radio stations websites for the Format you have pulled down. Most station websites have a "Request a Song" link that might take all of 30 seconds to do...this song deserves better!

U2 is still getting more airplay out of Vertigo than any other song in the U.S. There has been no real marketing push for Sometimes, or ABOY for that matter, and yet the single basically released itself after U2 peformed it at the grammy awards. It doesn't appear there will be a download sales push or CD release, so this song has to succeed on airplay alone, and it can. Below is a summary of how fast Sometimes has taken to the radio in less than 2 weeks with virtually no promotion from Interscope. PLEASE take a few minutes and request this song in or around your home town...replies to this post with success stories will keep us pumped up as we see our campaign turn into success!

Again, its http://www.radioandrecords.com/, and you don't need to refer to this long-winded note...it's fairly self explanatory. And here is how the song is doing in just 10-14 days "on it's own", pun intended! Sometimes even U2 can't make it on their own, especially with crap music ruling the global (not just U.S.!) airwaves these days. This song deserves at least 3 grammies!!!

LAST WEEK...JUST 2ND WEEK WITH SOMETIMES ON RADIO, FROM RADIO&RECORDS.COM WHICH COVERS ALL RADIO STATIONS IN U.S.

Hot Adult Contemporary Format - Airplay charts

SYCMIOYO rises from 33 to 25 this week with 630 plays :rockon:
SYCMIOYO is #3 for most stations added with 9
SYCMIOYO is #2 for most increased plays with +246

Active Rock Format - Airplay Charts

ABOY falls to #30 with 365 plays
SYCMIOYO #3 for "Active Rock going for Adds"

Rock Format - Airplay Charts

ABOY falls from #8 to #9 with 366 plays
Vertigo #4 for most recurrent played with 202 plays
SYCMIOYO #3 for "Rock going for Adds"

Alternative Format - Airplay Charts

ABOY drops from #24 to #35 with 479 plays
SYCMIOYO debuts at #50 with 237 plays :rockon:
SYCMIOYO #4 for most stations added with 8
SYCMIOYO #4 for most increased plays with +156

Triple A Format - Airplay Charts

ABOY drops from #4 to #6 with 336 plays
SYCMIOYO rises from #22 to #12 with 274 plays :rockon:
SYCMIOYO #1 for most increased plays with +82
Vertigo #3 for most played recurrents with 164 plays

The good news is that SYCMIOYO appears headed to a #1 spot on the HAC and AAA chart formats w/o any promotion. It's also encouraging that it's about to crack Rock and Active Rock formats.

CURRENT AAA FORMAT FROM DIFFERENT SOURCE WITH DIFFERENT TIMING...CAPTURES THE ENTIRE 2-WEEK PERIOD. SOMETIMES WILL PASS VERTIGO THIS WEEK...MAYBE ABOY, TOO, ALTHOUGH IT'S STILL HANGING IN THE TOP 10.

28 U2
Vertigo Interscope 1075 -211 24 10

29 Nickelback
Someday Roadrunner 1041 -25 31 9

30 Dido
White Flag Arista 989 5 31 22

31 No Doubt
It's My Life Interscope 982 23 31 24

32 Avril Lavigne
My Happy Ending Arista 947 -16 31 3

33 Tim McGraw
Live Like You Were Dying Curb 920 149 12 33

34 BIGGEST MOVER U2 :rockon:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own Interscope 898 231 3 34

this is awesome! great job beLIEve! i hope people take the time to help out. i dont live in the US, but i already requested the song once, hehe:wink:

Mods, this thread should be stickied. People, post links to the requests pages of local stations. That's the quickest way to get people going to sites and asking for this song.

Given Jick's thread about how HTDAAB is "failing" in the U.S. and how the album may be out of the Top 50, here's a chance to help. If "Sometimes..." becomes a hit, HTDAAB will rise on the U.S. charts again.

So be sure to call your local stations and request "Sometimes..."! :yes:

Let's help our boys for helping us...

dafish1234 said:
Didn't get get GA's, but at least I get to bring a friend this time to MSG (section 423). Should be a great concert on Saturday night.

BTW, anyone know if Ticketmaster will let you change the delivery option on your tickets after the sale? I got mine via ticketfast, and I would rather switch to standard mail....

Mods, please, what he said! I'm going to bump it anyway to keep it on the front page until Sometimes breaks through today's stubborn radio formats.

The presale looks to be a tremendous improvement from a band that didn't have to respond, let alone on national TV. That's reason for some to get behind this radio campaign. Or maybe you really love the song. HTDAAB is now performing similar to POP did after 15 weeks on the charts. I know it's already sold twice as many albums in the U.S. than POP, but Sometimes deserves to be on the radio...it is U2's "One" of this decade so far.

It's really easy. Here's all I'm doing: Just a few minutes to fire off 3-4 e-mails where you can cut and paste a short request. Once it's in your sent box, sending out another note every few days would help a lot. This worked for BD, and we had a lot of Interference members behind it!

I know my original post was so long...

ybird3k said:
Anyone got a list of radio stations?

I know that no one wants to read my long post, so here's a recap of how to get right to any radio's website in just a few minutes:

1) Go to http://www.radioandrecords.com/

2) Click on drop down "FORMATS" menu near the top left of page

3) Pick a format, one of the ones in my post, let's say Alternative

4) On the right side of the screen, you will see this:

Alternative Playlists
Search by Station Calls:
View Stations:
--Formats-- All Formats

Alternative
Radio Station Links

5) Click on Alternative Radio Station Links and you will get links to just about every Alternative radio station in the U.S., looking like this:

Alternative Radio Station Links

WEQX-FM Albany
KTEG-FM Albuquerque
WNNX-FM Atlanta
WJSE-FM Atlantic City
Etc., Etc., Etc.,

6) Let's say you live in Albany (or not, it doesn't matter). Click on that link, and you will see a link on their homepage on the left side that says "Make an E-Quest". Here's an abbreviated version of what you will see, similar to a lot of radio websites:

Request your favorite EQX tunes!

#1 A Perfect Circle - "Passive"

#2 Arcade Fire - "Neighborhood #3 (Powere Out)"

#3 Beck - "E-pro"

Etc., Etc., Etc.

#48 U2 - "All Because of You"

Did we miss one? (Write it in)

7) Fill in "U2 - Sometimes you can't make it on your own" and just click submit!

On this station, they then suggest you fill out a form to make an e-quest. Just do the bare minimum, or skip it and move on to another station if that's a hassle. If you fill it out, though, future E-quests will take all of 10 seconds!

8) Repeat as often as you like on as many formats and stations as you can...that's all it takes, and it WILL make a difference!

Here's to Somtimes making it to the top!

Thanks,

beLIEve

OOPS!

I don't know how I got the wrong quote in my first reponse requesting that we honor Axver's request to get this thread stickied, but here is what I meant to agree with!

Axver said:

Mods, this thread should be stickied. People, post links to the requests pages of local stations. That's the quickest way to get people going to sites and asking for this song.

Mods, please, what he said! I'm going to bump it anyway to keep it on the front page until Sometimes breaks through today's stubborn radio formats.

The presale looks to be a tremendous improvement from a band that didn't have to respond, let alone on national TV. That's reason for some to get behind this radio campaign. Or maybe you really love the song. HTDAAB is now performing similar to POP did after 15 weeks on the charts. I know it's already sold twice as many albums in the U.S. than POP, but Sometimes deserves to be on the radio...it is U2's "One" of this decade so far.

It's really easy. Here's all I'm doing: Just a few minutes to fire off 3-4 e-mails where you can cut and paste a short request. Once it's in your sent box, sending out another note every few days would help a lot. This worked for BD, and we had a lot of Interference members behind it

Well we had a sticky to do this for Vertigo so I guess this will be okay. I'm going to try to find that thread, there was a lot of contact info for radio stations.

Okay, here it is. Please don't bump it, it's pretty old. There's a lot of station info in it to read though.

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97211

Last edited:
Thank you Neutral!

neutral said:
Well we had a sticky to do this for Vertigo so I guess this will be okay. I'm going to try to find that thread, there was a lot of contact info for radio stations.

Okay, here it is. Please don't bump it, it's pretty old. There's a lot of station info in it to read though.

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97211

Thank you Neutral! BTW, here is today's update from Portugal:

Squire said:
Portugal: HTDAAB stays in #12. SYCMIOYO is finally #1. :)

Chart: 1-1-1-1-3-4-5-9-13-13-13-13-14-12-12

Vertigo Run: 1-1-2-5-9-13-16-20-19-12-14-10-14-18-18

SYCMIOYO Run: 3-1

Sales: Aprox. 70.000

Sometimes is hitting #1 in many countries, while it's just being released in Germany and others. It debuted at #4 last week on the Eurochart Top 100, probably on the strength of the UK#1 and others.

On the World Chart, however, Sometimes run has been 29-15-15. Vertigo stayed on this chart forever, with a 6 week run at #2 in the World. Bottom line is that while we need Sometimes to help U.S. sales, it will also help Sometimes become the Global hit it deserves to be, and perhaps it can reach #1 on the Global chart, as no U2 single has ever done that, although Vertigo was soooo close.

This chart only goes back to 1997, but BD only topped out at #6, I think, so Vertigo is U2's biggest worldwide hit in the last 8 years or longer. Look for SYCMIOYO radio play and Billboard updates in the "Peeling off those dollar Bills" forum if you are interested. If you don't like statistics and chart watching, don't bother, but you could still make a request for Sometimes at your local (or not) radio station. :wink:

Let's make this happen!

Cheers,

beLIEve

213 views on this thread but just a few replies...I assume the views translate into at least some requests. The "Peeling off those Dollar Bills" forum is getting updated today and tomorrow with chart statistics, and SYCMIOYO has broken into the Modern Rock format on Billboard with a debut this week at #39. However, it stalled this week on the Adult Rock Top 40, with Vertigo holding at 23 and Sometimes holding at 24.

That's it for Billboard, and this is why SYCMIOYO needs our help. It's up against songs that have 1) well-established videos, 2) get promoted by their label, 3) are for sale - download or CD, 4) and have actually been officially released.

The silence from U2.com is astonishing! Right now, SYCMIOYO is performing like UTEOTW and Kite, songs that briefly charted because they were so good enough DJ's just played them. At least Sometimes made it onto VH1 this week. I'll post the airplay updates ASAP today or tomorrow.

I'll say it again...Sometimes is U2's best ballad since One IMO. It may not help album sales, but maybe that's not really the point. Modern day radio is sickening, and this song can change that, if only just a bit. It deserves radio play, and we at Interference can make that happen. So let's make it happen!

**DELETED duplicate post** I think you all have heard enough from me :wink:

Last edited:
Where the song has been requested, it's working! There are not that many people who actually request songs anymore...other than kids. I've watched Sometimes go from "no plays" to "heavy rotation" in the last week in certain areas, and I've seen it in the Top 10 most requested songs on the same stations (with just 21 requests, so like I said, it doesn't take much).

I've even talked to a few DJ's. One was WELL AWARE of the song and liked it very much, but didn't really think the listeners in NC wanted to hear it. Radio is in such sad shape when DJ's play 50 cent and hate it but won't play U2 even though they love it. Guess they're just doing what they're told for today's market, and that's where we can make a difference.

Make just one request today in your home or far away market, it doesn't matter with e-mail request links available at so many home stations. Link reminder...easy enough to follow the directions after you choose a format. This song has potential!

http://www.radioandrecords.com/

i work as a DJ in a radio station, and its true that we usually end up playing songs we really hate :madspit:

Critical week for Sometimes in the U.S., as it has not exactly raced up the charts in the various formats where it is being played. Next week, though, the song will be released on Mainstream radio. This is when we'll see if the song truly has "crossover" potential. Make your requests!

Available for Airplay - 3/29/05 Mainstream:

Amerie "One Thing" (Columbia)
Bonnie McKee "Somebody" (Repriese)
Mariah Carey "We Belong Together" (Island)
Simple Plan "Untitled" (Lava)
U2 "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" (Interscope)

It is breaking through

Headache in a Suitcase said:
just a side note... i hear sometimes you can't make it on your own on the radio ALL the time... and i rarely listen to the radio.

It has certainly broken through on key formats, and it's helped the album. I hope it breaks into the BB Hot 100 this week - it is currently at 109 with a bullet!

I still make e-requests. It really doesn't take that many people to help push a song onto the airwaves, and I'm sure we've helped a bit, but Sometimes seems to be succeeding all by itself. No promotion, no official release, just the grammy performance. It's almost like U2 decided that after all the promotion behind Vertigo, they would step back and see if the songs could stand on their own. So far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom