***Survivor: Firm Footsteps, Shaky Single (Eighties Singles Rd 3)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the single you like the LEAST

• Out Of Control (single version)/Stories For Boys (single version)/Boy-Girl

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Another Day/Twilight (single version)

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • 11 O’clock Tick Tock/Touch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Day Without Me/Things To Make And Do

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I Will Follow/Boy-Girl (live)/Out Of Control (live)

• Fire/J. Swallow/11 O’clock Tick Tock (live)/The Ocean (live)/The Cry --> The Electric Co. (live)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Gloria/I Will Follow (live)

• A Celebration/Trash, Trampoline, And The Party Girl

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • New Year’s Day/Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)/I Threw A Brick (live)/A Day Without M

• Two Hearts Beat As One/Endless Deep/New Year’s Day (US Remix)/THBAO mixes

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday/Endless Deep/New Year’s Day (US Remix)/THBAO 7” Edit/THBAO (US remix)

• Pride/Boomerang I/Boomerang II/4th Of July (long)/11 O’clock Tick Tock (long)/Touch

• The Unforgettable Fire/The Three Sunrises/Love Comes Tumbling/Bass Trap/Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Com

• With Or Without You/Luminous Times/Walk To The Water

• I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For/Spanish Eyes/Deep In The Heart

• Where The Streets Have No Name/Silver And Gold/The Sweetest Thing (original version)/Race Against Ti

• In God’s Country/Bullet The Blue Sky/Running To Stand Still

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • One Tree Hill/Bullet The Blue Sky/Running To Stand Still

• Desire/Hallelujah (Here She Comes)/Desire (Hollywood Remix)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Angel Of Harlem/A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel/Love Rescue Me (live)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • All I Want Is You (single edit and album version)/Unchained Melody/Everlasting Love

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
In a landslide, the loser in the second round of Heat #1: Eighties Singles of Singles Survivor was ...

Non-Winners List
2. 40
1. When Love Comes To Town

Full results for the previous round
40 - 28 votes
Another Day - 12
A Day Without Me - 9
A Celebration - 5
Fire - 5
The Unforgettable Fire - 5
Angel Of Harlem - 4
Two Hearts Beat As One - 4
Desire - 2
All I Want Is You - 1
In God's Country - 1
One Tree Hill - 1
With Or Without You - 1
The remainder received zero votes.

Total = 78 votes

Heat #1: Eighties Singles - Round Three

is now open. Please vote by clicking in the circle next to the single you like the LEAST on the electronic poll above. Thank you.

Please be aware that you are voting on the WHOLE single release, not the individual a-side. In the same way that album survivor involved whole albums with their full complement of tracks competing against each other, singles survivor will involve whole singles with their full complement of tracks competing against each other.

This is a ONE day timed electronic poll.

Instructions:

Voting

Each round please vote off the single you like the least. The single with the most amount of votes is the the least popular for this round. Voting is anonymous. It's not compulsory to state your preference in the thread.

Next round all the singles are listed again, minus the single that receives the most amount of votes this round. And again please vote for your least favourite single from the selection.

And on we go for many rounds until there's only two singles left. In the last round you vote for your favourite out of the two. The last single standing is the most popular (or the least unpopular depending on how you look at it).

Tie Breaker

In the event of a tie, both or all tied singles will be instantly eliminated from the competition.

Have fun!

Got to be In God's Country. Useless single. Three tracks, all found on The Joshua Tree.

miss becky said:
Agreed. In God's Country. Love the song, but as a single it's useless.

The same applies to One Tree Hill, which will be my next target once In God's Country goes. The only reason I'm voting for In God's Country is because I think it's an inferior song ... and the centrepiece of my U2 collection is my One Tree Hill 7" single. :wink:

Hey, beli, you mentioned that the polls don't work in Firefox, but I accidentally made the first two in Firefox without even thinking about it, and it worked fine again for this one. :hmm:

And I forgot to put a time limit on the last round. :reject:

I wish that we were just voting for or against the A-side. The addition of B-sides complicates things, since it could mean voting off a better song before a lesser one, just because the 'b-sides are cool.' I see b-sides as kind of inconsequential. I'm more interested in which is the best, actual, single. But that's just me. :)

beli said:
Cool! They must have fixed the poll making thingie. Good to know.

I forgot to put a time on one of mine once too. PM Sicy, shes usually around.

Or maybe my Firefox is just better than yours. :wink:

To be honest, in the event that I don't care about the b-sides - don't love them or hate them, I just vote based on the a-side. And even in the event that I prefer one song's b-sides slightly, I'll vote for the a-side first.

Er, folks ...

Axver said:
Please be aware that you are voting on the WHOLE single release, not the individual a-side. In the same way that album survivor involved whole albums with their full complement of tracks competing against each other, singles survivor will involve whole singles with their full complement of tracks competing against each other.

But Axver, it's possible to vote on the ENTIRE single released and still feel that the a-side is the greater determinant of value.

For example, in the album poll, many people voted based on the strengths of certain songs rather than the album as a whole, and there's nothing wrong with that.

dobro815 said:
How can you not like the song In God's Country. Single or not, it is one of my favorites. Love the song.

Great song. Crap single. They could have at least used a JT leftover as a b-side; we know they had plenty.

dobro815 said:
How can you not like the song In God's Country. Single or not, it is one of my favorites. Love the song.

I love the song. But of all the singles listed, this one is rather useless. Why offer three album tracks? I could just as easily listen to Joshua Tree.

anitram said:
But Axver, it's possible to vote on the ENTIRE single released and still feel that the a-side is the greater determinant of value.

For example, in the album poll, many people voted based on the strengths of certain songs rather than the album as a whole, and there's nothing wrong with that.

True. I'm just saying b-sides should at least be considered. For example, I'll be voting against One Tree Hill soon - that's my fourth-favourite U2 song, but the single release is simply crap.

i voted for in god's country. it's a rather weak song to use as a single, and everything can be found on the joshua tree. what a waste!

oh, and i just wanted to say (again) that the single version of twilight is total crap.

Have to vote for In God's Country as it's a weaker song than "One Tree Hill"......

and this thread's title is ridiculously funny. :wink:

After "OTH", we really need to see the "I Will Follow" and "Gloria" singles get the boot as the b-sides are just live tracks....

Angel Of Harlem/A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel/Love Rescue Me (live)

again...

goat

Agree with Axver's original post. In God's Country is a great song, but to let it go out with two songs that appear on the accompanying album - what was the point?!

Wow, this is hard! lol Ok, my vote goes to Angel of harlem, cos... I don't like A room at the heartbreak hotel and Love rescue me... well, I really like that one. I don't know. :lol: I suppose I just don't wanna vote for the other singles, so... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom