Stuck in a Moment -- The US video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
Is fucking great!!!!

I just watched this on U2.com for the first time. It is so funny!!!! And all the inside humour!!!! One of the best U2 videos, IMO.

------------------
You Just Can't Get Enough Of That Lovey Dovey Stuff...

LOL!!!!
Sorry, I just love the irony of the thumbs up with the negative response...hehe
smile.gif

I love it just for seeing Larry stand up and cheer each time Hewson misses the field goal...

Great stuff.

I think the video is good in and of itself, but when such a silly, lighthearted (almost stupid) throwaway clip is set to such a deep, relevant, moving song.. I have to disapprove.

The stadium scenes (without the band) were filmed at the Astrodome in Houston.
biggrin.gif

------------------
VIVA LAS VEGAS!

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS [No thanks to Propaganda - BLAH!]

Thanks for spending your hard earned cash on a rock show. ~ Bono, Houston, 4-2-01

I kind of like the video myself. I don't think it's that light-hearted. If I remember corectly the video is about this kicker who missed the field goal to win the big game and he keeps re-living the moment over and over, stuck in that moment. At the end, as an old man(dressed as a postal worker-very ironic) makes the field goal and walks off the field as Bono sings "it's just a moment, this time will pass." I imagine that this man carried this failure around with him throughout his life. He comes back to same scene years later and proves to himself that he could make that kick. And when he does his burden is lifted.

U2ME3.. the story is itself not lighthearted, but the way the video is shot definately is.. I mean the pink rabbit? the YOU SUCK in the audience etc.

The first video was much, much better than this "let's make a video that so obviously and deliberately caters to the MTV crowd that we should be ashamed" result, that, what a surprise, is actually getting decent airplay on MTV and VH1 (I really hope that's not what a good group has to do to get airplay these days...).

Ok, ok, it's not all that bad, but the tone of the video just doesn't fit the song. First off, a guy misses a field goal - not exactly a traumatic life event (or it shouldn't be, anyway). It just seems to make light of the song subject. Hmmm...considering suicide compared to missing a field goal. That's a bit of a stretch. The first video was simple, artistic, and much more moving than this overproduced, over the top number.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
U2ME3.. the story is itself not lighthearted, but the way the video is shot definately is.. I mean the pink rabbit? the YOU SUCK in the audience etc.

SkeeK-
I see your point. I didn't quite understand the pink rabbit but thought the YOU SUCK was appropriate for the video.

-ME

------------------
I didn't take no shortcuts
I spent the money that I saved up
Oh, Momma running out of luck
Like my sister, don't give a fuck

It was appropriate for the situation, but I must say that seeing something like that makes it impossible to take the video seriously. that is if we were still taking it seriously after the lame (in my opinion) degradation of UF and SBS.

you're right. who am i trying to kid? i was trying to play devil's advocate. but the truth is i think they could of developed a better product for the video.

-me

Edge and Larry are both very funny in this video, but overall I dislike it quite strongly. It totally trivializes the song. It is so gimmicky and it doesn't work. The Elevation vid was gimmicky too, I mean, it was a Tomb Raider ad...but it worked. I love that video. It suits the song. The Stuck video does not. I still haven't seen the original, except a little clip. It looked better--I would love to see the whole thing. Where can I find it on the Net??

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
I still haven't seen the original, except a little clip. It looked better--I would love to see the whole thing. Where can I find it on the Net??

You should be able to find it on Morpheus or Kazaa.

My thought is there are three ways to go with a serious song like Stuck:

Serious.
Straight-forward.
Light-hearted.

Serious: anyone remember Creed's "With Arms Wide Open"? It was crap.

(Granted, for every 10 "With Arms Wide Open" there's an "Everybody Hurts", but I don't think such a video was possible for Stuck. What would you have preferred? Pictures of Hutchence? Bono in tears? It would have been WAAAAAY too much.)

Straight forward, i.e., four guys with their insturments: it would have never gotten noticed.

Light-hearted: I think it works. It helps get airplay, and it lets the seriousness of the song sneak up on non-fans.

Actually, I also think they ought to do something with the acoustic version of Stuck -- now that the song is better known to the mainstream public, a straight-forward, four guys and their instruments video for the acoustic version of Stuck would be perfect.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, and -- above all things -- love.

I don't care for this video much and feel embarrassed that this song is associated with it sometimes.

Joseph Khan (sp?) has directed two straight U2 videos that looked high budgeted yet were awful. I don't want to bash him too much b/c there are moments in each video (Elevation and Stuck) that are great such as the exploding car with Bono in the center of the flying debris and the band member shots/ drama shots with the football players in "Stuck" but those videos overall were filled with cheese mixed in with the ridiculous. If I want to see light hearted, go with Spike Jonze. At least his videos don't remind me of glam rock. I mean they are U2. U2 can't get Spike to direct?

Another thing, Khan's over the top style is cool with Moby's "South Side" and Sisqo's "Thong Song" but just doesn't fit ATYCLB songs or the songs he's done so far. I feel like he would have fit better during the "Achtung" days of music. He just isn't doing it with these songs. Bono and company should hold off from making any more videos with him IMO.

It is a little frustrating to see U2 make "dodgey" videos when groups like Coldplay, Radiohead, Weezer, Outkast, REM, and the Pumpkins are able to make groundbreaking/ visually interesting videos. Stuck and Elevation look campy and have the aura of "sell outs."

The new Coldplay video is awesome. I wish U2 would do something as interesting as that.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

the guy who plays paul hewson in the video stars on the tv show rosewell.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I love Edge and Larry in the video, but I just want to smack Bono! Too melodramatic for me!!!!!!!!

------------------
Ready for the Laughing Gas

I'm just happy to see that I'm not the only one who hates that video
smile.gif
The in-jokes are cute but would have been much better with a more appropriate song. When I saw it with some folks who aren't particularly big U2 fans (they like the music okay, but that's about it) the reaction was "how embarrassing!" They thought everyone in the band but Adam came off as looking really dorky.

Originally posted by Diemen:
Ok, ok, it's not all that bad, but the tone of the video just doesn't fit the song. First off, a guy misses a field goal - not exactly a traumatic life event (or it shouldn't be, anyway). It just seems to make light of the song subject. Hmmm...considering suicide compared to missing a field goal. That's a bit of a stretch. The first video was simple, artistic, and much more moving than this overproduced, over the top number.

Couldn't agree more. The whole thing seems totally out of context for me, something sounds false. The first video is not a masterpiece but it works better to convey the message of the song, the last image when Edge holds Bono's hand is much more meaningful to me than the entire second video.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

I think Adam Sandler's "The Lonesome Kicker" video was funnier and more entertaining than "Stuck." Sure, the inside jokes are cute, but to the insider only. An outsider who isn't a super fan would think this is cheesey and too over the top. I mean I could see the Tomb Raider association b/c U2 has used her in concerts (Elevation video) and have been rumored to have the played the games, but are they even appreciative football?

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

I love how Edgey falls in Elevation AND Stuck.
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!
"We got the soul - we got the honey"-Bush

TURN EACH SONG INTO A PRAYER

Originally posted by Diemen:
Ok, ok, it's not all that bad, but the tone of the video just doesn't fit the song. First off, a guy misses a field goal - not exactly a traumatic life event (or it shouldn't be, anyway). It just seems to make light of the song subject. Hmmm...considering suicide compared to missing a field goal. That's a bit of a stretch.

You are obviously not a Buffalo Bills fan.

I greatly enjoy this video. Everyone has talked about how funny Edge and Larry are, but I think Adam's complete lack of interest in the game is hilarious. He's just sitting back, reading his paper in the midst of this roaring crowd.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Back
Top Bottom