***Survivor: Don't You Worry About Your Mind (Albums Rd 12)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote FOR the album you LOVE the MOST

• I :heart: The Joshua Tree

Votes: 49 31.6%
  • I :heart: Achtung Baby

Votes: 106 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think there's been a misunderstanding...what I meant by "there were younger fans in the 90's and U2 appealed to them" was that with U2 trying a new sound, they got inspired by the new popular sound or whatever they were listening to. (the European music, not grunge) It wasn't calculated, of course not - I was just saying U2 picks up influences from the music that's around them, that they like.

That inevitably meant losing some of the 80's fans, as shown by lesser sales, especially with Zoroopa and Pop and less so with AB.

Yesssssssssssssssssss!!! Achtung Baby wins in the end. My favorite.

Most bands, upon uncovering that magic "Achtung Baby" sound, would have spent their entire careers operating within those sound/song structures. U2 nailed it on one take, and then had the audacity to go wandering off in search of new musical terrain. Imagine if they went back to the heavily distorted vocals, sexy/religious/triple meaning lyrics, the sludgy guitars, and Bono's alter egos. Maaaaaan how I wish...

U2girl said:
I think there's been a misunderstanding...what I meant by "there were younger fans in the 90's and U2 appealed to them" was that with U2 trying a new sound, they got inspired by the new popular sound or whatever they were listening to. (the European music, not grunge) It wasn't calculated, of course not - I was just saying U2 picks up influences from the music that's around them, that they like.

That inevitably meant losing some of the 80's fans, as shown by lesser sales, especially with Zoroopa and Pop and less so with AB.

Okay, fair enough. But your next point isn't gonna hold up. "Lesser sales" compared to what? Yeah, AB sold less than JT. So did most of the albums ever recorded in history. A band's peak in popularity does is not synonym with their peak in creaitivty. There are so many tools and casual fans who bought that album, nothing could ever come close. People in their 40's bought it. That is NOT a badge of musical greatness. Look at ATYLCB, which, even though it was about as mainstream as you could get, didn't even come CLOSE to AB, let alone JT. Explain that.

AB sold EXTREMELY well considering how dark and dense the material is. And it eclipsed the sales of Rattle & Hum and UF, so I don't think your sales drop off analogy makes a lot of sense.

laz

About the "sales"...
It's realy simple, JT and R&H sold so much because they were easily accepted by huge number of country music fans in U.S.
With Achtung, after "dreaming it all up again" they lost those people, Bono once again had irish accent while singing etc... that's all!
They did not left the 80's sound behind, they left their country music episode behind wich got them very near the end (they did want to split at one point).

Last edited:
bathiu said:
About the "sales"...
It's realy simple, JT and R&H sold so much because they were easily accepted by huge number of country music fans in U.S.
With Achtung, after "dreaming it all up again" they lost those people, Bono once again had irish accent while singing etc... that's all!
They did not left the 80's sound behind, they left their country music episode behind wich got them very near the end (they did want to split at one point).

Simple yet fascinating...

To back up your claims, I guess you have (at your finger tips) the actual sale figures in America for both JT & R&H, compared to the rest of the world...

Anyone who is comparing track-by-track listing is ridiculous. That doesn't make an album.

Consider the work as a whole.

roy said:

Simple yet fascinating...

To back up your claims, I guess you have (at your finger tips) the actual sale figures in America for both JT & R&H, compared to the rest of the world...

JT in U.S. sold 10mln copies (2004), in 1997 (the last time I checked and copied the worldwide album sales) JT's worldwide numbers were at 17mlns copies, but after another 7 years lets say it's 20mlns worldwide... it's 50% of album sales in america (if it's not 20mlns than it's even more than 50%!).
With AB it dropped to 40%, to finaly drop to (~)15% with Pop...
Than 30(and something)% with ATYCLB...
...and finaly - so far - (~)20% of HTDAAB's worldwide numbers of sold albums are from U.S.

I have no idea how were the albums before JT, but since up to UF, U2 were only a "touring band" in U.S. I would guess it was around 20 to 35%

lazarus said:

Okay, fair enough. But your next point isn't gonna hold up. "Lesser sales" compared to what? Yeah, AB sold less than JT. So did most of the albums ever recorded in history. A band's peak in popularity does is not synonym with their peak in creaitivty. There are so many tools and casual fans who bought that album, nothing could ever come close. People in their 40's bought it. That is NOT a badge of musical greatness. Look at ATYLCB, which, even though it was about as mainstream as you could get, didn't even come CLOSE to AB, let alone JT. Explain that.

AB sold EXTREMELY well considering how dark and dense the material is. And it eclipsed the sales of Rattle & Hum and UF, so I don't think your sales drop off analogy makes a lot of sense.

laz

Lesser sales of Zooropa and POP compared to sales of JT, RaH and AB. If you recall, there's been a request for proof that 80's fans don't like the 90's U2 material. That is the most vocal proof you could ever get.

ATYCLB passed by Pop and Zooropa, it didn't get past JT or AB (it's not that far behind AB) or close because U2 isn't as popular as they were then and because the music industry changed.

bathiu said:

JT in U.S. sold 10mln copies (2004)

Actually, I believe that figure is for 1987 only and it was last certified at 14 million in the US. The guys from Peeling Off The Dollar Bills could answer this better than me, though. And very thorough album data is available in various threads there.

Axver said:

Actually, I believe that figure is for 1987 only and it was last certified at 14 million in the US. The guys from Peeling Off The Dollar Bills could answer this better than me, though. And very thorough album data is available in various threads there.

no, it's actual figures as of march 2004... and IT IS from Peeling Off The Dollar Bills and riia site...

bathiu said:

no, it's actual figures as of march 2004... and IT IS from Peeling Off The Dollar Bills and riia site...

Really? Hmm. Wonder what I was reading then.

Though JT hasn't been recertified in ages. The 2004 figure is just what it was at last recertification. U2 need to get around to doing a full recertification of their catalogue. It IS the 25th anniversary year, after all. One can only hope Pop's gone double platinum in the States by now ...

an album doesnt get certified by the RIAA again until it reaches 20 million which is the stupid thing about it.

Back
Top Bottom