***Survivor: Beaten And Blown From The Competition (GRAND FINAL)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the single you LIKE the MOST

• I LOVE With Or Without You/Luminous Times/Walk To The Water

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • I LOVE One/Lady With The Spinning Head/Satellite Of Love/Night And Day (Steel String Remix)

Votes: 44 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have just over two hours left until the winner of the competition is crowned, and WOWY holds a lead by the slimest of margins, one vote. I predict there will be a surge of voting in the final hours of this poll, that it will be VERY close, and that One will win.

One as a song should win over With or Without You...BUT...this is a vote for the b-sides as well so my vote has to go to the single With Or Without You - mainly beacuse it contains one of my favorite U2 songs "Walk To The Water".

Wow, this is so close!

Come on, WOWY, win this thing! Give the competition at least some dignity.

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah sure, unless you want to run it. like i said, i already made up a list of songs i think qualify to be included so then it'll just be time consuming to make a thread every day, or every other day. but hey, i have no life! :happy:

How do you plan on doing the worst song survivor? I was thinking we could go through each album and then match them up in the finals like the best song survivor did.

We could perhaps alternate who does the rounds, or perhaps alternate eras or something. I obviously won't be able to do much, if any, for all of June.

yeah, franklin's a suburb of nashville, about three hours away from here. that's too far away. :mad:

although there is white castle in nashville :drool: white castle :drool:

EDIT: i have even picked out the venue for them. they should play the orpheum. they could sell out the fedexforum (yes that is all one word) but i fucking hate that place and everything it stands for. the orpheum is pretty and i would make the guest list. :drool:

Well, I guess you could be a special guest to the Franklin shows!

And alright, once the band return to North America (after their gigantic tour through Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, and South America), they can do a week or two at the Orpheum!

Axver said:
How do you plan on doing the worst song survivor? I was thinking we could go through each album and then match them up in the finals like the best song survivor did.

We could perhaps alternate who does the rounds, or perhaps alternate eras or something. I obviously won't be able to do much, if any, for all of June.
yeah, i was going to do each album at a time, and also b-sides (no covers, remixes, or live tracks though). then the winner of each category would go head-to-head in a fierce battle for the ages! :lmao:

Axver said:
Well, I guess you could be a special guest to the Franklin shows!

And alright, once the band return to North America (after their gigantic tour through Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, and South America), they can do a week or two at the Orpheum!
ooh special guest! :hyper:

thank you thank you...a week or two huh? wow! good thing i've got over a year's notice because i'll need to put in for the vacation! :love:

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah, i was going to do each album at a time, and also b-sides (no covers, remixes, or live tracks though). then the winner of each category would go head-to-head in a fierce battle for the ages! :lmao:

That sounds good. :up: We've got to do that!

ooh special guest! :hyper:

thank you thank you...a week or two huh? wow! good thing i've got over a year's notice because i'll need to put in for the vacation! :love:

Hee! Maybe I'll have to make it a month-long stand or something ridiculous then? It'll be the largest city U2 plays on that leg of the tour!

This thing is painfully close. 45-43, and I think we've only 10 minutes to go!

Come on WOWY!

YES!

WOWY WON!

*celebrates*

So, what are we going to do now? Khanada, do we want to have a results thread or just go straight into the next competition?

I still, and always will, hold my position that One is the better single.

I don't care if two of One's tracks are covers, think about what you're saying:

Luminous Times and Walk To The Water are good but not great b-sides.

Satellite Of Love is one of the biggest classics from one of the biggest bands ever, Velvet Underground.

Night And Day is one of the greatest pop songs ever penned, by Cole Porter, one of the greatest songwriters ever, no less.

Two all-time classics vs two good but not great b-sides. It doesn't matter that they're covers.

And One is One, a masterpiece.

As I said before:

Luminous Times > With Or Without You > Walk To The Water > Lady With The Spinning Head > One > uncreative :madspit: covers.

Axver said:
So, what are we going to do now? Khanada, do we want to have a results thread or just go straight into the next competition?
what would you like to do? i've got the crap ready so i can go into a new one.

or we could have both threads up simultaneously :hmm:

Axver said:
As I said before:

Luminous Times > With Or Without You > Walk To The Water > Lady With The Spinning Head > One > uncreative :madspit: covers.

Would your opinion be the same if we were talking about the originals of Satellite Of Love and Night And Day? If it would, you credibility where music is concerned has dropped. I'll wait for you to properly answer the question before making judgements, though.

namkcuR said:

Would your opinion be the same if we were talking about the originals of Satellite Of Love and Night And Day? If it would, you credibility where music is concerned has dropped. I'll wait for you to properly answer the question before making judgements, though.

It's got nothing to do with the originals, really. It's just that I don't consider a cover to be as creative as an original b-side. Plus, while I'm not sure I've heard the original Satellite Of Love, I find U2's version to be a bit boring.

KhanadaRhodes said:

what would you like to do? i've got the crap ready so i can go into a new one.

or we could have both threads up simultaneously :hmm:

Hmm. I'm thinking we could combine the two, just to make it easy, especially because a results thread isn't that pointful.

The only thing I was really going to do was swap the numbering so that WOWY was #1 and WLCTT last. I could write up my copy of the results and give it to you, or post it as a separate thread.

Axver said:

It's got nothing to do with the originals, really. It's just that I don't consider a cover to be as creative as an original b-side. Plus, while I'm not sure I've heard the original Satellite Of Love, I find U2's version to be a bit boring.

But it depends on how wide your definiiton of 'creative' is. The original 'Night And Day' was a slow song, and U2 made it into an industrial, techno song, while still maintaining the song's greatness. That takes a tremendous amount of creativity. What would have been uncreative is if they had made a straight carbon copy cover of the song.

Axver said:
Hmm. I'm thinking we could combine the two, just to make it easy, especially because a results thread isn't that pointful.

The only thing I was really going to do was swap the numbering so that WOWY was #1 and WLCTT last. I could write up my copy of the results and give it to you, or post it as a separate thread.
it's up to you. you can post your own if you'd like. i'll sticky yours but not mine.

you can post your opinions in the thread i did or you can e-mail/pm me, whatever works best for you. :D

namkcuR said:

But it depends on how wide your definiiton of 'creative' is. The original 'Night And Day' was a slow song, and U2 made it into an industrial, techno song, while still maintaining the song's greatness. That takes a tremendous amount of creativity. What would have been uncreative is if they had made a straight carbon copy cover of the song.

Or, you know, they could've just come up with their own song. As a rule, I prefer that (the exceptions being Dancing Barefoot and All Along The Watchtower live).

Axver said:

Or, you know, they could've just come up with their own song. As a rule, I prefer that (the exceptions being Dancing Barefoot and All Along The Watchtower live).

Which, no surprise, come from the 1984-1990 era, for which you have one of the most intense and pathological musical biases I've ever seen in any person. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

We'll just agree to disagree.

namkcuR said:

Which, no surprise, come from the 1984-1990 era, for which you have one of the most intense and pathological musical biases I've ever seen in any person. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

We'll just agree to disagree.

You don't see me biased towards Everlasting Love or Unchained Melody, do you?

Dancing Barefoot, I just find to be so damn good. And All Along The Watchtower is like the second half of Desire, at least how it was played on Lovetown.

And yes, let's agree to disagree.

WOWY! Woohoo, it wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. Okay...here's some more setlists for a four night rotation set...

01-05-2006 Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville

U2 start a four night long stand in Townsville in the north of Australia delivering a treat to the fans there on the strength of their Treasure single, which skyrocketed to #1 all around the world. They have released a second single, Hawkmoon 269 (re-recorded) with the B-sides Stranger In A Strange Land --> A Day Without Me(studio), Heartland(live) and God Part II(Suicidal Mix), along with a third single Exit/The Magic Carpet (live)/Cartoon World (Hate Me Mix). All three occupy the top three positions of the charts around the world. However, Treasure keeps the #1 spot.

01. Hawkmoon 269
02. Things To Make And Do
03. I Threw A Brick Through A Window --> Stranger In A Strange Land --> A Day Without Me
04. God Part II
05. One Tree Hill
06. Exit
07. Sunday Bloody Sunday --> Get Up Stand Up
08. I Fall Down (guitar version, no piano)
09. I Will Follow
10. Cartoon World

11. The Dream Is Over
12. Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad --> Indian Summer Sky
13. All Because Of You
14. Womanfish
15. Another Day

16. Stories For Boys --> Vertigo
17. Wire
18. Boy-Girl --> I'm A Believer
19. Numb

20. Touch
21. A Celebration
22. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)

02-05-2006 Dairy Farmers Stadium

01. Gone --> Hawkmoon 269
03. I Threw A Brick Through A Window --> Stranger In A Strange Land --> A Day Without Me
04. Another Day
05. Another Time, Another Place
06. Desire (With solo)
07. Love And Peace Or Else
08. Beautiful Day
09. New Year's Day
10. Boy-Girl --> I'm A Believer
11. Eleven O Clock Tick Tock --> America --> Send In The Clowns --> Give Peace A Chance --> The Ocean

12. Discotheque
13. Zooropa
14. Love Is Blindness

15. Bad
16. Elvis Presley And America --> MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire
17. October --> Tomorrow

18. J Swallow
19. An Cat Dubh --> Into The Heart
20. Twilight

21. Touch
22. A Celebration
23. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)

03-05-2006 Dairy Farmer's Stadium

01. The Ocean --> Eleven O Clock Tick Tock --> Give Peace A Chance
02. Exit
03. One Tree Hill
04. Drowning Man
05. Scarlet
06. Bullet The Blue Sky --> Running To Stand Still
07. Where The Streets Have No Name
08. A Sort Of Homecoming
09. Wire
10. Heartland
11. The Electric Company --> America --> Send In The Clowns --> Amazing Grace

12. Hawkmoon 269
13. The Speed Of Life --> The Magic Carpet --> Cartoon World
14. Stories For Boys
15. Love Comes Tumbling
16. I Threw A Brick Through A Window --> Stranger In A Strange Land --> A Day Without Me
17. Another Time, Another Place
18. Boy-Girl --> Out Of Control
19. Vertigo
20. Red Hill Mining Town
21. Van Diemen's Land
22. Touch
23. A Celebration
24. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)

04-05-2006 Dairy Farmers Stadium

01. I Threw A Brick Through A Window --> Stranger In A Strange Land --> A Day Without Me
03. The Speed Of Life --> The Magic Carpet --> Cartoon World
04. Help! --> Ultraviolet
05. Acrobat
06. Where The Streets Have No Name
07. Hawkmoon 269 --> God Part II
08. All Along The Watchtower
09. Twilight --> Out Of Control
10. Another Day

11. Van Diemen's Land
12. Seconds
13. Corpse
14. Dirty Day

15. One Minute Warning
16. Be There
17. I Fall Down
18. MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire

19. City Of Blinding Lights
20. Vertigo
21. New York
22. J Swallow

23. Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad
24. The Refugee
25. Indian Summer Sky

26. Touch
27. A Celebration
28. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)

The Treasure Setlist Which Doesn't Flow!

1. Wire
2. Party Girl
3. The Fly
4. Bad
5. Discotheque
6. Treasure
7. Desire (Bono on kazoo as he lost his harmonica)
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. Miami
10. Love Is Blindness
11. The Refugee
12. Lemon
13. Beautiful Day
14. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
15. Mysterious Ways
16. One Tree Hill

17. Angel Of Harlem (acoustic)
18. Numb
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. Another Day
21. Mofo
22. 40

Heee, it seems I'm the only one big on setlist flow here at the moment!

Heh, it's all about playing wonderful old stuff, it seems!

My tour - which continues to grow - is all about U2 playing whatever the hell they want, whenever they want.

Here's another setlist to disect...

12-06-2006 ANZ Stadium

01. Hawkmoon 269
02. God Part II
03. Desire --> All Along The Watchtower
04. Surrender
05. Seconds (Edge Solo)
06. I Fall Down
07. October --> New Year’s Day
08. One Tree Hill
09. Van Diemen’s Land
10. People Get Ready
11. Like A Song...
12. Drowning Man
13. Vertigo --> Stories For Boys
14. Rejoice
15. I Threw A Brick Through A Window --> Stranger In A Strange Land --> A Day Without Me

16. Mothers Of The Disappeared
17. Love Is Blindness
18. Exit

19. Touch
20. A Celebration
21. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)

Back
Top Bottom