Staring at the Sun live (Full band)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
The few times they got this to work right, I really liked it this way. I've never been particularly fond of the acoustic in comparison. It works really well, don't get me wrong. But this song has got so much going on besides the guitar.

I agree, from the few times it was played, I really liked the full band version. The acoustic Staring At The Sun on the Elevation Tour almost seemed like a wasted five minutes.

james

I have one version that is acoustic that the Edge and Bono sound so amazing. It is on a bootleg mix so I couldn't tell you when it was performed but it is one of my favorite acoustics and I don't particularly like the song.

I :heart: the acoustic version from Popmart. I have it on several bootlegs (audio and video) and it's the first song I skip too. I always have to watch or listen to that first before I can concentrate on the rest of the concert! :D :drool:

The only full band I have seen is from Vegas where they have to start over.

Working on it Herco. It's an audience recording, so it's not the very best, but it's a small file and the only one I have handy.

Incidentally, I do like the Elevation acoustic version more than the more full bodied popmart acoustic version. Maybe Elevation was just pop-deprived...

Can you please send it to farmnerd@hotmail.com too? Thanks.

I was at the Popmart Columbus show, one of the earlier ones, and they did the full band version of it. I really didn't notice any problems with their performance of it at all. The acoustic version on Popmart was really good. But the Elevation version kinda sucked. In fact, with the exception of Stay, the acoustic set was usually just like halftime for a lot of people to go get drinks.

I saw them do the full band version 3 times. Memphis, Clemson and Columbus in 1997. Memphis was a mess, they had to start over and you could see Bono was pissed (he was in a bad mood period that night). Clemson they had to start over again, but played a pretty good version once they did. Columbus they seemed to be getting a handle on the song but it was still a little ragged. They never really got it down completely but were getting close. They eventually just gave up and moved to the Bono and Edge acoustic version instead. I think they did that at the time of the New York 97 shows.

It was pretty obvious they were having problems with the timing on it. They couldnt get the opening in sync for some reason. I think it was just one of those songs that was difficult for them and they just gave up on it. If it hadnt been a single I think they would have stopped playing it all together on Popmart.

They played it full band on the Elevation tour when I see them at Manchester. It was in a kind of medley with Discotheque, think it was at the end of Discotheque and they played part of the song, but still full band playing and it sounded great, far superior than the acoustic which I never really got into.

I remember reading something about originally on POP Discotheque would segue into Staring At The Sun..is that true?

rjhbonovox said:
They played it full band on the Elevation tour when I see them at Manchester. It was in a kind of medley with Discotheque, think it was at the end of Discotheque and they played part of the song, but still full band playing and it sounded great, far superior than the acoustic which I never really got into.

I dont think the Elevation tour version is the full band version that is being referred to here. They only attempted the full band version (like it is on the POP album) on the Popmart tour. It was only attempted for the 1st half of the 1st leg of Popmart. The version done at the Elevation shows was closer to the acoustic version done later on Popmart. I personally dont consider the Elevation version a full band version even though they were all on stage. But each their own.

Last edited:
The_acrobat said:
Wonder why?

Hotmail mailboxes aren't big enough to hold such files, sadly.

Personally, I prefer the full band SATS. I think it is the Washington DC show that features a fantastic version of it. Acoustically ... well, I'm simply not keen on the acoustic set full stop.

when i saw them in columbus ohio during the popmart tour they played it full band and it was amazing. i wish they would, if they were to play SATS again , play it the way they did on the first part of the popmart tour.

Blue Room said:

I dont think the Elevation tour version is the full band version that is being referred to here. They only attempted the full band version (like it is on the POP album) on the Popmart tour. It was only attempted for the 1st half of the 1st leg of Popmart. The version done at the Elevation shows was closer to the acoustic version done later on Popmart. I personally dont consider the Elevation version a full band version even though they were all on stage. But each their own.

As I said before it wasn't the full song but part of the song played by all of the band at the end of Discotheque, electric guitar and not acoustic. I know this cos I was there.

rjhbonovox said:

As I said before it wasn't the full song but part of the song played by all of the band at the end of Discotheque, electric guitar and not acoustic. I know this cos I was there.

I think the idea is that the arrangement mirrored that of the acoustic version, spacey guitars and sparse instrumentation, as opposed to the dense Oasis-y feel of the studio version.

U2popmofo, check yourses inbox.

I love the acoustic version myself. It's been done wel on both of the last tours.
Shame the full band version has never really worked. But I enjoy listening to them having their 'family row' as Bono puts it, when they fuck up on the 1st Popmart gig. :wink:

I have a Popmart Pittsburgh bootleg w/ the full band version and it sounds great. That song with the full band went so well at the time, with summer and outdoor stadiums.

I agree i Liked the Full-Band electric version better! They played it at the Wash DC show. It was fantastic! Thought the acoustic version bordered on boring on a regualr set basis.

Back
Top Bottom