Superbowl Bono's voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HelloAngel

Don't get me wrong, I tought the performance was awsome!!! I was just curious about why Bono didn't have the voice that day, that's all. Didn't mean to upset you
smile.gif

Wasn't he at some party the night before the Superbowl? That couldn't have helped his voice...

Bono was never Prince Charming if you ask me,
smile.gif
And at least he's not a skinny stick like Mick Jagger: I still have nightmares from watching half-naked Mick sing 'Satisfaction' while prancing around the stage in yellow tights.

HelloAngel

How come he didn't had trouble (from the exeption of Albany) or a scatchy voice on the Elevation tour? You say that he was not 100% because has been speaking non-stop for 5 days at the World Economic Forum. I think that speaking 5 days will not affect your voice as much as touring every single day. So how come speaking messed his voice and not singing almost every day on the tour?

u2 are making a new record and bono is using his voice there thats why his voice is a bit used up trust me.MLK sounded good though.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

I thought Bono sounded good at the SB. I thought the yell at the beginning of Streets was great. The only time I thought he sounded shakey was the 1st few notes of MLK, other than that I thought he sounded fine, as good as the Boston DVD. In fact, I thought he sounded a lot weaker on Bad on the DVD. But lets face it, that song is very challenging for him to sing these days, but he still does it in the original key, unlike SBS & Pride which are played, wisely, in a lower key. Maybe they should do the same with Bad...I've heard great good versions of the tune on this tour, but nothing like the Mid to late 80's period.

He's hot, he's got a great voice, and most importantly, he's got soul.

The raspiness = sexiness.

He will always be the wonderful Bono, adapting with time and making the best of change.

------------------
Q: What did U2 use for power instead of electricity to create their albums?

A: Up until Rattle & Hum, all of the U2 albums were recorded by harnessing the power of fermenting potatoes to symbolize um, the plight of Ireland.

Sifl: No way.

Olly: I know.

-The Sifl & Olly Show

Bono's voice was raspy enough at the Super Bowl that it was a bit noticeable--but I would not say that it detracted from the performance or anything. I do worry about his voice a little, though. I hope he's babying it and taking good care of it. He should really take a long break and not sing or talk much but I don't see either of those happening
biggrin.gif
I wonder what his voice will be like at 50--it might not be that good any more, unfortunately. Sting always amazes me, he is 50 and listen to his voice...

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

How dare us for noticing that if Bono doesn't take it easy, he could lose his voice completely?

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Obviously you people are totally wrong to even suggest that there is anything remotely wrong with Bono's voice! How dare you?

Originally posted by senrab:
How dare us for noticing that if Bono doesn't take it easy, he could lose his voice completely?

Don't get upset, senrab - Skeek was completely joking there. He just forgot to add the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags on.

Originally posted by Danospano:
Concerning the Super Bowl performance, I thought "Beautiful Day" went well. MLK started off with Bono's voice cracking and Edge not being able to hear through his ear-piece, in effect, screwing up what could have been an emotional interlude between BD and Streets. When Bono did his shouting/yell during the beginning of Streets, the whole show jumped to a whole new level. All of a sudden, I completely forgot about the MLK mishap and reveled in awe. When the names of the 9/11 casualties started scrolling against the backdrop, I knew that this would be a historical moment for both music fans, as well as football fans.

Bono's voice is like his idol's voice. Frank Sinatra began his career as a tenor and by the age of 40 had seen it turn into a barritone. As long as Bono accepts the transition and doesn't try to always hit notes that are no longer in his range, he will woo the crowd and fans with his image and showmanship. Bob Dylan NEVER had a voice. David Bowie hasn't had a high voice since the late 1980's. Bono has held up nicely, and will sing or at least attempt to sing until the day he dies. That's what he does. It's his love and profession, so I can assure you that no matter how much criticism we lay upon him, he will walk on...
smile.gif

I think his voice problems have a lot to do with if he's been hitting the ciggies and if he's gotten enough sleep. I think he had been fudging on both a couple days before that game. The Time article suggested that he's still sneaking smokes. The alcohol is hell on the vocal chords as well. I'm not trying to make any moral judgements. But, the facts are that these things effect his voice in a big way and he knows it. When I saw him in concert he sounded very good. Then again it was in Salt Lake and he had two days rest before and the press had not reported any major outings in the couple of weeks before that date.

I think he just talked himself out at the WEF. He'll be okay.

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
I wonder what his voice will be like at 50--it might not be that good any more, unfortunately. Sting always amazes me, he is 50 and listen to his voice...

Well, Sting never had much of a voice to begin with, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I love his voice but it just doesn't compare to the full blown wailing that Bono can produce on a good night. I think Bono's range is wider while Sting's singing is more monotone. Also, Sting hasn't been playing stadium shows for the past twenty years.

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

Actually he sounded okay to me. Pretty much the way he's been sounding during the tour, and a whole lot better than he did during all the TV performances before the tour. I think the roughness is just more noticable on TV. I just wish they'd stop doing Beautiful Day on TV though. It's the one song on the the album that he just can't do well live. At least they'll do something else for the Grammy's

Back
Top Bottom