Still better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come on man, Popmart was the worst tour they ever did. Even they knew this...even in the final shows Bono would openly question to the crowd that he wasn't sure what in the world they were doing.

ZooTV > Lovetown > Vertigo > Elevation > Joshua Tree > Popmart

I can't comment on the earlier tours...didn't go to them.

I wouldn't say Popmart was the worst. I think U2 did some of their best shows after the 1st leg. That first leg was pretty rough. I think their greatest tour though is ZooTV, but Vertigo is just lifting off and its had some great reviews. I'll see the show this weekend then will be able to judge.

Popmart was by far the worst tour they ever did.

Who wants to see Bono with the gold outfit and painted white face acting the fool?

It was so not about the music at those shows and the gimmicks they tried to pull did nothing but dampen the energy that's usually at a U2 show.

And for all those Popmart is the best people, even the band has come out and admitted how "silly" it all was.

Sorry but I don't pay to see a U2 show for the silliness and now that the theme at the shows is once again about the music I think it's clear as day what a waste of this great band in it's prime the popmart "experiment" all was.

Who wants to see Bono with the gold outfit and painted white face acting the fool?

Everyone that went to ZOO TV! :eyebrow:

I feckin' :heart: all the tours I've seen and that includes Pop.

I'll go ahead and say it: Worst Post Ever.

MacPhisto is held in very high regard around here. Maybe we should start another thread titled Who Hates MacPhisto?. There might be a total of about 2 people that would actually say they didn't like him. The speech given in Dublin made my jaw drop at the amazing talent that Bono has. Not enough people read C.S. Lewis, because they would understand the brillance of the MacPhisto character if they did.

2Hearts said:

I'll go ahead and say it: Worst Post Ever.

MacPhisto is held in very high regard around here. Maybe we should start another thread titled Who Hates MacPhisto?. There might be a total of about 2 people that would actually say they didn't like him. The speech given in Dublin made my jaw drop at the amazing talent that Bono has. Not enough people read C.S. Lewis, because they would understand the brillance of the MacPhisto character if they did.

Are you kidding me?

The whole thing was a joke, a gimmick and if you read up many inetrviews have gone on to state that even the band members knew just how "silly" the whole thing was.

People go to see U2 for one thing...the music...that's what it's all about and that's what drive their success and their live performances and POP was just too much gimmick, too much nonsense that it totally took away from the music.

The whole lemon and corny ass oufits and Bono's alter ego's was just as cheesey as it gets and while a guy like you may be into stuff like that it's obvious by the response to the tour that U2's fans were turned off bigtime by it for the most part and that is why you saw U2 run away from the whole nonsense and get back to just being the best rock band as oppossed to some traveling circus.

Just to state the obvious, Macphisto was Zoo-TV era, not Pop Mart. Zoo TV seems to be the favorite tour among U2 diehards as well as casual fans. I myself like every era of the band. I absolutely love Pop, ATYCLB, R&H, Zooropa, HTDAAB, October, etc. You get the point.

Ok, you've sparked my curiousity. I'll start a Macphisto thread to find out the opinions of other fans.

I liked Popmart, probably because it was U2, but among the many shows I have seen it couldn't compare to Vertigo, Elevation, or ZooTV.

And don't forget how amazing the Lovetown tour was!!!!:drool:

JR#9, you might want to go over to the Macphisto thread on Everything You Know is Wrong and cast your vote!

Popmart was my first U2 gig - it was great. Loved the Video Screen. The lemon thing was amazing, and the effect it had when it became a mirrorball druing Discotheque and during Velvet dress made a large stadium appear intimate. This was great.

And - the Edge was great during the Karaoke. Great stuff. it was ahead of its time.

JR#9 said:
People go to see U2 for one thing...the music...that's what it's all about and that's what drive their success and their live performances and POP was just too much gimmick, too much nonsense that it totally took away from the music.

I have to comment on this. I think there is a lot more people go to U2 shows for than the music. U2 is not the greatest band in the world musically, no where near. They are not the greatest songwriters in the world, no where near. They are the greatest lives rock show in the world however.

People go to see U2 because they want to see Bono. They want to see the spectacularness of it. They want to see what all the hype is about. They want to be part of a community. They want that religious-type blown away concert experience. All of these things add to and enhance the central character which is the music.

If it was ONLY about the music, you wouldn't hear complaints about Bono not running around the ellipse, or spending his whole night out there. You wouldn't hear how incredible the video sequences are, Vertigo (and I say most tours these days on the scale of this one) are spectacular multimedia events that have so much more in addition to the music to offer.

I refuse to believe that U2 on a completely bare stage, with the house lights up, no video, no extreme amplification, no vocal effects, no costumes, no bono-antics, no crowd would be all that exciting.

It is a total package.

Back
Top Bottom