Surprise songs during the PopMart tour...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homerpalooza

Acrobat
I know that the guys played "Mothers of the Disappeared" a few nights while they were in South America. Is this the only rare song that made an appearance during that tour? Anything else?

I really hope for more varied setlists for their next tour (seriously, bring back some stuff like "Dirty Day" and "In God's Country")...

I don't want them leaving off classics though... Streets... if they left that off I would be so pissed. I would not leave the stadium until the bloody well came back and played it.

As for suprise songs, MOTD is the only one I can think of... except for:

08/16/97 Airfield - Wiener Neustadt, Austria
Intro (Pop Muzik), Mofo, I Will Follow, Gone, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Last Night On Earth, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Pride (In The Name Of Love), I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, All I Want Is You, Staring At The Sun, Suspicious Minds, Miami, Bullet The Blue Sky, Please, Where The Streets Have No Name, Lemon (taped mix), Discoth?que, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, With Or Without You
encores: Hold Me,Thrill Me,Kiss Me,Kill Me, Mysterious Ways, One, I Can't Help Falling In Love With You

:ohmy: I never knew until then! Is that right? And yes, I know it isn't really their song, but a suprise anyway.

Most of the stuff they did on Popmart were snippets (1st verse and chorus done by Bono alone at the end of One). MLK, CHFIL were both done this way.

They also played a full band version of Rain by the Beatles at 4 or 5 shows as the last song. Bad was only played a couple of times and all were on the 4th leg. Do You Feel Loved was only done at about 7 or 8 shows at the beginning of the tour and the full band version of If God Would Send His Angels was only done once. So I dont know if those count. The only major variation was when Edge was doing his Karoake routine. The standard was Daydream Believer but he also did Sweet Caroline, Its Not Unusual, Radar Love, Suspicious Minds, The Macarana (with a very harsh response LOL), and a few others I cant remember off hand.

They did play a snippet at the end of Discotheque

The entire song would have rocked the house, right after HMTMKMKM

Miss Sarajevo! The suprise U2 Live song of all time! Played once in Sarajevo! Daniel Lanois came on stage to help out. Great performance. At the end, Bono says, "I hope you enjoyed it, because we can't fuckin' play it." The song was played very well though.

Hit me on AIM (fenderzigocaster) to get the mp3! Totally Awesome!

Last edited:
Which show did they do a snippet at the end of Discotheque? I know Bono sang a few lines of the Fly at the end of Streets at the 10-31-97 Detroit show because someone threw some Fly shades on the ramp and Bono put them on and started rambling off the Fly lyrics (I witnessed this first hand as I was there). But I'am not familiar with it at the end of Discotheque. Just curious.

Honestly, I don't think Miss Sarajevo was much of a surprise at all. It hadn't been made before any other tour and it's very appropriate for where it was played. It would've been more of a surprise if it hadn't been played.

Blue Room said:
Most of the stuff they did on Popmart were snippets (1st verse and chorus done by Bono alone at the end of One). MLK, CHFIL were both done this way.

They also played a full band version of Rain by the Beatles at 4 or 5 shows as the last song. Bad was only played a couple of times and all were on the 4th leg. Do You Feel Loved was only done at about 7 or 8 shows at the beginning of the tour and the full band version of If God Would Send His Angels was only done once. So I dont know if those count. The only major variation was when Edge was doing his Karoake routine. The standard was Daydream Believer but he also did Sweet Caroline, Its Not Unusual, Radar Love, Suspicious Minds, The Macarana (with a very harsh response LOL), and a few others I cant remember off hand.

now just a minute; they played "rain"????
as a full band version??
no way; I want audio proof.....:wink:

They definitely played a full version of Rain at the end of the show at Leeds 28/8/97.

The full band version of "Rain" was played at a few show spontaneously, due to the fact that it was raining at the concert. It's really awesome. It sounds like the perfect way to end the Popmart concert.....on a high, happy note. Rather than slowly fading out with Wake up dead man or MLK.

Here are the shows that Rain was played at:

7-2-97 Foxboro
7-18-97 Rotterdam
7-31-97 Mannheim
8-28-97 Leeds
9-13-97 Barcelona
11-12-97 Jacksonville

As mentioned before it was done at shows where it was raining (Imagine that! LOL) and it was played as the last song and it was a full band version. Bono would end it by saying "Good night and fuck off!" There are decent recordings of all of these shows and Leeds is even an FM broadcast.

Homerpalooza said:

Come to think of it, "The Fly" would have been a perfect candidate for PopMart. I wonder why they never played it then?

Because that idiot called The Edge thinks The Fly didn?t pass the test of time, something like that :mad:

The snippet-ed paraphrased version of Sunday Bloody Sunday during Please at Eugene 1997-05-06 (the other versions were just The Edge on guitar) was a VERY rare one-off classic moment.
AND surprise!

FelipeVox said:

Because that idiot called The Edge thinks The Fly didn?t pass the test of time, something like that :mad:

Actually he said that only around the time of the Best 1990-2000 release, to explain why the song wouldn?t be there, except for the UK release. And remember, The Fly was played several times in the Elevation Tour.

Btw, I?m sorry but The Edge could be anything but idiot IMO.

MT

follower said:

Actually he said that only around the time of the Best 1990-2000 release, to explain why the song wouldn?t be there, except for the UK release. And remember, The Fly was played several times in the Elevation Tour.

Btw, I?m sorry but The Edge could be anything but idiot IMO.

MT

I can't even believe someone could use those two words, idiot & The Edge in the same sentence. FV, have you lost your mind?

at the very beginning of the tour i'm guessing "I will follow" was a major suprise...anyone who put bets on that being played thoughout popmart would be rich!

Blue Room said:
Here are the shows that Rain was played at:

7-2-97 Foxboro
7-18-97 Rotterdam
7-31-97 Mannheim
8-28-97 Leeds
9-13-97 Barcelona
11-12-97 Jacksonville

As mentioned before it was done at shows where it was raining (Imagine that! LOL) and it was played as the last song and it was a full band version. Bono would end it by saying "Good night and fuck off!" There are decent recordings of all of these shows and Leeds is even an FM broadcast.

At the Foxboro show, this was completely spontaneous. As the last show of the first leg, the band had been pretty loose all night. (This show felt a lot more "fun" than the night before.) IIRC, Adam and Larry had left the stage already after "One", and Edge was heading off too. Bono grabbed Edge and said something to him, then they began playing "Rain" (it had been raining off-and-on since "Lemon" that night). Edge was looking right at his guitar the whole time, picking out the notes. Adam and Larry then wandered back onstage, with Adam playing face-to-face with Edge to match his chords.

Anyone who had the setlist from the net (or had seen the previous night's show) knew this was totally unplanned, and Edge and Adam showed it was also unrehearsed.

Last edited:
Anyone who had the setlist from the net (or had seen the previous night's show) knew this was totally unplanned, and Edge and Adam showed it was also unrehearsed. [/B][/QUOTE]
yeah?

how many wrong notes were played?

desire was played a handful of times

bad had a few turns in south america and the pacific rim

40 was played as a closer on some dates on the 3rd and 4th legs

do you feel loved of course was dropped after the first set of shows

just found this out from the u2 live book: zoo station was rehersed for the vienna show :drool: but never made the set. imagine the kick routine on the big screen.........

miss sarajevo in sarajevo of course

miami returning for the show in miami was a one off of sorts, as the song had been dropped

the fly coming at the end of the houston discotheque is a beauty

what i really like out of all the snippets is when grandmaster flash's 'the message' was uses in BTBS. it gelled really well into the song, eg Leeds

Back
Top Bottom