***Survivor: As an Angel Hits the Ground (Albums Rd 9)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the album you like the LEAST

• The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 59 35.8%
  • The Joshua Tree

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Achtung Baby

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Pop

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Votes: 27 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D'oh! said:

if Pop was better than Zooropa or Atyclb or even Boy for that matter the sales would have spoken for themselves.... but............

...interesting... outside of US Pop sold around 8mln copies... wich is as much as HTDAAB right now and only 1.5-2mln less than ATYCLB....
...so it wasn't well recieved in US and it wasn't bought by accidental people that have nothing to do with words "U2 fans" (like the many that bought ATYCLB)...
hmm...
I can live with that!:wink:

-------
This is my personal list:
1. Achtung Baby
2. Boy
3. HTDAAB
4. War
5. Pop
6. The Joshua Tree
7. Zooropa
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. October
10. R&H
11. ATYCLB

I can't understand why people voted the first trylogy so fast in this poll...
And I still don't see anything special in highly overrated "american" trylogy...

UF must go...

Screw you HTDAAB.

PS: Zooropa and Pop are both in the same level (both brilliant), but the best songs on Zooropa are better than the best songs on Pop.

it seems fairly obvious that the final round is going to be between achtung and joshua tree...

it seems the end is near for my favourite, the unforgettable fire... :sad:

gotta go with the bomb, yet once again.

POP is headed home....

Heh, I think it's kind of funny that people think AB vs. JT is going to be exciting.......we already know the outcome as every best album poll we've ever done here has resulted in AB getting over 50% of the vote......

Axver said:
This is a slightly edited version of a post I made late in the last round. I feel it deserves to be said here too.

UF SHOULD make it to the final four. Objectively speaking, Pop should go now. UF was the start of an era of sonic landscapes and musical explorations, launching U2 into the masterpiece country of The Joshua Tree, while Pop is the end of the road of experimental albums. Pop ended an era and U2 left it behind; UF was the start of a legend and a crucial factor in the making of U2 as icons of music.

I'd then favour eliminating HTDAAB, though it hasn't had time to prove itself, and leaving the final three as UF (pivotal album), and JT and AB (widely recognised as masterpieces and classics). Boy should be in the final four with those three.

Then it's every album for itself.

Objectively speaking? lol.

This really is a bad way to determine the ranking of the albums. Too many people vote to protect a beloved album instead of voting on principle. A poll where people could rank all the albums and then the albums receive points for so many first place votes, second place votes, etc. would be better, then you wouldn't have people voting out albums they normally would rank higher. But this is fun. Down with UF.

Hut Dab has no business being on this top 5 list. Outrageous. It should have gone right after ATYCLB. The fact it will end up #3 is nuts.

Can't belive you bastards voted Zooropa off. Anyway, it is time to give Pop its just desserts.

Miggy D said:

No, just more diehard fanatics. No one stands up for Zooropa, and I think people forget how brilliant it was, at its time. U2 lost fans with Achtung Baby, to be sure, but they took all that new collateral they got with AB, and spent most of it on Zooropa. They were the biggest band in the world at the time, and they came out with a weird, experimental album. How amazing is that? Pretty amazing. Pop, in comparison, is rather mainstream, with a more guitar-driven sound that is accessible to a larger audience. Yes, there are 'experimental tracks' on Pop as well (I am defending myself against perceived attacks), but when you compare the two, Zooropa is less mainstream than Pop is, by far. The Wanderer? Zooropa? DGPFYCC? Lemon? These are weird, odd, exotic gems, completely unique to the U2 canon, and blessings we will never see anything quite like again.

But you guys voted her off. Bravo.

*sighs*

-Miggy D

Music often seems complex but in reality is not. Zooropa is a 'pigs ear' of an album because it contains the following average-crap songs:

Babyface
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Wanderer

That's half the album :ohmy:, confirming that U2 should've gone with their initial 'EP' instincts. As an EP Zooropa is great, as an album it's crap IMO.

U2Kitten said:

I'm not surprised though, a lot of people here are so hung up on it. It would get its ass kicked anywhere else. It's like some people have to take up for it like a poor retarded child everyone picks on but they love. But honestly, this is not one of the top 3 U2 albums, be realistic.

I like how you assume how the only reason people like Pop is because they "feel sorry" for it. Nevermind the fact that some people might actually, y'know, LIKE THE SONGS. Nevermind that perhaps some people love the dark techno-rock atmosphere and like U2 doing something different. Nope, we all just like Pop just because no one else does, we're just pretending really. :rolleyes:

The Unforgettable Fire. The only truly essential song for me on that album is Bad...Pride is kinda overrated, though still good. A Sort of Homecoming, Wire, and Indian Summer Sky are good, but I wouldn't trade any of the tracks from Pop for them except The Playboy Mansion. UF is a great album, but it just doesn't do it for me...

AtomicBono said:

Pride is kinda overrated, though still good.

That's very interesting to me. Many months ago someone made the exact same comment regarding Pride. I asked the poster why they felt it was 'overrated', but alas no reply, not a sausage.

Perhaps you could explain what aspects of Pride are overrated?

roy said:

That's very interesting to me. Many months ago someone made the exact same comment regarding Pride. I asked the poster why they felt it was 'overrated', but alas no reply, not a sausage.

Perhaps you could explain what aspects of Pride are overrated?

Asking for impossible, just to defend something YOU like isn't a good idea you know... someone can backfire it at you: "why do you think Pride is not overrated"?

Personaly I agree with AtomicBono... Pride is overrated for me... it's a succesfull single, nothing more... I think Wire and UF are far more interesting songs and IMO underrated.
It's the way people behave, jumping so easyly on a bandwagon.
The most comercialy succsesful albums are like that, I don't find anything special on UF (except for Wire and UF), JT (except for BTBS, Exit, MOTD, WOWY, the rest is weak IMO) and especialy on R&H (collection of live songs and a few average new studio songs).

bathiu said:

Asking for impossible, just to defend something YOU like isn't a good idea you know... someone can backfire it at you: "why do you think Pride is not overrated"?

Personaly I agree with AtomicBono... Pride is overrated for me... it's a succesfull single, nothing more... I think Wire and UF are far more interesting songs and IMO underrated.
It's the way people behave, jumping so easyly on a bandwagon.
The most comercialy succsesful albums are like that, I don't find anything special on UF (except for Wire and UF), JT (except for BTBS, Exit, MOTD, WOWY, the rest is weak IMO) and especialy on R&H (collection of live songs and a few average new studio songs).

Pride is an all time great IMO. Such strength, such power, Bono's voice at it's impassioned best. It's been played live for almost 20 years, how many other U2 songs have lasted that long, apart from Wire..

Alas, it was not a hugely successful single, i.e. can you tell me where it got to in the US chart? Did it actullay make No 1 anywhere apart from Ireland?

Pride is an all time great IMO. Such strength, such power, Bono's voice at it's impassioned best.
...yet I don't feel anything special for it...

It's been played live for almost 20 years, how many other U2 songs have lasted that long
I will Follow, New Year's Day, SBS, 40,... all much better

Alas, it was not a hugely successful single, i.e. can you tell me where it got to in the US chart?

No, they didn't matter, U2 was a touring-band in US at the time... but I think it's their first "MTV hit" video...

This time you're going down Pop, even if I have to come up there and remove you myself :madspit: A couple of you are alright and you sound good live but don't ever try overproducing like this again, got that?

I make a plea to all who read this:

Vote for ANYTHING but Pop, PLEASE!(no pun intended)

Pop and Zooropa are BRILLIANT. They are GENIUS. People don't stand up for them like they're a retarted kid(referring to the ridiculous comparison earlier in this thread). People stand up for them because they are BRILLIANT works of ART. How some of you can stand here and say with a straight face that HTDAAB is a better record than either Zooropa or Pop is just mindboggling to me.

Zooropa - Epic
Babyface - Gorgeous
Numb - Hypnotic
Lemon - Other-worldy
Stay - Gorgeous
First Time - Gorgeous
Dirty Day - Hard rocking, very catchy
Wanderer - VERY unique
Discotheque - Catchy vocal track, kickass guitar riff
Do You Feel Loved&Mofo - Indescribable
If God... - Gorgeous
Staring At The Sun - Brilliant
Last Night On Earth - Rocking, catchy
Gone - Brilliant
If You Wear... - Gorgeous, Subtle, Underrated
Playboy Mansion - Bittersweet, Great
Please - Brilliant, Epic
Wake Up Dead Man - Depressing, Brilliant

I know this post won't make a difference, but I'm rather annoyed by these people saying 'be realistic', as if there's no possible way someone who's being realistic could defend Zooropa and Pop and think they're brilliant.

You people are going to put HTDAAB and TUF in the top 4, and neither should be in the Top 5.

Top 5:

1)AB
2)Pop
3)JT
4)Zooropa
5)Boy

quesboc said:
This really is a bad way to determine the ranking of the albums. Too many people vote to protect a beloved album instead of voting on principle. A poll where people could rank all the albums and then the albums receive points for so many first place votes, second place votes, etc. would be better, then you wouldn't have people voting out albums they normally would rank higher. But this is fun. Down with UF.

We actually run our government elections in that fashion with the result that the most mediocre wins.

But yes, point taken, this is not the best way of determining the favourite album.

It would be better as a secret ballot. But if I was to ask people to email me their votes in private I don't believe many people would participate.

PS On a separate note, Pop is my favourite album.

Pop is 5th in my personal list, and will probably be the same in this list... so I wont feel sad after this round especialy since it's higher than ATYCLB thing...

The real pain for me is not having Boy and War in the top 5 here....:(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom