Stuck vs. Walk On? Hmmm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Now, maybe this is just me. But I LOVE Walk On. In fact, I personally think it's one of U2's best songs. It's emotional, I love the lyrics. The music and arrangement is great. Even the video rocks.

Then there's Stuck in a Moment. Which is up there all right, it's emotional, heartfelt, etc.

But something about Walk On that, at least for me, makes it so much better. Yet, Stuck is still nominated for song of the year? I'm kind of surprised about this. I felt Walk On was a better song, and would have a better shot at winning.

So why was Stuck nominated? Does it have more North American appeal (ie. the football video?) Is it more well known? Does anyone else feel the same way?

------------------
*Never is a promise and you can't afford to lie...*

there is no excuse for it, "Walk On" is one of U2's greatest accomplishments, probably their best song since Achtung Baby (not the song, the album), it's just one of those songs that makes you pump your fist and say, "I am Spartacus!!!! Now get your stinking hands off me you damn dirty ape." (there are any number of scenarios here, I just chose one that everyone can relate to

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
...it's just one of those songs that makes you pump your fist and say, "I am Spartacus!!!! Now get your stinking hands off me you damn dirty ape."

That was the EXACT reaction I had when I first heard it!!

I'm really kidding.
biggrin.gif

Makes me wonder....was that REALLY your reaction Wanderer? Makes me worried...

I actually enjoy "Stuck in a Moment..." more than "Walk On". I will agree that they are both great tunes, but "stuck" just has a more emotional quality to me. Personally, when I hear "walk on" I hear an extension of "one" (remember when Bono sang a snippet from "walk on" at the end of "one" at the Irving Plaza show?). Just my opinion.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Both are awesome songs, but Walk On is a little better. Both awesome live songs (listen to Irving Plaza for Stuck - yes - amazing) and to any Elevation show for Walk On. Walk On has a strong message and its just so right. IMO it's a better song, but both are GREAT songs that can take you to that "other place".

I prefer Walk on- the American video for Stuck is in my opinion the worst video they have ever done- it is so corny!!! the one we got was a lot better- the Gridiron one just dosnt go along with the song I think- where as the Walk On one in Brasil looks great- nice and bright and the song is just great
smile.gif

I prefer Walk On, because there is a great hope in it. Stuck is great, but doesn't have that same optimism. I think because the song is about suicide kinda depresses me. Bono said it (Stuck) was the conversation he never got to have with Hutchense (sp?), and it's really very sad.

------------------
Daisy

and you become the monster
so the monster will not break you

Ooh, a tough choice... I'd go with Walk On, eventually, if only for that short Edge solo in the beginning, which for me is one of the most joyful and uplifting moments in music, and the hallelujahs in the live versions.

I prefer Walk On. When I bought ATYCLB, I preferred Walk On to Stuck. When I heard it live, my opinion was reinforced. I find Walk On to be more emotional, and I find the live version of Walk on to be much greater than the live version of Stuck.
smile.gif

Walk On is one of U2's greatest songs ever--and I couldn't believe how it was EVEN BETTER in concert than on the album. (At least when you were right there at the concert.) But I love Stuck too. It took a little longer, but I love it.

Hate the North American Stuck video, though! I never saw more than a clip of the original vid.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

The Grammy is a poll of 13,000 musicians, engineers, producers, artist, etc involved in making music. Everyone obviously votes in the top Categories of Song Of The Year, Record Of The Year, Album Of The Year, and Best New Artist Of The Year.
Somehow, after all 13,000 votes were counted, Stuck In Moment was one of the top 5 vote getters in the Song Of The Year category but Walk On failed to make the top 5. Walk On did make the top 5 in Record Of The Year but Stuck... failed to recieve enough votes in this category. The reason, no one really knows, its just how the voting turned out. It was equally possible that both songs could have been nominated in each catagory. That of course would have split the vote on Grammy night preventing any chance of a win.
But Record Of The Year is a great honor and Walk On was nominated for it.

WALK ON!!! Actually, I was never too crazy about "Stuck". I always found it a little boring. *ducks behind computer screen*.

But I think the reason why I love Walk On so much is because of the way they played it on the first leg of the tour. When they would scroll the "all that you fashion, all that you make, etc. etc." into the audience it gave me MAJOR goosebumps and made me totally love the song even more.

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

Walk On.

Funny, because I didn't like the song very much at first. But then again, it took me months to like Stuck In A Moment. But now I love Stuck
biggrin.gif
And I have to agree, I love the live version of Walk On.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Walk On-To me, it is U2's "One" on the album. Great lyric & great vocal from Bono.

As far as Stuck goes, I didn't really care for it when I first heard it, it sounded sort of contrived to me. But my mind has changed. I now love it. Still, I like Walk On better...but I like BD the best!

Well i prefer Stuck...

take that!
wink.gif

I don't know, Stuck was my favorite even when the clips were around (right up there with In a little while), and it's just slightly better than Walk on for me. Don't ask me why, because i can't explain it to you rationally.

Still, both are among U2's best songs ever IMO.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-25-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom