Springhill mining disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like this song. Only live version I have is on an "unplugged collection" and I don't know which show it's from. :huh: Oh and I have a video from some old Dublin TV show. It's funny, never seen Larry standing up to play before.

They sang it on 1987 on Gay Byrne during a 'tribute to the Dubliners' show. Written by Peggy Seeger, Bono said that the Dubliners version of the song had been an inspiration to him.

They also sang the song in Cardiff Arms Park (my hometown) during the 87 tour soon after the Miner's strike that had caused such misery in Wales and other parts of the UK.

Cheers
Jim

Next time you're in Ireland, if you see a session going on, ask the Musicians to play 'Springhill'.. it's a classic Irish traditional song.

I was listening to it only last night actually and really enjoyed it!

Youtwohearts we were probably listening to the same version then if Bono said that (the "The Joshua Tree of Fire" recording).

We're not the Beatles, this is U2 here!

Haunting song yet very nice. I have a few performances. My fave is from San Francisco, 04.25.87, the boot The Joshua Tree on Fire.

MT

Last edited:
Funny how everyone seems to have started listening to this song again recently (myself included). Just curious as to how it might have become a 'traditional Irish song' when it was written by Brits about a Canadian coal mine?

goat

rivergoat said:
Funny how everyone seems to have started listening to this song again recently (myself included). Just curious as to how it might have become a 'traditional Irish song' when it was written by Brits about a Canadian coal mine?

goat

By that I mean that since (or before?) the Dubliners played it, it its not uncommon to hear the song played by session musicians in (of course) the style of 'traditional Irish music'.. I've heard English, Welsh, Scottish, American etc.etc. songs played as a staple in Irish sessions for a long time; the music is predominantly, but not exclusively, Irish.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
I was listening to it only last night actually and really enjoyed it!

Youtwohearts we were probably listening to the same version then if Bono said that (the "The Joshua Tree of Fire" recording).

We're not the Beatles, this is U2 here!

That's the one. I crack up everytime. Except mine is a mix of Ultra Rare U2 Live. I got it on E-bay.

Ha, I just rediscovered this track too. Absolutely stunning. My favourite would be the one from Rock's Hottest Ticket, 29 April 1987.

Back
Top Bottom