Survey for my report on U2 and politics--please read!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:

1) Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level? (YES/NO)

No, but Bono's involvement in the Drop the Debt campaign is the sole reason that I am aware of the significance of that issue.

2) Do you view Bono's active role in politics as a publicity move? (YES/NO)

Not in a negative way, no.

3) Which of these four politically charged U2 songs is your favorite?
A) Sunday Bloody Sunday
B) New Years Day
C) Bullet the Blue Sky
D) Seconds

New Years Day

Originally posted by MBH:
Some questions for you, if I may::
1. where are you from?
2. What grade or college yr. are you in?
3. Do most people in your school REALLY not know who U2 is? I find that extremely hard to believe. Even if they don't like U2, how could they not have heard of them? Considering all of the promotion that they have received recently, I would be shocked if many people at your school did not know of them. Well, if they are unfamiliar with them, you are just gonna have to familiarize them yourself! Good luck!

Hey thanks everyone, this is interesting I'll post results and all that once the minimum number of participants is met...

1) I'm from Louisiana
2) I'm a senior in high school
3) hmmmm well I do know that when I discuss U2 I get multiple people scratching at their foreheads... a survey probably wouldn't go over too well because they wouldn't be as 'in the know' as you guys. True, there has been much publicity... so I'll try to give them the benefit of the doubt next time
wink.gif

1. Yes, it has. Their music has made me aware of political issues, causes, organizations, even social injustices, things that I probably wouldn't have noticed or given attention if not because of their influence.

2. No, not at all. I wholeheartedly believe that he has been sincere in his efforts throughout his life.

3. Bullet the Blue Sky. It's a powerful song which I can relate, being from a latin american country.

Hope it helps Jennifer. Good luck.
smile.gif

Yes
No
Bullet the Blue Sky

------------------
The more you take the less you feel
The less you know the more you believe
The more you have the more it takes today

Originally posted by spinninghead77:

1) No, the music hasn't urged me to change my beliefs, however, it has opened my eyes to various struggle's going on in the world. Researching these struggles further has helped me to develop my belief system, and my political stance.

2) No. I belive that Bono has used his celebrity to get involved in politics, however, in my opinion, he is doing it for the best possible reason. Because he cares.

3)Bullet the Blue Sky.

Exactly what you said.

1) No, but i don't think i would have known about the Drop the debt campaign for example if Bono didn't lend his name to it.

2) No. He's been doing it even before fame came with JT, and he certainly has more than enough publicity with the band already.

3) Hmmm - now you got me.
biggrin.gif
Can't say i'm a huge fan of any of those - Bullet the blue sky.

1) Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level? (YES/NO)

While U2's music and Bono's actions have made me more aware of events in the world, they have not changed my own beliefs or not had an effect on which charities I prefer. Therefore, the answer is "NO."

Considering U2's longevity as a band, the answer is clearly "NO." They don't need this type of publicity to succeed. Furthermore, considering that U2/Bono have supported charities for years and have been involved in numerous organizations, frequently going well beyond what most artists do (who claim to support charities), the answer becomes a definitive "NO." Lastly, knowing that Bono is actually doing this charity work at the expense of his band's music, his family (and he has a newborn son!) and his time and cost, the answer becomes an aggressive "NO." If Bono were doing this simply for publicity, he would have been dismissed ages ago - all of this is very much real and I become VERY annoyed at anyone who feels that his actions aren't true or that Bono should only concentrate on music.

A) Sunday Bloody Sunday
B) New Years Day
C) Bullet the Blue Sky
D) Seconds

I wish you would have included "Please" into that list as I would have chosen that. But since you didn't, I will choose (A) Sunday Bloody Sunday.

1) not changed, but it has definitely strengthened beliefs or motivated me to live up to them.

2) absolutely not

3) A) Sunday Bloody Sunday

no
no
new year's day

------------------
I dig my toes into the sand. The ocean looks like a 1,000 diamonds strewn across a blue plain. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless. And in this moment I am happy... happy.

Love,
Emily

I wish you were here.

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
Emily's Wallpapers

I have a report due on April 11th, topic of my choice, I chose "U2 lead singer Bono and how rock stardom can influence politics."

We have to incorporate a survey taken by atleast 50 poeple into the report, consisting of a minimum of 3 questions. Ofcourse, I went with the minimum number
biggrin.gif
Please answer these three questions--I'd really appreciate it! Feel free to comment on your answers, they may be useful for my report as well. I assume this is a good place to conduct the survey, being that as U2 fans y'all have a greater knowledge of the subject matter--people at my school would be like "U-Who?" :

A) Sunday Bloody Sunday
B) New Years Day
C) Bullet the Blue Sky
D) Seconds

1) No but it has made me look at issues in different ways. The beauty of U2 (for me) is that their fundamental, at the core of the issue, beliefs translates to me as the golden rule and love and respect for all humanity.

2)No - I believe he genuinely wants to better humanity and is doing it from his heart.

3) Seconds

Martha's husband sez:
1. no
2. no
3. Bullet the Blue Sky

Comment: "I thought those were all the same song."

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

) Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level? (YES/NO)

Yes...not in what I believe, since I share their views, but in my faith that those beliefs matter, that it isn't futile to act on them.

Hell, no -- not for U2, but it sure is for the politics!

Ooooh... NYD has an edge (no pun intended!!) over BBS only because it isn't so over-exposed, purely a subjective thing. I like NYD's subtle passion and poetry -- but BBS still has amazing lyrics. (I'm listening to it right now...hmm, maybe it'll have to be Bullet...IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION!
biggrin.gif
)
And I like that you included Seconds.

------------------
I wanna walk with you along an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

1. Yes. There are several political issues on which they've made me reconsider my views. One example is Greenpeace. I didn't support Greenpeace. U2's support made me reconsider it, and look more closely at Greenpeace. Now, I feel even more strongly that I shouldn't support Greenpeace.

2. Nope.

3. SBS

1) Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level?
Yes.

2) Do you view Bono's active role in politics as a publicity move?
No

C) Bullet the Blue Sky

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Back
Top Bottom