Streets on the Joshua Tree tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty72

The Fly
I wasn't lucky enough to see a show on The Joshua Tree Tour, but maybe someone who was could answer my curiosity. When U2 played Streets during a stadium show, did the orange backdrop they used in Rattle And Hum appear? Or was that just a one time thing for the movie? I know they didn't use it inside due to the stage being a 360 one.

The show I saw was an arena show so there was no backdrop. But from some DVD boots (Syracuse 87 and a few others) and from what others have told me. At most stadium shows there was no red back drop. It was simply the spotlights flashing until the lights came up on the crowd. I do think I recall a review though where the red backdrop was used for the Oakland 87 stadium shows? They typically used just the spotlights though, not the lightning flash machines used for the Rattle And Hum Tempe shoot, just the normal white spotlights flashing. I think the red backdrop was a late tour idea. Its suppose to give the effect of a sunset in the desert, obviously.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
Its suppose to give the effect of a sunset in the desert, obviously.
That's so obvious that it's never occurred to me even once.

They use the red backdrop at Dublin, 31 December 1989 ... but that's Lovetown.

I was at both Oakland shows in '87 and think that they did, or it could just be that the red/orange lighting just reminds me of the song that I've adjusted my recollection.

Streets was so powerful and memorable during Elevation that it's hard to remember what it felt like on other tours!

I was at Oakland 11/15/87 too.... and yes I recall the red backdrop and the boys slowly coming onstage and then the bright white intense lights AHHHHH what a night! The night I got hooked on the best band in the world- U2 :)

Back
Top Bottom