Sweetest Thing: B-side or single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which version do you prefer?

• B-side Version

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Single Version

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

miss becky

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I listened to the 80's B-sides disc today on my way to and from work. Mostly Sweetest Thing. Then I decided to pop over to U2.com and watch the video. And...and...I recoiled in horror.

I really really really do not like the single version of this song.

The pacing drives me crazy. It's too slow! I sing along and I'm all, "Oh oh oh the sweetest-goddamn-it-hurry-it-up-thing." The vocal is too polished and it's a bit off. The "do do do" bit at the end makes me cringe. The strings are nice but that's about the only thing I like. I much prefer the raw B-side. The vocal that sounds like it was done in a single, very enthusiastic take. The fact that there is no Edge solo. The percussion in the second half of the song. The unfinished feel.

So who's with me? Which version do you prefer, and why?

I prefer the single version, actually. Mainly for the vocals - they're less rough and raw, more refined and listenable.

I preferred the b-side version for a long time, but recently I've reverted to preferring the single version. I love the strings on it, and it reminds me of the tip end of the Pop era - please don't mesh this with ATYCLB/Bomb, the video clearly shows it's Pop era, 1998. I have sentimental reasons for preferring the single version now.

Axver said:
I prefer the single version, actually. Mainly for the vocals - they're less rough and raw, more refined and listenable.

And that's exactly why I like the B-side better. I love the raw feeling to it. You can almost hear the apology in his voice.

I like both of them for different reasons. The b-side fits into the complete Joshua Tree easier (gotta love that 19 song mix!), but the single version stands alone better.

miss becky said:

And that's exactly why I like the B-side better. I love the raw feeling to it. You can almost hear the apology in his voice.

I think his voice sounds kind of strained, but not in an apologetic sense. The single version is much more pleasing on the ears.

I actually like the sugaryness of the single version. I think it's cute, and seemed appropriate given the apologetic-ness of the song.

B-Side, by a long shot. No syruppy guitars throughout, Bono's awesome been-up-all-night voice, how he says "stormy," and the great way he sings the chorus through the whole song.

The single is just that...a single built for mass appeal (ack on the "do do do" stuff!) and loses some soul.

RobH said:
B-side...no syrupy guitar solo at the end.
I can't help it; I love Edge's syrupy guitar. Totally saved "Stuck In A Moment" for me.

I prefer the B-side version, but the A-side is pretty good too.

the b-side version, definitely. the single version is too syrupy and his voice in the song points out every note he used to be able to hit and now can't. what sounded raw in the b-side version now sounds strained and just ugh.

I like both of them for different reasons - the rawness of the older version and the, well, "sweetness" (LOL) of the single version.

I think my fondness for the single version has a LOT to do with the music video - with Bono doing all of this amusing stuff to please Ali (flowers, parade, orchestra, etc.). I just loved how it seemed to be a personal, fun little birthday card for Ali.

And yes, I'm a girl, so maybe that has something to do with it... :hmm: ;)

Not sure.........I like the cleaner sound of the single version, but it doesn't have my favorite part (the breakdown in the b-side version).......

I'm sure I'm an idiot, but I am also sure that I have heard a third version of this song on the radio at least twice. I'm really familiar with the two that are being discussed here, but I HAVE heard another, different version. It's smoother than the B-side, but also darker than the single. What the hell was that?

Zootlesque said:
Hey, can somebody post a link for the B-side version? I have only heard the single version! :(

It's on The Best Of 1980-1990 & B-Sides (thus, the 2CD edition).

Aardvark747 said:
I prefer the Single version to be honest. I'm with Bono when he said that the song was too good for a b-side. Far too catchy.

If you want songs too good to be b-sides, look no further than Luminous Times and Spanish Eyes. They both piss all over Sweetest Thing.

Aardvark747 said:

"...but it's her Spanish EyyyyyyEEEEEeeeees, that get me hooooome":drool:

I was just listening to that ... :drool: :drool: :drool: And now Heartland's coming on - I think I've died and gone to musical heaven.

Hmm...I wish I had done this post as a poll. It would be interesting to see the final results.

Single, because it is more finished. The strings and "do do do do" part really help a lot, as do added guitar notes.

The B-side is painful to listen to, with Bono over-doing the vocals.

Walk to the Water, Luminous Times, Spanish Eyes, Sweetest Thing....all could've been on The Joshua Tree. What a prolific songwriting time for them. Any of those songs would've made a great album just that much better. I read somewhere that Bono fought hard to get Sweetest Thing on the album because 'Trip Through Your Wires' didn't make sense without it. I know what he means, even though 'Trip' does just fine on it's own. He also wanted one of those other songs I just mentioned to be a companion piece for one of the songs already on there, but I can't rmember whcih song matched up with which. Personally, I wouldn't have minded if two of those songs had taken the place of 'Exit' and 'Mothers of the Disappeared', though I can understand why those were chosen. (Different sounding, chance for Edge to go crazy, they were big into the whole Amnesty thing back then).
Now I'll brace myself for all the 'Exit' fans to rip me.
And for kind of changing the point of this thread.
Oh, well. Just another day in the forum.

Last edited:
Exit owns all of those songs is easily one of my faves of the Joshua Tree especially live, The Sweetest Thing instead of Trip would have made the album too good

Back
Top Bottom