Superbowl Bono's voice - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2002, 11:53 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Superbowl Bono's voice

I was just watching the superbowl performance and was wondering what was the problem with Bono's voice. Was he sick or something? I'm sure he knew he had to keep it since it was the superbowl halftime! I mean I hope he has been careful with his voice a couple a days before. I was expecting a 100% healty voice. I'm a little disapointed with that because it was occasion to show EVERYBODY that U2 are awsome live. But, without a healty Bono, it's another ball game. What a day to lose it...

Old 02-23-2002, 12:09 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:24 AM
I dunno if he was sick, but it was very raspy. thankfully no one really noticed and it didn't take away from the performance- i myself was only vaguely aware of it watching it for the first time, and realized how raspy it was on the 2nd run through. he probably was out partying the night before, or talkin too much at WEF and stuff.

------------------
Every reason that's not enough
Is falling, falling at your feet

High..Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini

Old 02-23-2002, 12:18 AM   #3
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Obviously you people are totally wrong to even suggest that there is anything remotely wrong with Bono's voice! How dare you?
Old 02-23-2002, 12:42 AM   #4
Kid A

Bono's voice is faltering, no denying that, but usually it's decent enough not to detract from the overall live performance of the band

Old 02-23-2002, 01:01 AM   #5
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Bono's voice is faltering, no denying that, but usually it's decent enough not to detract from the overall live performance of the band

You said it. The superbowl performance, his voice was a bit shot, but he responded to that with so much energy and passion it was far far better than almost all modern rock singers. He's good at doing that, incidentally.

------------------
"Hold on to the corners of today, and we'll fold it up to save until it's needed."
Old 02-23-2002, 01:05 AM   #6
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:24 AM
I think we, as U2 fans simply expect too much from Bono sometimes. Give him a break.

------------------
The wind will crack in winter time
No spoken words, just a scream

My Lair
Old 02-23-2002, 01:34 AM   #7
Kid A

maybe I will give him a "break"
Old 02-23-2002, 01:38 AM   #8
War Child

He's 42 years old. I think his voice is better than ever. It sure beats the hell out of anyone else's I've ever heard.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:41 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Agreed, Bono's voice was actually pretty decent at the Superbowl. I've listened to bootlegs where it sound like he swallowed some glass at dinner. Let's face it folks, he trashed his voice during the Lovetown tour. Smoked it out during Zoo TV, and tried too hard to compensate during Popmart. Elevation Tour voice was pretty good compared to some of the squeaks and croaks during Popmart. Who remember's Robert Plant trying to belt out old Zeppelin hits during the late 80's and early 90's. Not pretty. Bono seems to do a better job with U2's older hits. Cut the man some slack. Enjoy them.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:05 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 04:24 AM
We need to accept the fact that Bono's voice is going to get progressively worse with each passing year. He's aging. These things happen. His range will diminish and his low end will become rougher. It happens to every singer who doesn't off himself at the age of 27.
The Superbowl performance was a little rough but what worried me was the newly recorded version of Stay. Even studio gimmickry couldn't hide that Bono's voice has gotten considerably more "scratchy" in the past year.

But hell, he's Bono. The man will find new ways of expressing himself vocally. He's a better singer now with his diminished chops then he was in the late eighties and early nineties when his voice was at its peak.

MAP
Old 02-23-2002, 02:32 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hey, he's 41, not 42!

I'm always amused by how different people react to Bono's voice nowadays. I thought that his voice at the Superbowl was frankly godawful, yet I've read a few fans saying that it was heaps better than on the Elevation DVD.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:37 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Well i dared to say his voice was croaky during the superbowl when those threads were first up but was made to feel i was mean and ungrateful to say it.
mine was just a query.

However, i personally wouldn't say its a disappointment. the man should be allowed to have bad days for goodness sake.
And MIB is right, it never detracts from the overall performance.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:00 AM   #13
The Fly

I guess we are avoiding the real subject of my topic. I don't want to talk about the voice of Bono now in general (because we had several trends on it) but at the suberbowl only. I just cannot understand why he wasn't on 100% when he knew it was the biggest event of the year. I cannot imagine him doing party the night before. It's a non sense. Maybe he did and you see the result. Or maybe he had a flu. Just want to know

I'm curious
Old 02-23-2002, 08:19 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree, his voice was VERY raspy during the Super Bowl. However, unlike some, the first time I watched it I was in "pain" for poor Bono - but on the second watching, it didn't seem as bad as I thought it was on the first listen.

However, I have noticed that when Bono is at his most raspy, his vocals sound like Scott Stapp at his best! This is because Stapp naturally sings in this baritone, raspy, screaming voice.

I wonder if this is the reason so many people thought U2 sounded so good during the Super Bowl - they've grown used to Stapp and Durst style of vocals....
Old 02-23-2002, 09:02 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Please don't compare Bono to that guy.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:37 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

U2 are always innovating right?

maybe bono could revolutionize music with some sort of non-verbal singing method. no?
Old 02-23-2002, 11:24 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Please don't compare Bono to that guy.
Too late - I already compared!

*...oh my sacrifice! *
Old 02-23-2002, 11:39 AM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:24 AM

Old 02-23-2002, 12:07 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony:
I just cannot understand why he wasn't on 100% when he knew it was the biggest event of the year. I cannot imagine him doing party the night before. It's a non sense. Maybe he did and you see the result. Or maybe he had a flu. Just want to know

I'm curious
I think his voice wasn't 100% because he just got off of the Elevation Tour and he had just been speaking non-stop for 5 days (or so) at the World Economic Forum. Bono is quite a jibber-jabberer, and has always talked himself into oblivion. Not being 100% was not a conscious decision - his performance was certainly 200% - people the world over felt what he and the band were getting across - but his voice was clearly strained from recent over-usuage, and not from partying the night before.

Old 02-23-2002, 12:08 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel:
Bono is quite a jibber-jabberer