Superbowl half time show lip synching gone wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lov12113

The Fly
Okay, I know most pop acts such as those performing at the superbowl half time show usually lip synch some or all of their concerts. But did anyone else notice that the lip synching by Janet Jackson, Nelly, P. Diddy and just about all of the acts this year was particularly bad. I was closely watching Janet and I don't even think she moved her mouth to half of the lyrics that she was supposedly singing. The only one that may not have been lip synching was Kid Rock and I'm not even convinced of that either. U2 completely blew these guys away when they performed at the 2002 superbowl.

At least they opened with a U2 song before the show started in their build up to the performers, "Choose to..."

BUT DID YOU SEE AT THE VERY END JANET'S BOOB FALLING OUT OF HER SHIRT AFTER JUSTIN RIPPED HER DRESS OFF? WTF WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?!?!?!?! NFL AND THEIR FAMILY PROGRAMMING MY ASS!!!

Allegra said:
BUT DID YOU SEE AT THE VERY END JANET'S BOOB FALLING OUT OF HER SHIRT AFTER JUSTIN RIPPED HER DRESS OFF? WTF WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?!?!?!?! NFL AND THEIR FAMILY PROGRAMMING MY ASS!!!
janet jackson is a well-endowed woman, i'm sure it was a mistake. that sort of stuff happens sometimes when women wear low cut dresses or tops, i don't see it as such a big deal.

but now if we wanna complain about something, what about that aerosmith performance! the one year anniversary of columbia and they show them in astronaut suits, and show the camera going closer and closer to the earth, texas to be exact. it may have been a tribute, but damn that seemed tasteless.

KhanadaRhodes said:

janet jackson is a well-endowed woman, i'm sure it was a mistake. that sort of stuff happens sometimes when women wear low cut dresses or tops, i don't see it as such a big deal.

Personally, I don't see it as a big deal either and thought it was an accident at first. But it looked like her nipple was covered with a silver star. That's when I thought it might be staged. That's why I'm asking. Which is it? Accident or not? If not, then the FCC might look at Bono differently, as far as a loose musician. I guess we will just have to wait and find out from the news. Even then they might not talk about it, but I'm sure one of the late night comedians will.

Over all, the halftime sucked. The timing was off. It was just messy.

U2 was the best and is still number one for halftime performances!

Allegra said:
Personally, I don't see it as a big deal either and thought it was an accident at first. But it looked like her nipple was covered with a silver star. That's when I thought it might be staged. That's why I'm asking. Which is it? Accident or not? If not, then the FCC might look at Bono differently, as far as a loose musician. I guess we will just have to wait and find out from the news. Even then they might not talk about it, but I'm sure one of the late night comedians will.
i'm assuming it was her nipple ring. :shrug: i know she's got one, if not both, pierced. someone posted a still over at B&C (i wasn't paying too much attention when it happened so i didn't really see their performance, i muted it when janet busted into an almost 4 year old song) and it definitely looks like a nipple ring, imo.

all i can say is i hope this at least takes the heat off of bono. why they're still obsessing over a word he uttered forever ago is beyond me. i don't see either as a big deal, but i'd rather have my kid hear the "f-word" (which i'm sure every kid has heard uttered by their dad thousands of times) than see an entire breast pouring out on national television.

can we please not let mtv ever produce a half time show again? that was a load of horse dung

and for those wondering... the last verse of rock your body is the following...
Are you feeling me?
Let's do something
Let's make a bet
Cause I, gotta have you naked by the end of this song

so yea... the boob stunt was on purpose...

and although i don't exactly mind seeing janet's boobies, i think it was a very classless act by MTV to present something like that...

i can gaurantee ya the nfl is livid

from the AP

NEW YORK -- CBS apologized on Sunday for an unexpectedly R-rated end to its Super Bowl halftime show, when singer Justin Timberlake tore off part of Janet Jackson's top, exposing her breast.

"CBS deeply regrets the incident," spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade said after the network received several calls about the show.

The two singers were performing a flirtatious duet to end the halftime show, and at the song's finish, Timberlake reached across Jackson's leather gladiator outfit and pulled off the covering to her right breast.

The network quickly cut away from the shot, and did not mention the incident on the air.

It was unclear whether Timberlake intended to expose Jackson's breast.

Wade said CBS officials attended rehearsals of the halftime show all week, "and there was no indication any such thing would happen. The moment did not conform to CBS' broadcast standards and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended."

The Super Bowl halftime show, which also featured Puff Daddy, Nelly and Kid Rock, was produced by MTV, CBS' corporate cousin in Viacom.

"We were extremely disappointed by elements of the MTV-produced halftime show," Joe Browne, NFL executive vice president, said. "They were totally inconsistent with assurances our office was given about the content of the show.

"It's unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime."

i thought i had a plan to completely avoid watching the half time show at all, i had the 2001 show downloaded, and was going to watch it instead. unfortunately, i started it too early, and ended up catching the end of this years.
i was already freaked out by the wierdness of janet's performance, and was thinking to myself, "this is better than u2 how?" and then they pulled a "lil kim". (remember the mtv whatever-awards where lil kim had the dress and the star on the nipple).
wow, what the hell is going on is all i could think to say.

The only one that may not have been lip synching was Kid Rock and I'm not even convinced of that either

Kid Rock definitely missed a couple of lines.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
from the AP

NEW YORK -- CBS apologized on Sunday for an unexpectedly R-rated end to its Super Bowl halftime show, when singer Justin Timberlake tore off part of Janet Jackson's top, exposing her breast.

"CBS deeply regrets the incident," spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade said after the network received several calls about the show.

The two singers were performing a flirtatious duet to end the halftime show, and at the song's finish, Timberlake reached across Jackson's leather gladiator outfit and pulled off the covering to her right breast.

The network quickly cut away from the shot, and did not mention the incident on the air.

It was unclear whether Timberlake intended to expose Jackson's breast.

Wade said CBS officials attended rehearsals of the halftime show all week, "and there was no indication any such thing would happen. The moment did not conform to CBS' broadcast standards and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended."

The Super Bowl halftime show, which also featured Puff Daddy, Nelly and Kid Rock, was produced by MTV, CBS' corporate cousin in Viacom.

"We were extremely disappointed by elements of the MTV-produced halftime show," Joe Browne, NFL executive vice president, said. "They were totally inconsistent with assurances our office was given about the content of the show.

"It's unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime."

Well....DUH!!! Obviously the NFL hasn't watched MTV lately. Didn't they know what they were getting into? Not only that, here you have people who normally do cable programing doing TV programming. The NFL should have known better and should have listened to Bono. Oh, and if CBS is trying to get out of getting fined by the FCC, good luck! CBS should have had their five second delay on.

At least I would like to thank CBS's slip-up and Janet's exposure because now Bono can be left alone.

At least now I'm glad Bono was turned down for his AIDS presentation. That was utter shit and I can honestly say that it's a good thing the AIDS crisis wasn't higlighted there, cause with the boobies and the shitty music the AIDS presentation would certainly have been forgotten. :|

DaveC said:
At least now I'm glad Bono was turned down for his AIDS presentation. That was utter shit and I can honestly say that it's a good thing the AIDS crisis wasn't higlighted there, cause with the boobies and the shitty music the AIDS presentation would certainly have been forgotten. :|

I thought Bono and J-Lo were going to duet, no? There was potential for even more exposure there...

Last edited:
just my 2 cents...THAT WAS SO PLANNED!!! My husband thought he saw a tassle on her breast.:uhoh:

It's too bad that the mediocre performance of Janet ("I can generate more publicity than Brittany & Madonna") Jackson has overshadowed a great football game.

Nothing will meet U2's halftime performance....

i was at a superbowl party and everyone agreed that the halftime show sucked. just about everyone commented about how good u2's performance was 2 years ago and how it was so much better having one fantastic band instead of 6 or 7 mediocre people.

there's a little survey on E! online asking who was the best performer and one of the options is "bring back Bono"!

u2grace said:
there's a little survey on E! online asking who was the best performer and one of the options is "bring back Bono"!

Cool! I'm going over there to vote! :up:

Oops, I just realized they said "bring back Bono," not "bring back U2." Maybe I should send the folks at E! an e-mail informing them that the guy singing on stage two years ago is in a band called U2, not a solo artist. I love Bono, but honestly, I'm getting sick of the way the media seems to forget there are three other guys in the band. :|

KhanadaRhodes said:
i take this back. i saw a closer up picture that revealed she wasn't wearing a nipple ring, but like a nipple costume or something! :lmao:

i meant to post this last night, but i forgot where i posted it! :laugh: anyway, yeah, who would wear something that flashy if they didn't expect to have their boob hanging out?

i also have a hard time believing mtv didn't know about this stunt beforehand.

u2grace said:

I just caught the end of it and the question was asking something like who you would like to see in a halftime show or next one? A: Janet J, B: PDiddy or C:someone else,
or D:"None of the above, just bring back Bono" this answer won the most vote's.
Bet they won't turn him away again. :wink:
What am I saying, of course they would. These TV executive's have no bloody sense.

Last edited:
Yea it was nipple jewelry. :eyebrow:
The Drudge report is saying Viacom approved it and MTV kept saying "Janet's shocking moments. Even Justin looked a little shocked.

Definitely stunk - Bring back U2!!!!

I'm proud Bono wasn't involved in that shitty, trashy halftime show. It sucked so bad it was laughable. I didn't even see the boob thing, okay I wasn't paying much attention because I dislike her and him both, but now that I see the lyrics I'm sure it was on purpose too. It may have been just him who did it on purpose, she looked kind of embarrassed in the pic I saw in the paper as she covered it up. The report that MTV had been saying Janet's performance would be 'one for the record books' has to make you wonder or at least be suspicious it was planned.

Last edited:
Thank god us in England watch our sports finals for the actual sport and not what happens in half time! Two pages of the superbowl here and not one person has mentioned what teams were playing and who won! lol :coocoo: The day this kind of stuff happens in English sports will be a sad day indeed!
...cranks the wind up handle... :laugh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom