Stay (far away, so close)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boontje

Babyface
Last weekend I was in Berlin and we passed a huge statue and my first thought was: this is from Stay!

I made a picture

Can someone tell me if this was the one?

stay.jpg

Last edited:
yup...

because Wim Wenders is German, and his films are german, and Faraway So Close (The Sequel To Wings Of Desire) takes place in Berlin... and that statue... I think it is called the Peace Angel... is a main setpiece in the film.

Check it out at the Berlin Film Museum at the Sony Center in Berlin. They have the main actor's angel costume and a photograph of him sitting on the shoulder of the angel...

the Stay video was modelled after the film.

Thank you :wink:

Here is another one:

stay2.JPG

I am so glad that I was correct because I made the person next to me in the bus crazy about it :p

The name of the column is the Siegesaule (Victory Column).

When I was in Berlin I went up there and watched the city as Bono supposedly did in that video :).

Last edited:
babyman said:
What? The statue of Berlin turned into the statue of Stay?

:wink: :wink:

yes the statue should be officially dubbed the Stay Statue now, because let's face it, the Stay video is way more important than whatever the statue was named for before.

AtomicBono said:

because let's face it, the Stay video is way more important than whatever the statue was named for before.

:lmao:

This thread is so fucking cool. :drool:

I want to go to Berlin NOW!!!

*throws tantrum*

its the SIEGESSÄULE = victory column.
wim wenders did some tricks during the filming of the Stay video.
in fact they did NOT sit on the wings of the VIKTORIA (the name of the golden lady...) 'cause they all suffer from vertigo:lol:
BERLIN :rockon::rockon::rockon:
siegessaeule.jpg

there are still bullet holes in the column from a couple of major battles during World War II

also, the inside of the column has one of the longest staircases I have ever climbed. And the most graffiti i have ever seen.

there is a smaller version of this statue in Munich.

and a tiny one in the palm of a french statue in Paris (because Paris likes to brag that they are better than Germany... Jerks)

what's cool about the column is that is used to
a. be shorter
b. not have a statue on top
c. be in a different location in berlin

but they:

a. moved it
b. added a section of column to make it taller
c. added the statue.

all at different times in the past 100 years and all for different reasons.

ah, trivia.

Back
Top Bottom