Staring At The Sun - Original Or Remix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
I own a copy of POP, but I'm burning a remix, that includes the single versions of Please, LNOE, and IGWSHA. I was considering swapping out the original Staring At The Sun and putting the remix from the Best Of in its place, cause I like the harmonies and the more 'acoustic' feel. Am I making a mistake? Why should I keep the original one there, if you prefer it? Or why should I replace it with the newer version?

I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice!

The songs are exactly the same, except for the percussion and outro. And personally I think the percussion in the new mix is unecessarily prominent, and although the ending is more complete, that doesn't save the rest of the butchering.

Seriously, I dunno why U2 bothered with these silly remixes. *cue Jick*

Whichever one you personally like best is "the right choice."

Palace_Hero said:
The songs are exactly the same, except for the percussion and outro. And personally I think the percussion in the new mix is unecessarily prominent, and although the ending is more complete, that doesn't save the rest of the butchering.

Seriously, I dunno why U2 bothered with these silly remixes. *cue Jick*

The new version also has a less prominent lead guitar and a more prominent acoustic guitar. Check out the 2:30-2:45 mark in both versions for another instance in which the electric guitar is changed.

Yeah that breakdown with the guitar in the original is so much more poweful than the new mix.

Go the original! All they did in the new mix was tinker, fair enough on the Discotheque and Gone new mixes they hacked it up proper (still came out with a shittier version on both counts though).

The new mix sounds stripped of guitar. I don't like the new mix at all. Go for the original. Much better.

Mhh, i prefer the New Mix, but the guitar breakdown of the original is something missed in the mix:(

So, I burned the revised version of POP with the original version of Staring At The Sun, but I do miss some of the things in the 2002 version. It was a really tough decision and I don't know if I'm entirely satisfied with the choice I made. :(

Oh well.

-Miggy

The original is much better, it's funny because the remix is the one that does not sound finished, I liked the idea with the new mix but it just sounds aweful without edge's electric guitar at the forefront... I really like the way the new mix ends though.

I was actually going to make a thread about this.

Last night I listened to both versions of Staring at the Sun on my new u2 ipod.:D anyways, I was baffled as to why they thought the new mix was better. it's horrible. I can't describe everything, but for starters the intro on the original is so much better; it's exciting and grabs your attention. the remix starts abrubtly with that dumb drum pattern. secondly, bono's vocals are mixed waaayyy too loud on the remix. there's other things, but that's enough.
try listening back to back and you'll maybe hear it.

The remix on the best of is a complete pile of shit. I really hate that song, it stripped the original of all of its intensity and emotion.

:down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

SATS wasn't really ruined on the new mix, per se, but it certainly wasn't improved.

The biggest travesty was the new mix of Gone, which completely robs the song of its original emotion. Bono said he felt someone was walking over his grave when he recorded the vocal. Why in god's name would you rerecord that? And I NEVER liked Edge's "Gooooone" backing vocal, don't know why.

Anyway, Larry said that he felt SATS could have been a huge hit had they time to polish it. Perhaps back in 1997 that may have been the case. But they certainly didn't have the magic to put the 2002 version over the top. It's still the weakest "ballad" single the band has ever released. But I love the middle/breakdown section.

I'd say if you're gonna try something else, use the acoustic with Bono playing that really nice Spanish guitar part.

laz

Staring at the Sun is the song that got me into U2. One of their best in my opinion.

When I got the Best Of and heard that terrible remix, I couldn't believe my ears. The drums are too loud, the guitar is not loud enough, etc. I think I listened to it 3 times, then stopped, because I didn't want to ruin the original I always have in my head (maybe I should listen to it again).

That great wonderful guitar, that atmosphere...
What a song.

Comparing the original wonderful version with the awful remix is just an insult, an offense to the song :sad: :( .... anyway, I found guys over there that think Scissor Sister version of "Comfortably Numb" is better than the masterful Pink Floyd one :down: :shame:

Back
Top Bottom