Stay (Faraway, So Close!) song & video appreciation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
4088311.jpg
4088321.jpg

4088331.jpg
4088341.jpg

4088351.jpg
408836.jpg

408837.jpg
408838.jpg

408839.jpg

This is the ultimate karaoke anthem in my opinion! Despite it being a fairly easy song to sing, Bono's voice here is just amazing. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Stay is possibly his best vocal performance ever! No, he doesn't exactly stretch his voice like in say, Red Hill Mining Town but there's a beauty and sheer coolness factor in this lazy singing style that he also used for the stunning Until The End Of The World... hell, most of the Zoo era I guess! As for the video, Wim Wenders' gorgeous shots of Berlin... nuff said! :heart:

If I had to choose my favourite U2 song, this would be it. I love Stay. It's the best-ever Bono vocal performance EVER, and the song is perfect. Great songwriting, there's no doubr about it.

Another Quality thread from Zooty

Stay !!!,, :drool: :drool: Love the song to death. Love the video to death

I've never seen the video. :( But I love the song, it's one of those essential songs that never gets enough credit in the best-of lists.

I would love the full band version of Stay to appear on the Vertigo tour. Zoo TV version is amazing; one of the best U2 songs!

Joshua87 said:
Stay has always been overshadowed by One, but is better than One in every imaginable way in my opinion. :uhoh:

:ohmy:

Come to think of it............ I may be...... agreeing with you here... :yikes: Noooooooo :no:, I have always considered One to be the greatest song ever written! How could this be??? :sad:

Oh well... One and Stay are tied at #1 for me! :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Oh well... One and Stay are tied at #1 for me! :wink:

TIED!!?? You sell out :wink:

OK, I just listened to them back to back, and I didn't even need to finish Stay to know its better--better vocal from Bono, and overall a much more tangable song. I know that Ones beauty lies in its revelance in many different themes, but I think due to how hard Stay hits home that its better. Much more raw emotion, and is twice as good live.

This video is just....guh! :faint: :drool: :heart:

It truly is my favorite video. The only one that has come close to making me feel the same way is the Sometimes video.

This song is just beautiful. It has been overlooked and underappreciated. It's a total gem.

Thanks Zootlesque for this thread :bow: :bow:

My #6 favourite U2 song. The video is their best. This song is so special, so beautiful, and yes, it totally :bump: One.

Stay >>>>>>>>>>>>>> One

"Stay" is always in my top 4 favourite U2 songs (the other 3 being "One", "Bad" and "Where The Streets Have No Name").

Brilliant song, and very underrated!

Never seen the video though, in fact I just missed it the other day... when I just got woke up and went down stairs, VH1 was on and the song had just finished! Damn!:(

Zootlesque said:
Wim Wenders' gorgeous shots of Berlin... nuff said! :heart: [/B]

I just watched Wenders' films "Wings of Desire" and "Faraway So Close" in the past week. You should be able to find them at your public or college library.

"Wings" of course is the more highly regarded work, but "Faraway So Close" is also very good. It does take some patience for Wenders' meandering but meaningful storyline but it's definitely worth it.

Watch the U2 video immediately after watching either of these films and you will be even more impressed. The song and the video definitely are a truly artful representation of the message and cinematography of the movies.

PopDaisy

I never really, really liked Stay when I bought the best of CD all those years ago (I still haven't got the Zooropa album* :reject: ) I found it listenable but not brilliant, it always seemed to me that it wasn't quite right somehow, not as good as it could have been, slow, boring, must have been a song from U2 rubbish era that all bands go through I thought.

HOWEVER, Yesterday I bought the best of DVD (so I could watch the videos...obviously) and watched the Stay video today. It was beautiful. Really suited the song and has actually helped the song itself to grow on me. A similiar thing happened with New Year's Day. I loved it when I first heard it, then disliked it, then I saw the opening 30 secs of the video on U2.com and I fell in love with it again. Whenever New Year's Day is played on the radio I think it's such a good radio track because it's quite lengthy but doesn't seem to feel like it.

*I contemplated buying it in HMV but as I'd already got in my hand 2 DVDs I decided it would be either CD and 1 DVD or 2 DVDs, not all three. So in the end I went for the 2 DVDs, reasoning that I'd already got a number of the Zooropa songs on the best of CD so it would keep whilst I'd not got any of the videos.

In video u2 said that this song is so good that you need three hands to play drums and three hands to play guitar

Love the version of Stay that is on the album. Something about that gritty guitar sound really suits the song. Much better than the acoustic live version, imo.

Stay is always in my top 10 U2 songs, the order changes everyday here it is today

1. One
2. Bad
3. Streets
4. Stay
5. The Fly
6. New Years Day
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Walk On
9. A Sort of Homecoming
10. Until the end of the world

Stay is U2's best of 93-05

Back