Street Mission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvinmarvin

Refugee
I just downloaded a 1978 performance of U2 playing Street Mission on Irish TV. It is a fascinating clip. They look so young. Larry looks like he's 12 years old! At one point he notices the camera pointing at him and he flashes a huge smile across his face - you can tell it's a big buzz for him, and he can't contain his excitement at being on TV. It's weird to see Edge with a full head of hair, and no beard. Bono looks different too, and his singing kind of sucks. Of the three Adam looks most similar to what he did when U2 became famous.

The song is kind of lousy, but the video is priceless. Anyone else seen it?

Oh yeah!... the silver pants one? It's awesome! The song sounds so perfect for the time!

Love it! :wink:

I can't remember but is this the one where Bono moves around like Mick Jagger?

street4.jpg

street3.jpg

street2.jpg

street1.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't realise they were on Irish TV as early as '78.

In those days there was very little rock music on Irish tv. Anyone know what show this was?

March 1978, hmm Larry would only have been 16 I think.

Last edited:
Holdy crap, I've never seen this!! What wee lads they are!

I only have a crap recording of this song. It was played during an interview I taped off the radio quiiiiiiiiite a number of years ago. It was played along with a demo song called "Judith" and another one... I think it was called "Alone in the Light" or something like that. Anyway, I haven't listened to those interview tapes in years, but I do remember some slight nervous giggling from the band after those demo songs were played.

I remember seeing a clip the beginning of it on some "Where Are They Now" show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think as they're getting started, some of the studio audience starts laughing at them?

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The solo is cool except it's maybe a little too long for even my tastes:wink:

adam's_mistress said:
Holdy crap, I've never seen this!! What wee lads they are!

I only have a crap recording of this song. It was played during an interview I taped off the radio quiiiiiiiiite a number of years ago. It was played along with a demo song called "Judith" and another one... I think it was called "Alone in the Light" or something like that. Anyway, I haven't listened to those interview tapes in years, but I do remember some slight nervous giggling from the band after those demo songs were played.
would be interesting to hear those!

discothequeLP said:
here's the studio recording of Street Mission. WAY better than the youngline video, cool song!

http://s21.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=35G11ZVWRR9FU0A3PL8D9F4EGN

Thanks! It is better than the youngline video. From this recording it is clear that: (1) Bono still hasn't found his voice, (2) Larry at this point was the weakest link in the band (3) Edge CAN play generic blues-based solos, but he instead chose to develop his own ynique style.

I have both, that video and studio version song, it's one of my favorite early tracks :up:

starvinmarvin said:

Thanks! It is better than the youngline video. From this recording it is clear that: (1) Bono still hasn't found his voice, (2) Larry at this point was the weakest link in the band (3) Edge CAN play generic blues-based solos, but he instead chose to develop his own ynique style.

Edge could have been Slash, I'm thankful in retrospect:wink:

I'd seen this once on some Irish TV program that was a look back at U2's career. I think it came out around the time of PopMart....?

Where can the video be downloaded?

Another great young'ns video, though not quite so young, is the "I Will Follow" video. They're all pretty little & Bono bounces around like he's singing "Let's Get Physical!"

It's amazing to think U2 were about my age back then... :huh: the smile on Larry's face is the best thing about the video. and seeing Edge totally rock out - he could do awesome solos like that at age 17 or whatever! but I'm glad he chose his own style though when he does do his solos they rock hard :rockon:

Bono is a million times sexier now than he was then. And of course his voice is eons better, but it's interesting to hear that Verlaine-esque style of singing. They were very Television back then.

Back
Top Bottom