Stolen CD - WHERE AND WHY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artdirector

Refugee
Just wanted to put a question out there concerning the Stolen CD reported last month. If it was stolen Where is it and Why has the person not released it? Was the CD really stolen by the Spaniards and rerecorded to add ambient sound of waves and beach to avoid suspicion?

With Vertigo out now on radio something suspect has also been brought to my attention: Australia Nova had the clip before anyone else. How? They claimed to have grabbed it from the net. Publicity stunt or truth? Could they have gotten it from the person who stole the CD from the U2?

A lot of questions? What do you gays and gals think?

Attachments

• stolencd.jpg
    stolencd.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 48
But thats what was said about the Achtung Sessions so people wouldn't start looking for them and look what happended? Bootlegs off the wazoo..

re-recorded to add ambient sounds of beach and waves?!
That's a great conspiracy theory!

I'm guessing like HelloAngel says it was just really misplaced/lost or it was someone without distribution goals who swiped it, just a souvenir-grabber, low-integrity as that is...

I have to say I'm so glad it didn't mess up their release, that would have really sucked!

cheers...

I didn't get that impression that it was misplaced. I thought the French Police was involved and didn't Bono make a statement that if the CD did appear he was going to put the entire album on i-tunes? Doesn't sound like a misplaced item to me.

The whole thing with the missing CD is suspicious (spelling??). How could it not be leaked unless they bought off the person they suspected of stealing it. I thought it sounded like a stunt to hype up the CD but at the same time why would they need to do that?
Then the Edge appears on interference. Why now? Why for this album and not before for ATYCLB or other albums or other songs? U2 is so big they don't need stunts like this but they just don't add up.
I guess it is a secret you tell another person but that person isn't us.

You know whats weird is what if the person who stole it is a member of the forums. Everyday he or she looks at what we say and talks among us always listening to the CD as they do so. I believe the people who took the CD are true fans. Why do I think that? For one they didn't want to ruin the release of the album and screw U2 over by putting it on the net. But they did decide to release Vertigo to a Radio Station one day prior to the official releaseof the single. Remember ATYCLB was released on the web one or two weeks prior to its Official Release. So I believe the album these people stole will probably hit the web one week before its release just like the last album. The band didn't seem to mind last time, ATYCLB was released on the day it was suppose to and fans got to hear a new album before anyone else.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I believe that it was Henry Rollins on the grassy knoll that both stole the CD and shot JFK... with the help of a time traveling DeLorean of course...

To be honest myf friends, I never believed that old story about New album´s stolen :madspit: :censored: :mad:

So many bands have used that trick before that I don´t buy that story anymore

ask Edge how they came up with the plan to make up the story of the missing CD to build up hype for the album because its a brilliant marketing strategy :wink:

i reckon it was just an opportunist and a fan.

if i had nicked it (which for the record i didnt) theres no way i have put it on the net.
nah, it would be sitting at home maybe framed in a glass case or something to be stared at forever while a copy on my pc played all the time.
i might let a few trusty friends in on it and let them hear a bit but theres no ways in hell i'd let anyone else have it a) because i woudlnt want to stuff up the realease for my favourite band and b) cause then it wouldnt be special to me!

is that selfish or logical or what? does anyone agree?

I wouldn't have put it on the internet either but I might have quoted lyrics. However, if I was that close to them to actually get the CD, I would have opted to get a picture and an autograph and let them keep their CD.

Truthfully, I don't think I would have stolen the demo disc either, lol. And yet, I would happily download them. I realize there is some sort of warped dichotomy in these two actions, but, eh... I'm a human being with both integrity and desire.

If my job is to set up the lights, stealing a demo disc is not why I am there. However, if my job is to be a janitor, and I see something on the ground, it's my job to pick it up. Naturally, I would return the disc, and I hope that whomever did take the disc will eventually do the right thing, even if it's been months now.

This is where it gets pretty wierd. If I took it I would not have uploaded it to the web either but the lyrics I would have placed on the web. I'm just wondering if the Spaniards are in on this stolen CD thing. I don't think U2 would resort to fabricating a story to build up the hype.. They don't need it. The fact that an album is set to release is hype enough.

What if I said I'm the one who nicked it? Whats the first reaction you would have? Shit let me e-mail him and get it or how did you do it etc. For the record I have a feeling we are going to see HTDAAB out one week before it release.

I have a feeling it was stolen. If you remember, only 20 people had access to the CD to steal it, so it would be unwise to release it. So, IMO, there are two possible outcomes--it is either the same as the final version and will never see the light of day (or if it does it will be right around 11/23 or after and make no difference), or it is different from the final album and will probably be released on the net sometime after the album comes out.

If it was true that the cd was stolen, the person that did it would be in big troubles if that album goes to the net, they could find the way to get that person (just a thougth) :huh:

i think it was all a publicity stunt. i think the biggest clue is in the spaniards on the beach "pirated" version of Vertigo which i finally listened to a few days ago (AFTER hearing the full radio version that was released last week). it's just too perfect! it sounds staged to me .. produced even, lol. i mean, you have the gentle sound of waves, the ambient sound of crickets, and then a few spaniards making hushed comments about things like the quality of the song (esta bien, no?) and even joking about PIRACY (es de piratas esto, no?) -- pirates and beaches??..lol! .. all with very little unnecessary noise, just the right mix of sounds to make it all seem 'real' - even the song itself is coming in at just the right level in the background, and surprisingly clear. if it WAS all a stunt, i have to say i am really impressed. it tells me these guys have a great sense of humor and why not have a little fun with the media and their fans....? after all, it did no harm to anyone, only stirred up the anticipation and made our mouths water even more for the upcoming album.

Back
Top Bottom