staring at the sun appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all_i_want

Refugee
after all this time... it is time.

this is an AMAZING song.

it only becomes better in an acoustic setting.

so lets show it some love

happy to go blind :wink:

SATS is one of my favorite U2 songs. In fact, it's the song that really got me hooked on U2. To this day, I still find it as incredible as I did when I first heard it. Because of my connection with the song, it easily places in my top 10.

I really wish they had figured out how to play it full-band though. I do like the acoustic version, but I think a proper full-band version would have been awesome.

The "new" version doesn't work for me. They ruined the into on it.

One of my favorites, probably in my top 25 U2 songs. I really enjoy the accoustic version. I think my favorite aspect of SATS is the harmony between Bono/Edge during the chorus.:drool:

:yes:Whilst not among my favourites its still a classy song!

Just for the record, does anyone know if they have ever attempted a full band version of this since the infamous botch up of it @ opening Popmart night in Las Vegas?

brilliant song, although i usually listen to the Popmart Rotterdam live version on the "Please" single more than the album version. It's incredible.

When Pop first came out...this was the song I had on repeat for days.

This song reminds me so much of my high school days....I went to a bonfire by the beach one night and I heard someone playing an acoustic guitar and singing this song...I went and just sat by this person and listened to him. Everytime I hear the song now I think about the small moment in my life...me sitting on the sand and staring into the burning embers of the fire....

corner said:
:yes:Whilst not among my favourites its still a classy song!

Just for the record, does anyone know if they have ever attempted a full band version of this since the infamous botch up of it @ opening Popmart night in Las Vegas?

Yeah, they played full band for a while. I think up until the New Jersey shows. I have a pretty good recording of the Pittsburgh Popmart show with a full band version. It doesn't sound bad at all and alot better than Vegas. The problem with Staring at the Sun is that its not the typical grand U2 ballad. Its kind of gloomy and has a slow pace. I think thats why they really stripped it and slowed it down to an acoustic arrangement. It is a very unique U2 song. One of the many gems on Pop.

I'll email the full band I have to someone and maybe they can post it for everyone. Let me know.

I really like the song -- but not what they did to it on the 90-00 best of. I was sad to hear all the layering stripped.

the tourist said:
I really like the song -- but not what they did to it on the 90-00 best of. I was sad to hear all the layering stripped.

awful remake...awful. the song is incredible, why change it for the best of? not as bad as the numb one though

Haha, it's funny-before I became a really big U2 fan, I'd hear this song on the radio on occasion, and had no idea back then that it was U2.

Anywho, this is one of my absolute favorite U2 songs...one thing I particularly love about this song is Edge's guitar...he does amazing things with it during this song. And I love how Bono sings the words and stuff. The new mix on that "Best Of" CD isn't bad...I don't mind that one, either. But I still personally prefer the original. Great song indeed :up:.

Angela

Probably one of the best tunes U2 has written, musically. But those lyrics :yikes: some of them bug me.

easily one of my favorites. i agree though, the remixes are terrible.

RademR said:
brilliant song, although i usually listen to the Popmart Rotterdam live version on the "Please" single more than the album version. It's incredible.

:up:

Agree

Back
Top Bottom