survey-what shows did you see and where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrs. Mullen and ZOOTB -

If I'm considered a nut even on this board I must be in bad shape . . .

I've wanted to do this for a LONG time, but never had the time or money because of school, residency, etc.

My lodging costs were very limited since I live in St. Louis, my parents live in Chicago, my brother lives in Boston, and I have friends to stay with in New York. But the bottom line is that at this point I'm a practicing physician, so I was able to indulge myself. Once it became clear that U2 was playing a wider variety of songs than they did in the 1990s, I was determined to see as many shows as possible in the cities where I figured they'd mix up the setlists.

Time was a LOT harder than money. I was able to correctly gauge from the skeleton schedules how many Chicago and Boston (and Providence) dates there would be each time around, and planned accordingly. I've used most of my vacation days for these trips over the last 9 months; the only reason I missed the October New York shows and Vegas is that I'm saving the remaining days for my May 2002 wedding/honeymoon (obviously the time allotted to this is non-negotiable, by my choice and hers - she's my only addiction greater than U2) and the off-chance there may be another U2 Boston thing during January.

The results have been astounding in terms of seeing songs. The only song played in the U.S. that I did not see was WILATW (and of course this occurred in Missouri!) - I was on call that night unfortunately or I would have driven to K.C. Of the 46 U2 original songs played this year (including the pre-shows), I only missed 5: Hawkmoon (half-song), Running to Stand Still, Spanish Eyes, 40, and WILATW. Most of these were only played once. I saw 11 O'Clock, Out of Control, A Sort of Homecoming, Slow Dancing, and In God's Country - all songs I never thought I'd see again. A dream come true.

My fiance was incredibly supportive, and actually came to Slane with me (and other shows). We had lots of fun on the road together, though I have no doubt she wonders about her man sometimes.

Here's my justification: it's considered normal behavior to spend $250,000 on a house - for many, having all this space apparently brings lots of pleasure. I have no interest in this. Instead, I spend 1% of that amount on U2 shows, which bring me an incredible amount of pleasure and some special experiences with friends and fiance.

8 in total
biggrin.gif

London 18th, 19th, 21st & 22nd Aug

then travelled to US for a week long road trip

NY 27/10
NJ 28/10
Providence 30th & 31st Oct

Had the time of my life these last few months.

------------------
Being one can be great but respecting differences can be greater. - Bono in Belfast, August 26, 1997

5 shows in total:

Montreal :May 27th and 28th
Albany: June 2nd
Montreal: October 12
Hamilton:October 13

Each one of these shows were memorable in their own way. They were the highlight and the best moments of my year.

Thank you, U2.

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Naya (edited 12-06-2001).]

thanks for a "beautiful" tour, U2!!!!

HOUSTON /APRIL 2ND /LEVEL 2
NEW JERSEY /JUNE 22ND/HEART TIP,OUTSIDE
AUSTIN /NOV 5TH /INSIDE HEART,ADAM SIDE
DALLAS* /NOV 25TH /INSIDE HEART,ADAM SIDE(*this show gets 5 big ass grins..hehehe
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

------------------
"life should be fragrant; rooftop to the basement". Peace, U2 lovers ...from AdamGrrl

Toronto, May 24th: Drove two hours to get there
Hamilton, October 13th: Drove one hour to get there (and three hours back; goddamn Hamilton traffic)

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

1. Sunrise, FL 3/24 (10 min drive) - I had seats in the upper deck behind the stage for this one. My first U2 concert (first one ever for that matter) and seeing them in the flesh for the first time was odd. It seemed as if I knew them all my life. The highlights of the show were definitely SBS, Streets, and Sweetest Thing. The biggest surprise was Bono's vocals, its the best I've ever heard him sound.

2. Sunrise, FL 3/26 (10 min drive)- I was across the stage in the lower bowl during this show. This one wasn't nearly good as opening night. It felt as if Bono was tired from the previous night and was just going through the motions. The biggest suprise was Angel of Harlem, even though U2 was rusty with it.

3. Philadelphia, PA (800 miles) - I drove there and back the same day. On the way there (near Baltimore) I blew out my spare tire and the original tire was flat. I was very fortunate to have a stranger stop immediately and take me to a tire repair shop. Luckily, all they had to do was replace a valve on the original tire, which took about 15 mins. Its a good thing since I arrived in Philly only 15 mins before U2 took the stage. I guess it was worth it since I was in GA and they played Wild Honey followed by PLEASE!

Even after the Philly show I keep telling myself I'm not a U2 fanatic.

[This message has been edited by qball7200 (edited 12-07-2001).]

22 shows total.
I don't know how I pulled it off, considering I am in grad scholl and have 2 jobs. I live in San Francisco, so I racked up quite a few frequent flyer miles.
All the shows were GA, all front row rail except Philly 6/11, London 8/19, Slane 8/25 and Sacramento, which were from the second row in the heart from the main stage.
I made HUGE sacrifices for this, but it was all more than worth it!

San Jose - Apr 19 and 20
Philadelphia - June 11 and 12
Washington DC - June 14 and 15
New Jersey - June 21 and 22
London - Aug 19, 20 and 22
Slane - Aug 25
New York - Oct 27
New Jersey - Oct 28
Providence -Oct 30 and 31
Philadelphia - Nov 2
Oakland - Nov 15 and 16
LA - Nov 19
Sacramento - Nov 20
Miami - Dec 2

Both Washington D.C. shows (14 & 15th of June)
Baltimore (where i exchanged shirts with Dallas)
Philadelphia (where I met Dallas and got a pic with him)

DC was 20 mins away, Baltimore was 40, Philly was 2 hrs. So no travel worries at all! Best times of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom