SURVIVOR: The Grand Champion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
The Grand Champion of U2 SURVIVOR and the unofficial favourite song of Interference is...

ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The votes broke down as follows:
Where the Streets Have No Name - 26
One - 25
TOTAL: 51 votes

The Album Winners
Boy: Out of Control (6)
October: Tomorrow (11)
War: New Year's Day (3)
The Unforgettable Fire: A Sort of Homecoming (8)
The Joshua Tree: Where the Streets Have No Name (2)
Rattle & Hum: All I Want is You (4)
Achtung Baby: One (1)
Zooropa: Lemon (7)
POP: Please (10)
All That You Can't Leave Behind: Walk On (5)
Miscellaneous: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (9)

* Final rankings in parentheses.

Well, that brings the game to a close. I'd like to thank those who helped out, specifically the following: Angela Harlem and KhanadaRhodes for posting results in the Results thread, and Blacksword for closing and opening a round when I wasn't available to. If I've forgotten you, my apologies. However, this game could not have been done without those to whom I give the most thanks, you, the voters.

There were over 125 rounds with over 5,000 votes cast. It's been a fun time and I won't soon forget it. Thank you all.

So now, signing off for the last time, I'm your host for U2 Survivor, Dave Curran. :wink:

PS: Now what am I gonna get my fix from??

:sad: I'm sad it's over. I've played almost since the beginning. I was late finding the game and didnt' start until sometime during the October album.

It's been fun. Thanks Dave!

BOOOOOO!!!!!! RECOUNT!!!!!!!

i knew i should have voted with one of my alters

BULLSHIT!

Results are bogus. Dimpled chads and all. Oliveu2cm VOTED TWICE in the final round, once on the first page and again at the end to break the tie. No one else got to do that, isn't that cheating? Bad call! :down: I dispute the results and demand a recount.

Sure, sure, it's only a game. But why have it end like this?

GhostranchHills said:
BULLSHIT!

Results are bogus. Dimpled chads and all. Oliveu2cm VOTED TWICE in the final round, once on the first page and again at the end to break the tie. No one else got to do that, isn't that cheating? Bad call! :down: I dispute the results and demand a recount.

are you serious? You have 14 posts! There's no way you've voted more than a few times so why do you care?

I just read both of the other Survivor threads, the results thread and the final vote. Khanada already said why the vote counts. If you have been around playing the game long enough you'd know that Dave always had a tie breaker. Just because he didn't start a new thread for it doesn't mean Olive's vote doesn't count. It wouldn't make sense to start a new thread for one vote. I recall a few other times where Dave ended a round the same way and no one questioned it.

ive never realized a person could vote a second time to break a tie, thats pretty silly if you ask me. the same number of people still like the song, but 1 person got to vote twice.

for me it will forever be a tie in my heart, as 25 people liked one better, and 25 people liked streets better.

but even deeper in my heart i know streets will always be number 1.

but even deeper than that in my heart i know its just a stupid game so who really cares.

This should be redone as a poll. The confusion over how you were counting the votes (DaveC voted for Streets as his favorite song, but according to his rules, he was voting Streets off and wanted One as the best song).

Again, do this as a poll.

Wow, such a close final round. :applaud:

Thanks for doing such a superb job maintaining the game for as long as you did, DaveC. :wink:

Someone did suggest doing a video version of Survivor if I'm not mistaken. That could be fun. :up:

:applaud:

Good job, Dave! I loved voting in these threads :yes: They will be greatly missed, BUT....

WaHAY for "ONE!" :D Best.U2.Song.Evar!

^^ It's true! 5 stars!!

And with that, I bid you farewell...

:wave:

good work daveC, would you wanna give my idea a go about trying to find out the worst u2 song, by having a round with all the tracks voted out first?

I still reckon Gloria should have won the whole thing

nbcrusader said:
(DaveC voted for Streets as his favorite song, but according to his rules, he was voting Streets off and wanted One as the best song).

I never voted for Streets to win. I voted for Streets to lose. It was you that got confused and voted the worng way. I don't see how that's my fault.

And to all you people that are all pissy about the results: chill out. I notice that the majority of the people whining are those that voted against One. I used a similar tiebreaker on many threads since Achtung Baby and nobody, not ONCE, complained about it.

Piss off and don't yell at me, people. I did this game for YOU folks and I get yelled at for it. :madspit:

This round was all fucked up, and as much as I do want to do it, I REFUSE to do it over again to please people who are screaming at me. So fuck off! :mad:

GhostranchHills said:
BULLSHIT!

PS: GhostranchHills, you have 15 posts. You voted in 1 round. You have no idea how the game is run, so you clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Don't bitch and moan cause your favorite song lost. And stop talking about "dimpled chads". You look like an idiot.

DaveC said:

PS: GhostranchHills, you have 15 posts. You voted in 1 round. You have no idea how the game is run, so you clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Don't bitch and moan cause your favorite song lost. And stop talking about "dimpled chads". You look like an idiot.

But I was lurking all along. I'm not an idiot. You wanted One to win. No matter what it's not fair to have the thing decided on one person's vote. This game was cool and it's a damn shame it had to end this way. :(

But I guess the one person who got to vote for the tie breaker gives the whole One thing a new meaning.

I understood the rules. I also know for a fact that if everyone on this forum had to choose between "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "One", they'd pick "One". Let's be honest; "One" is a better song, and anyone who claims that just because "...Streets..." has a more uplifting introduction it's a better song, is kidding themselves.

For everyone that wants a re-do, I say bring it on.

oh geez i didn't mean to cause such a ruckus :eek: ..we've allowed one person to break the tie before and no one questioned it... :scratch:

oh well I dont know what else to say. Revote, don't vote, whatever. I'll still vote for One to win :sexywink: and I still think DaveC did a great job running this whole thing.

Now if One had been up against RTSS, or Stay, it might have been a different story.... :shrug:

GUYS!!!! Relax! Say a thank you to Dave for all this work he put in, or don't say anything if you are just going to shit stir. Any problems anyone has can be posted in a reasonable and mature manner. No need for the abuse and swearing.

Dave seriously, thanks so much for all the hard work you put in this. It's been a lot of fun for so many people, I remember the hints of negativity at the start that it would take too long and folks would lose interest, but it didn't happen. And I don't think anyone is suprised that the 2 clear all time favourites are Streets and One. U2's hallmarks. One vote out of 51 cannot declare one better than the other. They're both obviously considered the best.

Angela Harlem said:
GUYS!!!! Relax! Say a thank you to Dave for all this work he put in, or don't say anything if you are just going to shit stir. Any problems anyone has can be posted in a reasonable and mature manner. No need for the abuse and swearing.

Dave seriously, thanks so much for all the hard work you put in this. It's been a lot of fun for so many people, I remember the hints of negativity at the start that it would take too long and folks would lose interest, but it didn't happen. And I don't think anyone is suprised that the 2 clear all time favourites are Streets and One. U2's hallmarks. One vote out of 51 cannot declare one better than the other. They're both obviously considered the best.

My thoughts exactly. Dave, you've done a great job running this and it's been so much fun. I too remember some of the negative comments, but if anything, the game's just got more and more popular and I don't want it to end. Personally, I like the idea of voting for the worst U2 song - indeed, I was going to suggest it myself - and there's enough Miami likers here to make that result not clear-cut. I'm prepared to run that myself if there's enough interest.

DaveC said:
I never voted for Streets to win. I voted for Streets to lose. It was you that got confused and voted the worng way. I don't see how that's my fault.

And to all you people that are all pissy about the results: chill out. I notice that the majority of the people whining are those that voted against One. I used a similar tiebreaker on many threads since Achtung Baby and nobody, not ONCE, complained about it.

Piss off and don't yell at me, people. I did this game for YOU folks and I get yelled at for it. :madspit:

This round was all fucked up, and as much as I do want to do it, I REFUSE to do it over again to please people who are screaming at me. So fuck off! :mad:

It was clear that there was confussion on how to cast votes. Thee were votes that aked you to pick a winner - they were not all "vote off the loser" rounds. Instead of getting pissy, why not redo the vote in a way that makes it clear who wins.

You created a great game. Let's finish it on a positive note.

It would be nice if the creator of the game and the person that happened to cast the final vote would not be harassed for it.
(no need for a second thread too, just because some people think Streets should have won, especially if the rules in a tie were that the "next vote decides" all along)

It's clear both Streets and One are their defining songs, and it looks like that round could go on and on anyway, I don't see what the problem is with how it ended - it has to be settled someway, OR it can be said both are equal.

Anyone else notice that the 2nd last round was decided in the EXACT same way, and nobody complained whatsoever?

I'm not redoing it to please people that are yelling and bitching at me.

DaveC, you did an awesome job, period.

I believe you started this back in September???

Six month of keeping this up is a very noteworthy achievement.

You kept a lot of us coming back time and time again; you did an excellent job, especially with all the criticism a game like this is bound to receive.

Again, great work. I'm all for another survivor game with worst song, videos, or whatever. Maybe you take a month or so off though; give everyone a chance to miss the game, and give yourself a breather.

You deserve it.

Alright. Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm not redoing the round, however, to make everyone happy....

I'll nullify oliveu2cm's tiebreak vote and declare the game an official tie between Streets and One.

Last edited:
Dave, how about starting a video survivor? Or albums or something? I miss the game!

Yes, I miss the game too! What should we vote on now? I'm all for worst song ... it'd be cool if we could actually use polls. Any premium members perhaps want to run it?

Back
Top Bottom