***Survivor: As an Angel Hits the Ground (Albums Rd 9)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the album you like the LEAST

• The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 59 35.8%
  • The Joshua Tree

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Achtung Baby

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Pop

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Votes: 27 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, bad wording. Yes, this is a secret ballot. What I meant to say was the results are available immediately and this may influence peoples voting. It would be better if people could vote and not know the results until the poll closed.

Sorry for the confusion. This is indeed a secret ballot. My brain isn't switched on today. lol.

Music often seems complex but in reality is not. Zooropa is a 'pigs ear' of an album because it contains the following average-crap songs:

Babyface
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Wanderer

That's half the album , confirming that U2 should've gone with their initial 'EP' instincts. As an EP Zooropa is great, as an album it's crap IMO.

Well said. I would include Numb and Dirty Day on that list but delete The First Time.

beli said:
Sorry, bad wording. Yes, this is a secret ballot. What I meant to say was the results are available immediately and this may influence peoples voting. It would be better if people could vote and not know the results until the poll closed.

Sorry for the confusion. This is indeed a secret ballot. My brain isn't switched on today. lol.

I see what you mean. Tactical voting does indeed skew the results but that's part of the fun. :wink:

bathiu said:
I will Follow, New Year's Day, SBS, 40,... all much better.

To offer a correction, I Will Follow is the only U2 song to have ever been played on every single tour, and Pride is the second-oldest song to have been played on every single tour since its debut. New Year's Day has featured in every tour since War [making it the most oldest, ahead of Pride], SBS missed Lovetown, and after Lovetown, 40 has only been played five times [four on Popmart, once before Elevation].

So in terms of concert longevity, Pride has the third-best longevity out of any U2 song. Though if Bono had had his way, it wouldn't have made it to Popmart.

namkcuR said:
I make a plea to all who read this:

Vote for ANYTHING but Pop, PLEASE!(no pun intended)

Pop and Zooropa are BRILLIANT. They are GENIUS. People don't stand up for them like they're a retarted kid(referring to the ridiculous comparison earlier in this thread). People stand up for them because they are BRILLIANT works of ART. How some of you can stand here and say with a straight face that HTDAAB is a better record than either Zooropa or Pop is just mindboggling to me.

Zooropa - Epic
Babyface - Gorgeous
Numb - Hypnotic
Lemon - Other-worldy
Stay - Gorgeous
First Time - Gorgeous
Dirty Day - Hard rocking, very catchy
Wanderer - VERY unique
Discotheque - Catchy vocal track, kickass guitar riff
Do You Feel Loved&Mofo - Indescribable
If God... - Gorgeous
Staring At The Sun - Brilliant
Last Night On Earth - Rocking, catchy
Gone - Brilliant
If You Wear... - Gorgeous, Subtle, Underrated
Playboy Mansion - Bittersweet, Great
Please - Brilliant, Epic
Wake Up Dead Man - Depressing, Brilliant

I know this post won't make a difference, but I'm rather annoyed by these people saying 'be realistic', as if there's no possible way someone who's being realistic could defend Zooropa and Pop and think they're brilliant.

I'm with you mate.

Axver said:

To offer a correction, I Will Follow is the only U2 song to have ever been played on every single tour, and Pride is the second-oldest song to have been played on every single tour since its debut. New Year's Day has featured in every tour since War [making it the most oldest, ahead of Pride], SBS missed Lovetown, and after Lovetown, 40 has only been played five times [four on Popmart, once before Elevation].

So in terms of concert longevity, Pride has the third-best longevity out of any U2 song. Though if Bono had had his way, it wouldn't have made it to Popmart.

I don't believe I Will Follow was played on Zoo TV.

bathiu said:

...interesting... outside of US Pop sold around 8mln copies... wich is as much as HTDAAB right now and only 1.5-2mln less than ATYCLB....

Here are the official stats from our expert Sting2:

Despite Band and managment claims, POP has not sold more than 6 million copies. The album POP is still only certified for 2 million in sales in Europe by the IFPI and Soundscan in the USA shows 1.5 million sales. Soundscan Canada has 380,000 in sales, and down under there are single platinum sales of 70,000 in Australia, and 15,000 in New Zealand. Add in another 196,560 from Japan.

Total Confirmed = 4,161,560

Now, in Europe, where the album is between passing the 2 million mark and hitting the 3 million mark is unknown, so that could obviously add 500,000 copies or more to the figure above.

South America would add 500,000 to 1 million.

All the above area's cover 90% of the global market. Obviously, when one does the math, one can see that at most, POP has sold 6 million copies. POP has been U2's worst catalog seller. Just check its rank on Amazon.com compared to other albums by U2.

Known Confirmed Exact sales for ATYCLB in the regions below are:

EUROPE (from IFPI) 4,000,000+
United States (from Soundscan) 4,200,000
Canada (from CRIA) 500,000+
Australia (from ARIA) 280,000+
New Zealand (Charts) 45,000+
Brazil (Charts) 400,000+
Japan 130,590

Total Confirmed = 9,555,590

As with POP, add around 1 to 2 million copies for the rest of the world, plus any more copies sold in Europe beyond the 4 million mark but below the 5 million mark and you get the total number of albums sold.

As one can see here, ATYCLB total album sales worldwide are more than double that of POP.

Last edited:
roy said:

Music often seems complex but in reality is not. Zooropa is a 'pigs ear' of an album because it contains the following average-crap songs:

Babyface
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Wanderer

That's half the album :ohmy:, confirming that U2 should've gone with their initial 'EP' instincts. As an EP Zooropa is great, as an album it's crap IMO.

They are not crap. They are all unique and I personally think they are all very very good. Babyface is gorgeous.

I am pretty happy at this point. The only difference being that Zooropa is on my list of 5 before Pop is. But this is still good. The UF has some huge fans here. Proud to say I am one of them.

miss becky said:

I don't believe I Will Follow was played on Zoo TV.

Yes it was. I even have a bootleg of one of the performances. It only appeared a few times, but it was played.

I say Pop, imo, it's weaker than the other albums up there

has one of the worst flows of ne of their albums, but then again, so duz HTDAAB, my opinion of course

namkcuR said:
I make a plea to all who read this:

Vote for ANYTHING but Pop, PLEASE!(no pun intended)

Pop and Zooropa are BRILLIANT. They are GENIUS. People don't stand up for them like they're a retarted kid(referring to the ridiculous comparison earlier in this thread). People stand up for them because they are BRILLIANT works of ART. How some of you can stand here and say with a straight face that HTDAAB is a better record than either Zooropa or Pop is just mindboggling to me.

Zooropa - Epic
Babyface - Gorgeous
Numb - Hypnotic
Lemon - Other-worldy
Stay - Gorgeous
First Time - Gorgeous
Dirty Day - Hard rocking, very catchy
Wanderer - VERY unique
Discotheque - Catchy vocal track, kickass guitar riff
Do You Feel Loved&Mofo - Indescribable
If God... - Gorgeous
Staring At The Sun - Brilliant
Last Night On Earth - Rocking, catchy
Gone - Brilliant
If You Wear... - Gorgeous, Subtle, Underrated
Playboy Mansion - Bittersweet, Great
Please - Brilliant, Epic
Wake Up Dead Man - Depressing, Brilliant

I know this post won't make a difference, but I'm rather annoyed by these people saying 'be realistic', as if there's no possible way someone who's being realistic could defend Zooropa and Pop and think they're brilliant.

You people are going to put HTDAAB and TUF in the top 4, and neither should be in the Top 5.

Top 5:

1)AB
2)Pop
3)JT
4)Zooropa
5)Boy

I agree POP and Zooropa are excellent albums, but you, like a few others need to stop whinging about what is essentially a fun poll.

Although UF has some great tracks, I listen to the other survivors far more... it's outta here....

5 of the 6 best albums remain and this is extremely hard to do.

My vote has to go to PoP.

Look out Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire next round though.

This thread is fascinating. I can't believe all the UF voters! It's about U2's only masterpiece. Brilliant album, lyrically and musically. That said though, I love Pop more. Not because of some hippy reason like a deeply profound message or that it requires repeated listens to 'get it'. It doesn't. It's actually a shit album. There is no deep meaning or hidden message or yet unseen quality. Lets be honest lol. But it's because of it's cheapness and 'Made in Taiwan' quality that I adore it. Such a hopeless album, never destined to sell, cos fans are too discerning. It's like a really funky yet poorly made cheap car which only benefit is to look good. Or in this case just sound um...fun. It's the equivilent of an operatic Soprano doing an album of Britney covers. It's beauty is only skin deep, and so trashily obviously so, it can't be disliked by me. Pity it was mostly a comedy of errors by the band - but some of us it seems do like it for exactly what it is. Cheap thrills.

I'll do the bandwagon jump and hold off my vote. Bomb deserves to be buried in the compost heap out the back, but like any good election, this voting ain't for the BEST, it's dog eat dog :D

beli said:
Gee, I wonder which album will "win" this round? :|

Achtung Baby will see a dramatic surge in votes!

You heard it here first.

Angela Harlem said:
This thread is fascinating. I can't believe all the UF voters! It's about U2's only masterpiece. Brilliant album, lyrically and musically. That said though, I love Pop more. Not because of some hippy reason like a deeply profound message or that it requires repeated listens to 'get it'. It doesn't. It's actually a shit album. There is no deep meaning or hidden message or yet unseen quality. Lets be honest lol. But it's because of it's cheapness and 'Made in Taiwan' quality that I adore it. Such a hopeless album, never destined to sell, cos fans are too discerning. It's like a really funky yet poorly made cheap car which only benefit is to look good. Or in this case just sound um...fun. It's the equivilent of an operatic Soprano doing an album of Britney covers. It's beauty is only skin deep, and so trashily obviously so, it can't be disliked by me. Pity it was mostly a comedy of errors by the band - but some of us it seems do like it for exactly what it is. Cheap thrills.

I'll do the bandwagon jump and hold off my vote. Bomb deserves to be buried in the compost heap out the back, but like any good election, this voting ain't for the BEST, it's dog eat dog :D

Oh my. You are SO far away from the truth about Pop. It is not a shit album and it is not cheap. It is among U2's best work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom