swaying to the music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I have to say that Bono's mannerisms have changed since the 90s. He used to come off as a quiet, really cool guy in a leather jacket. By the way I'm a straight male. But do you remember the Who's Gonna Ride video? There is no swaying all over the place and no overly ecstatic poses like he seems to be doing these days. The Stuck in a Moment video esp. makes me cringe. But remember videos for Even Better, One, Stay, Lemon, Numb, Mysterious Ways, heck pretty much everything before Stuck. There was a silent almost James Dean type, matchstick at the corner of his mouth type aura about him. I'm sure many girls went ga ga over all that. But now it seems like he's trying too hard to appeal to the kids. Just a thought, this is not a Bono bashing thread.

That's true. A James Dean type doesn't go with the music now... cos it sucks! just kidding. Anyway, I can't speak about the 80s cos Even Better and One were the first videos I saw.

*sigh*

Yup, no mannerisms whatsoever in Even better than the real thing, The fly and Who's gonna ride your wild horses or Lemon or Stay or Discotheque. No way he's trying to look cool there.

Last edited:
unnamed_streets said:
I have to say that Bono's mannerisms have changed since the 90s. He used to come off as a quiet, really cool guy in a leather jacket.

:|

I would have never described Bono that way.

I really have no clue what you are talking about. I've been following u2 since the 80's seen them live several times and none of what you say makes since. What does he do in the Stuck video that makes it seem like he's changed so much?

Can you elaborate?

It's the whole standing and swaying in slow motion, doing a mexican wave at the same time, falling & spilling drinks... I don't know it's too goofy & weird to me. Whereas in Who's Gonna Ride, he just stands and sings with that Charlie Sheen look on his face. Even in award shows, Bono would walk onto the stage and not say much but just have that sarcastic smile on his face. And now with the Vertigo video, he's making poses like he is Jesus Christ or something. I don't know... maybe the 80s were worse.

unnamed_streets said:
I have to say that Bono's mannerisms have changed since the 90s. He used to come off as a quiet, really cool guy in a leather jacket. By the way I'm a straight male. But do you remember the Who's Gonna Ride video? There is no swaying all over the place and no overly ecstatic poses like he seems to be doing these days. The Stuck in a Moment video esp. makes me cringe. But remember videos for Even Better, One, Stay, Lemon, Numb, Mysterious Ways, heck pretty much everything before Stuck. There was a silent almost James Dean type, matchstick at the corner of his mouth type aura about him. I'm sure many girls went ga ga over all that. But now it seems like he's trying too hard to appeal to the kids. Just a thought, this is not a Bono bashing thread.

Mysterious Ways video? If ever we thought Bono was gay, it was then.

unnamed_streets said:
Even in award shows, Bono would walk onto the stage and not say much but just have that sarcastic smile on his face.

Remember the anti-mainstream speech when he had when they won the Grammy for Zooropa?
Remember the anti-Chirac and anti-bomb speech he had when they won Best live act at the MTV awards?

I think I kinda remember the grammy moment for zooropa. But I don't remember the speech. It's just the look I'm talking about by the way, not what he says.

You said "Bono would not talk much at award shows". You are wrong.

As for the look, I think we already covered that.

I think he's acting that way in videos because uhhhhh he's acting in videos?

they're just videos.

i don't think on any other day in bono's life while walking down the street he just randomly falls on his knees and or throws himself into a jesus pose.

he just has to do stuff in videos to convey the energy of the song.

the stuck video is a silly video so that explains bono doing silly things.

david said:
I think he's acting that way in videos because uhhhhh he's acting in videos?

they're just videos.

i don't think on any other day in bono's life while walking down the street he just randomly falls on his knees and or throws himself into a jesus pose.

he just has to do stuff in videos to convey the energy of the song.

the stuck video is a silly video so that explains bono doing silly things.

Yeah, I guess you're right. The Stuck video is a silly one. Discotheque was silly too though but it was so much cooler than Stuck, in my opinion. starting from the opening circular shot of them standing with their backs to each other to the boom chas.

Bono has never been considered 'cool' in the conventional sense, although to me he is. He wears his heart on his sleeve too much for that. Contrived cool is about posing and putting on a front, thats not B.

Bono hid behind the Fly personna in the early 90s....lets not forget he was a character!

Unnamed, ever seen what Bono did at the beginning of every Zoo TV show? Definately wasn't just sitting pretty.

I haven't really watched ZooTV yet fully :reject: except for that crazy Until The End performance and some other songs here and there. Saw more of Popmart.

Okay, forget about the whole Bono's mannerisms thing. Who's with me when I say that the videos have gone down the drain since Beautiful Day. Stuck and Vertigo were both stupid compared to Even Better, One, Stay, Discotheque etc. which were all really really cool.

unnamed_streets said:
Are you stuck in the ZooTV era? :eyebrow:

I'd really hate to point out Bono's hilarious Joshua Tree tour antics, or running around with a white flag during the War Tour.

There have been many eras of Bono, we'll never see ZooTV cool Bono again, but all things must pass.

unnamed_streets said:
Okay, forget about the whole Bono's mannerisms thing. Who's with me when I say that the videos have gone down the drain since Beautiful Day. Stuck and Vertigo were both stupid compared to Even Better, One, Stay, Discotheque etc. which were all really really cool.

SYCMIOYO has the best music video I have ever seen.

And you can't praise Discotheque too much, considering there was quite a backlash over it. I personally don't have much opinion of it.

Axver said:

SYCMIOYO has the best music video I have ever seen.

And you can't praise Discotheque too much, considering there was quite a backlash over it. I personally don't have much opinion of it.

Who cares if there was a backlash. Discotheque rules, both the song and the video. That guitar sound... :drool:

The Fly is the coolest video i have seen,,, THATS a video.

SYCMIOYO suits the song very well,, They did a good job on that video

U2dancing.gif

Yup, always cool and poised a la James Dean

Thanks to whomever made that gif

:wink:

Miroslava said:
U2dancing.gif

Yup, always cool and poised a la James Dean

Thanks to whomever made that gif

:wink:

That's some freaky stuff! I've never seen it before. Where's it from?

And I think Bono's mannerisms in videos just depends on the song. Sure, "Discotheque" was crazy, but look at Bono in the "Please" video. That video is the complete opposite from "Discotheque" when it comes to Bono's mannerisms, and they're both from the same album.

there is only one U2 member that is cool as james dean and has been cool ever since U2 has formed, and that is Larry.. Mullen.. Junior.

Back
Top Bottom