***Survivor: A New Competition (Eighties Singles Rd 1)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the single you like the LEAST

• U2:3 (Out Of Control)

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Another Day

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 11 O'clock Tick Tock

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • A Day Without Me

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I Will Follow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire (aka U2 R.O.K.)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Gloria

• A Celebration

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • New Year's Day

• Two Hearts Beat As One

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Pride (In The Name Of Love)

• The Unforgettable Fire

• With Or Without You

• I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

• Where The Streets Have No Name

• In God's Country

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • One Tree Hill

• Desire

• Angel Of Harlem

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • When Love Comes To Town

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • All I Want Is You

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
40. Pointless if you have the album and also not a good single at all... it's a great song but NOT single material. Fire, on the other hand, is an awesome song... so don't vote it off yet, man.

Palace_Hero said:
Ugh.

When Love Comes to Town for fucks sake.

Dancing Barefoot, despite the fact it's a cover, is one sensational b-side. And I personally love WLCTT.

ImOuttaControl said:
Unforgettable Fire---snyths..ehhh, the most dated and cheesiest studio version U2 has. (I love the live versions without the synths)

You're not just voting for the individual song, though. You're voting for the single as a whole. UF is probably one of U2's best singles, with sensational b-sides: The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, and Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come.

Frankly, I think either UF or the first three from JT should win on the weight of their incredible b-sides.

(And in the next round, I will ensure to list b-sides.)

Axver said:

You're not just voting for the individual song, though. You're voting for the single as a whole. UF is probably one of U2's best singles, with sensational b-sides: The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, and Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come.

Frankly, I think either UF or the first three from JT should win on the weight of their incredible b-sides.

(And in the next round, I will ensure to list b-sides.)

Honestly, I find UF as a terrible single as well as the whole era. It was brave for U2 to try a new sound, but they didn't really figure it out till they recored the joshua tree. Nearly every song/b-side from TUF is just aweful in my opinion with exception to pride, bad and promenade and love comes tumbling.

"One Tree Hill" and "In God's Country" are both repetitive as their b-sides are album tracks (and the same ones at that).......I'm voting for the latter because it's the weaker of the two songs.

I cannot believe that 40 and When Love Comes To Town are tied at 9-9! People, vote for 40! 40 only has two tracks readily available on War (40 and Two Hearts Beat As One), whereas When Love Comes To Town has what may be U2's best cover, Dancing Barefoot. It would be a crime to have it eliminated first!

And When Love Comes To Town is a duet with BB King for fricks sake! Crap! BB is a God.

Ah well, shows everything is running like clock work. Anything I like is always eliminated early on. :mad:

Axver said:
I cannot believe that 40 and When Love Comes To Town are tied at 9-9! People, vote for 40! 40 only has two tracks readily available on War (40 and Two Hearts Beat As One), whereas When Love Comes To Town has what may be U2's best cover, Dancing Barefoot. It would be a crime to have it eliminated first!

In that case I voted for 40. :wink:

My vote goes to '40'

BigMacPhisto said:
"One Tree Hill" and "In God's Country" are both repetitive as their b-sides are album tracks (and the same ones at that).......I'm voting for the latter because it's the weaker of the two songs.

Those ones are next!

beli said:
And When Love Comes To Town is a duet with BB King for fricks sake! Crap! BB is a God.

Ah well, shows everything is running like clock work. Anything I like is always eliminated early on. :mad:

:mad: I want to know what's wrong with When Love Comes To Town. It's got BB King! It's got great guitar and drums! It's a popular song that made their Best Of! I grew up on this song; when I was little, I thought BB was Edge. What's wrong with it? Are the lyrics too 'religious'? Nooo ... we all love Gloria and UTEOTW. Is it too ... I don't know. I'm stumped as to why the song is so unpopular.

And Dancing Barefoot is bloody sensational. I'm listening to it right now, and this single simply has to last.

</rant>

By the way, beli, did you take note of how many people had voted after the first day? I'd be interested to see how participation in the two survivor competitions compares.

Axver said:
By the way, beli, did you take note of how many people had voted after the first day? I'd be interested to see how participation in the two survivor competitions compares.

No. I didn't pay much attention actually. Sorry. :slant:

I just had a thought. Is it the weekend in the USA? The amount of people from the USA on Interference seriously drops over the weekend. Not just in Survivor, its across all the forums. Many people surf the web at work or Uni. ie on weekdays.

beli said:

No. I didn't pay much attention actually. Sorry. :slant:

Oh well ... we've just about hit fifty votes so I'm pretty pleased. I don't expect everyone will be well acquianted with the singles, so that may impact the voting. We'll probably see an increase when we hit the finals with the more popular singles and well-known b-sides.

For now, we just need to keep When Love Comes To Town in the game. I hope to see that 40 is gone when I wake up tomorrow.

beli said:
I just had a thought. Is it the weekend in the USA? The amount of people from the USA on Interference seriously drops over the weekend. Not just in Survivor, its across all the forums. Many people surf the web at work or Uni. ie on weekdays.

Ah, that's true, and the forum was even more dead today because of that boring farce they call sport, aka the Super Bowl.

Hopefully tomorrow's round will see more participation.

beli said:

Don't say that. I like 40 too. :(

I love 40, the song. The single release, however, is the worst of the lot. I can't believe I'll soon be voting for One Tree Hill, but really, putting solely album tracks on a single is incredibly weak.

That said, ANYTHING is better than remixes. Bono reading a page from the phone book would be a better b-side than a remix.

Axver said:
That said, ANYTHING is better than remixes. Bono reading a page from the phone book would be a better b-side than a remix.

:shame:
Some remixes are pretty cool.
And FYI, the EBTTRT remix single charted higher than the regular one in the UK!

Popmartijn said:

:shame:
Some remixes are pretty cool.

Yeah, I think I once heard a good one. No, make that twice. Dub Mix of Wire and Junk Day Mix of Dirty Day. Normally, I find them intolerable ... but I still buy the single. Why? I don't know.

And FYI, the EBTTRT remix single charted higher than the regular one in the UK!

:laugh: Wow.

boystupidboy said:
I want to burn every single copy of 'when love comes to town'.I bastard detest that song.....u2 are not a blues band:madspit:
Come on ppl vote that shite off:madspit: :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

See my rant earlier about WLCTT hate!

GREAT song! Folks, get rid of 40 because it's a CRAP SINGLE. 40/THBAO? WTF?

Axver said:

See my rant earlier about WLCTT hate!

GREAT song! Folks, get rid of 40 because it's a CRAP SINGLE. 40/THBAO? WTF?

Correct! I never even knew til today that 40 had been released as a single! Germany was it?:eyebrow:

What on earth were they thinking then?!

Aardvark747 said:

Correct! I never even knew til today that 40 had been released as a single! Germany was it?:eyebrow:

What on earth were they thinking then?!

Yeah, solely released in Germany. I can't believe THBAO was used as the b-side. Something like Drowning Man would have made a LOT more sense.

I think they were promoting the Loreley gig and the tracks it provided for the UABRS album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom