Still tink 'Wanderer' shouldve been taken off Zooropa.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm intrigued that you find the Wanderer a cheery song. To me it's heavy - you've got this el-cheapo tinny tune (which, fair enough, probably is a bit light) behind Johnny Cash singing about walking out on his home life to find God or something...

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."

no Kieran, not the words the beat is a little upbeat..............maybe its a mistake postin this...
frown.gif

Originally posted by mad1:
no Kieran, not the words the beat is a little upbeat..............maybe its a mistake postin this...
frown.gif

No, it's not a mistake. I'm always up for a good debate. It'd be pretty boring if everybody agreed all the time.

I like having "The Wanderer" on the album...it is so contrasting to the other tracks...it sticks out because of Cash's voice. I so think it would fit better with the rest of the album if Bono had done the vocals.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

The Wanderer has always been my fav song on Zooropa so I wouldn't touch it

I always thought "Some things are better ..." to be the most cheerfull song on Zooropa (at least musically)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

"The Wanderer" is a very fitting closing song to the album. We start off in this spacey world with Zooropa the song and after our journey we come home to the Wanderer. The lyrics are down to earth and the sound is somewhat mysterious. But Johnny Cash's voice is what really makes the song what it is. Bono may have wrote those words, but I think Cash is the only guy who could get away with singing them. Plus he's super old and decrepid. Give the guy the damn mic.
tongue.gif

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Originally posted by Salome:
The Wanderer has always been my fav song on Zooropa so I wouldn't touch it

I always thought "Some things are better ..." to be the most cheerfull song on Zooropa (at least musically)

Yeah, Some Days... is a bit cheap and cheerful. But if you're looking for good cheer, you can't go past that cowbell beat in Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car. I could listen to that all day long...

------------------
"I may go crazy
before that mansion on the hill
but my heart keeps beating faster
and my feet can't keep still..."

Originally posted by mad1:
OK salome, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease erase this thread asap....

definately

I'll assume that was in jest. Why do you always want your threads shut down? It's a damn good idea for a thread, IMO.

no babygrace, I erased my opinion, everyone else here is far more intelligent than me, I feel I should never talk anymore about U2 music.......
frown.gif

no that not cause me feel sorry for me, cause me dont, me sayin that cause it true

oh maddie, just stop that silliness!
smile.gif
No one's opinion is "smarter" than anyone elses! Music is all about taste and people's tastes are different! Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. There are plenty of other people that don't like The Wanderer as well, but even if you were the only one, that wouldn't matter. It's your opinion!

Maddie, dont talk yourself down like that. Who says you have to be some super intelligent U2 fanatic to discuss their music? Everyone has their own opinion and everyone is entitled to that, so please dont post threads then tell us to erase them!! Think hard before you post, that way you can be sure you really want to post it.

And the Wanderer really had to grow on me, but I could do with or without it, either way.
tongue.gif

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

I have got nothing intelligent to say and I keep posting like a mad man

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

tis ok Sicy, I know what I need to do, I need to go away for a fortnight, and give all head peace.......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

say yes u agree, make me do that,,,,,,,,,,,,
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

sicy by the way the drawings........100% dead CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uhm what about the song "Babyface" that song is super cheerful and almost borderlines cheesy.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
uhm what about the song "Babyface" that song is super cheerful and almost borderlines cheesy.

Babyface is an excellent example of U2 fucking up the mainstream, imho. The song *sounds* cheery on the surface, but the little chiming noises sound slightly out of tune and suggest that all is not well in this babydoll world. If anything, it sounds menacing. The lyrics flirt with the idea of a society so obsessed with beauty and with media that they have turned voyeuristic. The song is completely tongue in cheek. I think it's an under-rated bit of intelligent work on U2's part.

*still would not change a note on Zooropa*

biggrin.gif

I just read this morning that an upcoming release of twenty "essential" Johnny Cash recordings will include the Wanderer. How great is that? We're talking all his classics like I Walk The Line, A Boy Named Sue, his duet with Dylan on Girl From the North Country...and The Wanderer!! The man has released more than thirty albums featuring hundreds of songs. He's had mountains of hits on the country charts and he still chooses The Wanderer as one of his essential songs. How cool

MAP

That song creeps me out, both in its lyrics and Johnny Cash's inimitable voice. Perhaps that's what they were driving at?

Or they can keep the song, and just have Bono sing it like in the original plan...

it does rather stick out on the album...

I'm probably the only one here that thinks this, but The Wanderer is my favorite U2 song. Actually, it's one of my favorite songs period. And I have a crapload of all different kinds of music in my collection not counting U2 stuff.
wink.gif
I like the beat, I like the sonic atmosphere, I like the Eno-esque synthesized effects. In form it's not a typical U2 song, namely because Johnny Cash sings on it, but also because it doesn't have crashing drums and reverberating guitarlines the define a lot of U2 songs.

To me it's the lyrics, that's where it all drives home to me. The passion is there, it kind of rings the same theme as Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For in some ways. The protagonist is searching, he has an idea of what he wants, but it's the wandering journey he must take to bring him to his own salvation. I think anyone can relate to this song - even a nonU2 fan. True the song is in sound a departure for U2 but in essence it *is* U2. Me dig it.

OK enough of that.

I would like to hear a good recording of Bono singing it though, just to how he can carry the weight of the song.

I think The Wanderer is a much-misunderstood song. Sure it's spiritual, but this is a very different man from the one in Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For:

I went out riding
with the Bible and a gun...

Jesus don't you wait up
Jesus I'll be home soon
Yeah I went out for the paper
Told her I'd be back by noon...

IMO Johnny Cash, with his slightly wacked-out, self-righteous, Old Testament persona, is perfect for the song. It's the flip-side of Zooropa - a man who has found what he's looking for, and is all the more dangerous for that.

------------------
"I was in need of help
Heading to black out
'Til someone told me 'run on in honey
Before somebody blows your goddam' brains out'
You shop-lifted as a child
I had a model's smile
You carried all my hopes
Until something broke inside..."

Back
Top Bottom