Stephen Baldwin - Bono, shut up and sing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He should meet Bono and have a chance to sit down and actually talk to him.. Before he runs his mouth off about a man whom he doesn't understand.

god this god that , bono this bono that , they both can go to hell for all i care.

especially bono

Galeongirl said:
:yawn: did somebody mention god??

God is a creation of Humans, not the other way around!

question for the believers, if God controls all we do, then why does He make us kill ourselves and let others starve to death? why is there an idiot as George Bush head of America and WHY DO I HAVE FECKIN HARRY POTTER AS PRIME MINISTER?????

Most inappropriate post of the week.

And I somewhat agnostic.

BIO-DOME.jpg

The guy on the right.

Galeongirl said:

question for the believers, if God controls all we do, then why does He make us kill ourselves and let others starve to death? why is there an idiot as George Bush head of America and WHY DO I HAVE FECKIN HARRY POTTER AS PRIME MINISTER?????

Very simply put, without regard for what I personally feel since it's not appropriate for this forum, freedom and free will are not the same thing. There are very clear theological differences and different implications depending on which one you emphasize. You're trying to judge a deeply theological concept based on your secular interpretation of what free will is, so as evident by your post, it's not going to make any sense. If you want serious answers, ask the same question in FYM.

the rockin edge said:

sounds like something that would be on fox...

i think it'll be on after the Romans make the Christians fight lions for their amusement.

But with the GARGOYLESLADY from Trading Spouses.

only on Fox.

Maoilbheannacht said:

So what are doing on a message board for what is essentially a Christian Rock Band? If the mere mention of God causes this reaction for you, I wonder what you do when U2 plays Gloria in concert or ends their shows with 40.

I'm a very committed atheist and my first U2 record was "October". Which compartment would you like to put me in as a U2 fan? :wink:

Galeongirl said:
:yawn: did somebody mention god??

God is a creation of Humans, not the other way around!

:yes:

I understood what you mean Galeongirl.

For the messy word, may be the best God can do, is do nothing at all. :wink:

As for the disasters, on the international law, we call them "God's act". Therefore, technically, if God is out there, please be careful, because once human got you, you'll have to pay a lot of money as compensations. Don't want to see you go broke, really. :wink:

Refering to Stephen Baldwin, he could say/write whatever he want, it's his freedom. And we can ignore him, using our freedom. You just gonna love these guys, they really could do whatever things to make their own profit. It is a strength of survival I suppose?

Last edited:
Maoilbheannacht said:

No, but you do have to respect other peoples beliefs and GG posts did not sound like a person who would enjoy songs about Jesus, God and prayer which happen to be important parts of many U2 songs. There are few bands out there that are more spiritual than U2. Even Adam said that "God was walking through the room" on the Elevation tour.

Of course I do respect other people's beliefs, I really don't care who believes in which god(s) ^^' And I don't think GG meant it like that.
I love U2 because their belief (or rather Bono's) is quite strong and I actually respect people who believe in God coz I don't think I could :)

Aygo said:
Get back to your calling, Bono."[...]»

Ok, most of the Baldwin quote is pretty weird. That's why I'm ignoring all that. My above reference is the one part I find sort of interesting because it brings up the question of whether Bono could do more good focusing on music than this balancing act he's been doing.

In other words, would Bono do more good for the cause by inspiring others through music, than by trying to take on the bulk of the responsibility for himself? I don't have an answer right now, but I think it's a fair question.

Bono's true gift appers to be communication. I don't think there's any arguing that music has been his greatest avenue of communication. It's tough to be great at 2 careers simultanaeously for the long haul. Ultimately, I think there's a major risk of becoming good at both, but great at neither.

Personally, I believe that Bono's gifts are better suited for music than activism, but maybe that's just the selfish fan in me talking. Obviously then, I'd hate to see Bono sacrifice greatness in his music career for something just good because he's so involved in activism. There's nothing wrong with advising someone to focus on what is believed to be their greatest gift or 'calling'.

Re: Re: Stephen Baldwin - Bono, shut up and sing!

Layton said:
In other words, would Bono do more good for the cause by inspiring others through music, than by trying to take on the bulk of the responsibility for himself? I don't have an answer right now, but I think it's a fair question.

It is a fair question, but I think there's a bias that inspires it. What I mean is, IMO Bono is NOT taking on, or even trying to take on, the "bulk of the responsibility". Consider DATA - Jamie Drummond and Lucy Mathew hold equal positions. As for EDUN - Ali attends far more fashion events and seems to be handling way more publicity than Bono. The RED campaign looks like Bobby Shriver's new project. The ONE campaign is not uniquly Bono, just read through the list of partner organizations and denominations that work on these issues all day, every day. The difference is that these people aren't famous rockstars, so even though THEY are taking on the bulk of the responsibility, when Bono spends time in Africa holding babies and whatnot, he's the one making the evening news. I'm not trying to downplay Bono's role or how much credit he should be giving, but I think another question you'd need to ask would be, "would I be asking the first question in the first place if Bono wasn't already a successful musician/celeb?"

I wonder what Publisher actually bought the rights and will distribute a book about Stephen Baldwin?

I could see it selling maybe 100 copies - (Baldwin family and friend)

I can't see rolling up to all of my buddies and those guys asking "Wow, what book is that? and I'd answer it's the new Stephen Baldwin book. There selling faster than Amazon can provide them.

Last edited:
Maoilbheannacht said:

So what are doing on a message board for what is essentially a Christian Rock Band? If the mere mention of God causes this reaction for you, I wonder what you do when U2 plays Gloria in concert or ends their shows with 40.

I am talking to other people who share my love for the music and band....
I know God has influenced U2 a lot, and lots of their songs are about jesus or god..but if I like the song, why should I like or dislike it because it's about Jesus?
it's not like it's making the song any better or worse with that knowledge..
one of my favorite U2 songs is very christian actually.. (UTEOTW)

sorry if my message was very harsh, but that's just the way I feel about it... so many people destroying each other in the name of god.. that just makes me sick. I might not be very good in telling others how I feel in english, because it ain't my maternal language, but I try anyhow..

and just a FYI.. I was raised a protestant christian...

FYI, Maoilbheannacht, U2 has NEVER declared themselves a christian rock band. They would laugh at you for suggesting it to them. Yes, three of them are Christian.
And yet, they are NOT a Christian rock band. They've said so countless times.
Until and unless they themselves state that they are, then I will continue to assume they are not.
Gospel type songs on an album does not a christianband make them.
Plenty of artists do this.

Back
Top Bottom