"Streets" Ranked 28 on RollingStones "100 Greatest Guitar Songs"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the Top 30 for easy reading:

1. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
2. Purple Haze - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3. Crossroads - Cream
4. You Really Got Me - The Kinks
5. Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones
6. Eruption - Van Halen
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
8. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
9. Statesboro Blues - The Allman Brothers Band
10. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
11. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
12. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
13. Layla - Derek and the Dominos
14. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
15. My Generation - The Who
16. Cowgirl in the Sand - Neil Young with Crazy Horse
17. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
18. Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
19. Purple Rain - Prince and the Revolution
20. People Get Ready - The Impressions
21. Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
22. A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
23. Over Under Sideways Down - The Yardbirds
24. Killing In The Name - Rage Against The Machine
25. Can't You Hear Me Knocking - The Rolling Stones
26. How Blue Can You Get - B.B. King
27. Look Over Yonders Wall - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
28. Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
29. Back In Black - AC/DC
30. (We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets

Lots of great picks but I'm not sure about that order. Nirvana and Jack White before U2, really? And if I were making such a list, I wouldn't repeat artists for a while at least.

Lots of great picks but I'm not sure about that order. Nirvana and Jack White before U2, really? And if I were making such a list, I wouldn't repeat artists for a while at least.

Agreeed...

Jack White is really great, but better than Edge's work on "Streets"...I DO NOT think so

:grumpy:

I'd put "The Fly" over many of the songs listed even.....Streets...think about it....the riff and the solo are killer...honorable mention would be Discotheque..another killer riff

Smells Like Teen Spirit at number ten? Really? :rolleyes: It shouldn't even be in the top fifty.

I don't think there's a U2 song that deserves to be near the top 50. Maybe top 100.

They're just not an impressive guitar song band. Edge is subtle, which isn't what this list is about.

I don't think there's a U2 song that deserves to be near the top 50. Maybe top 100.

They're just not an impressive guitar song band. Edge is subtle, which isn't what this list is about.

Really?

Could care less about the list thing, but U2 not a guitar song band?

Really?

Could care less about the list thing, but U2 not a guitar song band?

Not in the sense they usually use it, which is what surprises me about Streets appearing here.

Guitar songs usually are taken to mean songs with really over-done lead guitar parts with solos and mad riffs. Usually, U2, while heavily based around the guitar, is much more melodic and not your typical lead guitar style. Hence, not a guitar song band.

Not in the sense they usually use it, which is what surprises me about Streets appearing here.

Guitar songs usually are taken to mean songs with really over-done lead guitar parts with solos and mad riffs. Usually, U2, while heavily based around the guitar, is much more melodic and not your typical lead guitar style. Hence, not a guitar song band.

It shouldn't really be that surprising that a U2 song showed up here. While Edge is generally not included alongside the shredders of old, he's very much respected and there should be one token U2 song to shake things up a bit.

I'm a bit surprised, however, that it's Streets that was chosen. I suppose it's logical enough, but he's done better.

Kurt's dead and that band blew hair metal off the charts. And that's the song that did it. That's WTF.

If you weren't over 18 or 19 in 1991, you won't understand people's attachment.

That's a very limited view of "guitar song band."

Look at that list again. You definition does not apply.

It shouldn't really be that surprising that a U2 song showed up here. While Edge is generally not included alongside the shredders of old, he's very much respected and there should be one token U2 song to shake things up a bit.

I'm a bit surprised, however, that it's Streets that was chosen. I suppose it's logical enough, but he's done better.

Tend to agree on both. I guess I'm more trying to say: I wouldn't have been surprised at all if U2 didn't show up on that list, and the fact that they did, that high, with something like Streets, did surprise me. Especially looking at the other kinds of songs around it on that list.

Kurt's dead and that band blew hair metal off the charts. And that's the song that did it. That's WTF.

Well, obviously you can't overrate influence, I just meant that I don't care for the band much, nor do I understand what all the fuss is about. Particularly that one song.

In Utero > Nevermind IMO. But then again, I prefer Vitalogy to Ten, so my tastes are weird.

Tend to agree on both. I guess I'm more trying to say: I wouldn't have been surprised at all if U2 didn't show up on that list, and the fact that they did, that high, with something like Streets, did surprise me. Especially looking at the other kinds of songs around it on that list.

Oh, sure, I wouldn't have been surprised either. But I would have been slightly miffed. Edge's guitar sound was one of the great musical innovations of the past 25 years. Its influence was apparently widespread, as it has colored the musical landscape, particularly in British rock, over the past 5 years or so.

Me? I would've picked the Fly or Bullet, but I guess RS just wanted something that represented his tone properly to fill the U2 slot.

Not a Nirvana fan but I agree. I remember the day, where I was at, what I was doing and the time of day I first heard those chords and saw the video on MTV. that song started a revolution. Wheather you like them or not.

Yep. When Nirvana came along rock was dead. Dead. I think other bands were just as responsible for rock's revival, but Kurt and Nirvana were the face of it.

The thing that gets me about Nirvana is the lack of respect to Soundgarden & Pearl Jam. Both those bands came out of the area & time, and they don’t get the same respect as Nirvana gets in every list we see now. Nirvana was a good band, but I don’t see them as great as writers seem to elevate them.

Discotheque is a damn fine guitar song. :rockon:

Nirvana fair enough, but White Stripes, :scream:, fed up with all this acclaim they're getting.....just ghastly.

Smells Like Teen Spirit at number ten? Really? :rolleyes: It shouldn't even be in the top fifty.

:love:

The need to have a list for the hundred most listed songs of all time... Apparently you can't have a list without fucking Smells Like Teen Spirit being in their somewhere.

You know, I was a teenager at the time when Nirvana was big, I saw them in concert, I had all their albums - I liked them. But over the years I have really failed to see how they have managed to become this respected institution.

Nirvana are The Doors of the 90's, they were talented enough but do not deserve the kind of praise which is heaped upon them.

Back
Top Bottom