Stay(Faraway, So Close!) - "Perhaps the most beautiful song that U2 has ever written"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!

The words are so sad and longing. And acoustically the song works best. Simple. Georgeous. I just wanted to give some Kudos to this tune.

Incidently, every time I pick up my guitar I always, I mean ALWAYS start by playing Stay. I admit I'm addicted.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Originally posted by tackleberry:

Incidently, every time I pick up my guitar I always, I mean ALWAYS start by playing Stay. I admit I'm addicted.

Same here!

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Definitely my favorite U2 song. It's very beautiful.

I am also a big fan of Wim Wenders' angels, and I love the association between the song, U2, and the angels. It all just seems so right.

Agree!
When someone asks me which U2 song is the best, I always end up naming Stay and UV. And hearing it live, it always brings me to tears.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

May 24, in Toronto they played it Acoustic. It was sooo good, and the asshole's next to us decided to choose that moment to start talking to my friend and I. Bastards!!!

Oooohhhh...I want to hear that acoustic version...

Right up there with songs like "Kite" and "Running to Stand Still."

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

This is kind of lame, but I'm not one of those girls who cries at sappy movies, shit like that. But Stay is a song that will just make me cry out of the blue...that's beauty.

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

Yeah.. that quote in the subject line is of course from Bono in case some of you don't realize that. And boy, that fellow knows his music! Stay definately ranks in my top 10... It has my favourite lyrics of any U2 song period i think.

Stay is one of my favorite songs! The lyrics... the music... Bono's soothing/soulful voice ... its just lovely! I love it!

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

My mom never listens to my music and my dad doesn't either but one day stay was playing and my dad said he really liked that song, he listened to the whole song- it was great. And I was watching U2's boston concert when stay started, my mom came and sat down and began crying...I knew that stay was an extraordinary song. She loves the video almost as much as I do... stay is one of those songs that anyone who hears it just listens to it.

------------------

I'm counting UFO's, I signal them with my lighter and in this moment I am happy...happy.

I'm just sipping on chamomile, watching boys and girls and their sex appeal.
AIM:fengche

I think the video is loosely based on Wim Wenders "Wings of Desire" movie.

I love the song and video.

When I first saw the video and saw Bono with the fake ponytail I thought he grew his hair long again ala the Joshua Tree period.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Yes, the video was directed by Wenders and is based on his two angel movies, Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close. There are scenes from Faraway, So Close in the video, since Stay was one the soundtrack album.

I highly recommend Wings of Desire. It is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. It just makes me feel very happy to be alive.

The sequel is good too, but it is a little darker and there are some very questionable plot developments.

great video
and I love how this song fits on Zooropa

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I wish so completely and utterly much for a soundboard recording of the version of Stay with Jonathan... you just can't understand. It is so beautiful. I'm also really looking forward to the acoustic version that's coming out.

I always love it live (ZooTV video--sigh--to die for), but for some reason I've never been crazy about the studio version. Everyone loves it, so clearly it's just me. And I've never seen the video! Dammit, I don't think I've even seen half their videos.

I discounted Zooropa and only bought it recently (yet another album I wish I didn't listen to the mainstream about, since it's very good). In fact, the first time I heard "Stay" was in concert, and immediately, I was struck by the lyrics. I think everyone knows someone who reminds them of "Stay," or maybe it reminds you of yourself. It's just an amazing song--definitely in my top 10 U2 songs list.

Actually, I'm not terribly crazy about the studio version of "Stay" either. I'm not really sure why, maybe because it sounds much more delicate and haunting live. It was definitely one of the highlights of my Elevation show in Phoenix.

Back
Top Bottom