Sweetest Thing voted Number One ESSENTIAL B-side (by a reader of 'Q')...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
A reader of Q Magazine has written what they think are the 10 ESSENTIAL B-sides, which are...

1. U2- The Sweetest Thing
2. Nirvana- Dive
3. Adam and the Ants- Physical (You're So)
4. Beatles- Rain
5. The Smiths- Oscillate Wildly
6. Gary Glitter- Rock'N'Roll Part 2
7. Prince- 17 Days
8. Beck- MTV Makes me want to Smoke Crack
9. Hole- Old Age
10. Pearl Jam- Yellow Ledbetter

I personally feel that Rain (Beatles) should be at Number TWO behind U2's 'The Three Sunrises'...the BEST B-Side ever (Salomé and Lady with the Spinning Head as alternatives!!!)

Agree with the list? I don't.

:shrug:
I can't comment on other songs (LOL at Beck's song title), but I think the U2 choice is good. IMO Sweetest thing is the one U2 B-side I could imagine deserving to be on an album.

(the best one IMO is North and south of the river, but that doesn't really count because Christy Moore co-wrote it)

U2girl said:
:shrug:
I can't comment on other songs (LOL at Beck's song title), but I think the U2 choice is good. IMO Sweetest thing is the one U2 B-side I could imagine deserving to be on an album.

(the best one IMO is North and south of the river, but that doesn't really count because Christy Moore co-wrote it)

It was almost on The Joshua Tree

Lady With the Spinning Head should be there instead. DAMN does anyone love that song as much as I do?

La la la la la la la la la la la....

When they recorded that track!! BAH-DUM-TSH!!!

Joke, it's a great shame that track was a B-side! Honestly cannot imagine it being on Achtung Baby, but if they had kept it for 'Pop' maybe like 'Wake up Dead Man' (although the original HARDLY appeared in the album- just the name, blah blah...)

Couldn't disagree more with Sweetest Thing being #1. Best U2 B-Side is Spanish Eyes. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop) is a close 2nd, followed by Salome and A Celebration.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure Sweetest Thing would make my top 10 U2 B-sides.
IMO, it's not even the best B-side from the JT era.

Like someone to blame said:
Couldn't disagree more with Sweetest Thing being #1. Best U2 B-Side is Spanish Eyes. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop) is a close 2nd, followed by Salome and A Celebration.

Just my 2 cents.

I pretty much agree with you. Spanish Eyes and WDIAGW? are my two favourite b-sides right now. A Celebration was an a-side, though.

WDIAGW? doesn't really fit on any U2 album, sadly ...

Yellow Ledbetter should be higher on that list...IMO it's one of Pearl Jam's best songs. Those of you who own the "Live In New York" dvd should agree how awesome that song is, especially live.

That being said, I've been listening to the Salome bootlegs lately and there are some very awesome songs that aren't even B-sides (but should have been). Heaven and Hell is one of my favorite U2 songs; "I Feel Free," "Doctor Doctor" and "Where Did It All Go Wrong" are all awesome also.

I think Q is paying lip service for the exclusive on HTDAAB they got from the band.

"Dive" is awesome, and I don't even like Kurt Cobain. "Dive, dive, dive, dive in meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Not better than "Yellow Ledbetter," but there's a law that says you have to have Cobain in the top five of every music list ever. Eddie better buy a shotgun if he wants that kind of recognition.

Last edited:
"Oscillate Wildly"? Are you kidding me? Practically every song on Louder Than Bombs would be worthier than that. I don't hate the song, but surely "Rubber Ring" or "Please Please Please" top it...

The whole crap list doesn´t feature Bob Marley´s "Africa Unite" which was one of the best B-Sides ever.

Spanish Eyes;
Hallelujah Here She Comes;
Holy Joe;
Sweetest Thing;
are all better than Wild Honey

Back
Top Bottom