Stephen Colbert as Bono...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wait a minute...

Rosebud said:
O dear, I've tried to write an apology letter twice now, but both times when I'm finished, Interference has thrown me off and my post is lost. Sighhh.

Okay, let me summarize:
First, I am PROFOUNDLY sorry for creating such a fuss. Really, I am so sorry for making this into an argument. It was truly not my intention at all.

But honestly, I know it's just comedy, and believe me -- I think this kind of comedy is hilarious!!! I soooooo didn't mean to imply that I think Colbert and Stewart are evil or anything like that. Again, I really am sorry. It didn't come out right at all and I hope you all can understand.

:hug: :heart: :pray: :wave:

wait... YOU're Stephen Colbert? :ohmy:

dr. zooeuss said:

Wow, thanks for sharing all of that. We could start a real discussion of this, if you'd like to, although I think that would fare a better fate in Free Your Mind.

You obviously have some very interesting firsthand experiences with these issues, that most of us here probably do not. Thanks for what you wrote, I'd be interested to hear more.

I'm not sure I agree with all of the associations you've made between various issues, but I agree that corruption is a large, legitimate concern, and has been for many years where third world aid and debt relief are concerned.

To offer you what I do know about the ONE campaign, it promotes democracy and transparency, making them conditions upon which receipt of these breaks and aid depend. In a quick internet search I found a list of nations benefitted by the 2005 G8//IMF//WB decisions to forgive some debts, I found this listing-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavily_Indebted_Poor_Countries

You'll notice Mugabe's Zimbabwe, the example you chose (and a good one), is not on the list.

Yeah big questions that deserve informed discussion.

Your reply reminded me to finally order Bono's book "On The Move", which I've been wanting to read for several months, but was unable to find in the store (it was sold out), so i can discuss this topic in a more informed way. (Thanks!)

If anyone else is interested, there seem to be 72 used copies available-

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...s=aps&field-keywords=on+the+move+bono&x=0&y=0

You can order one and get it shipped to your home for less than $6.

:wink:

I'd love to discuss it further. I can't right now though...I'm actually not even supposed to be using the Internet at this moment, as I have uni exams in less than a week. I clearly have zero willpower. :wink: But yes, I would be more than willing to discuss this further. I usually tend to stay away from FYM, but I'd make an exception for this (last time I was in there, I think Jamila or someone told me I was trying to undermine the South African struggle when I brought up the horrific racially-motivated farm murders in the Highveld. Fun times.)

GibsonGirl said:

I'd love to discuss it further. I can't right now though...I'm actually not even supposed to be using the Internet at this moment, as I have uni exams in less than a week. I clearly have zero willpower. :wink: But yes, I would be more than willing to discuss this further. I usually tend to stay away from FYM, but I'd make an exception for this (last time I was in there, I think Jamila or someone told me I was trying to undermine the South African struggle when I brought up the horrific racially-motivated farm murders in the Highveld. Fun times.)

No problem. I haven't been there much either. Good luck on your exams. (Get to work!) :wink:

Rosebud said:
You've met Stephen??? :ohmy:

Suh-weet!!! That is so awesome - I would sooooo love to be in his audience sometime, but alas I am on the other side of the country. I hope the writers' strike will conclude soon so we can have some new shows. :scream:

Yeah, once at a Breast Cancer Race in Central Park, and then outside his studio...he was just walking in!

Back
Top Bottom