Springhill mining disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony

The Fly
Is Bono saying "Shut up" to the crowd because they as whistling during the song Springhill mining disaster 04-29-1987 ??? Please somebody tells me if I'm right or wrong. If not, why is he saying that?

Tony

I am not sure. I have always figured that is why he tells them to shut up. If you listen to U2 Coverin' Em, he says "one more piece of shit out of you and youre out of here". This is another one I can't figure out. I don't remember which song it is in, I will have to go back and listen.

It's something along the lines of "Shut up for a second will ya? This isn't the Beatles, it's U2!" I think he was trying to get serious talking about the song, and people were shouting and all, so he just wanted to quiet them down for a sec, thats all.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Don't you think he pushed it a little too far? How can a 40000 crowd shut up! And why saying "this isn't the Beatles but U2", like he was saying that U2 was too important for wistles... To be totally honest with you, I think Bono took himself too seriously and was a bit pretentious that night.

Actually it was at the Rosemont Horizon so it was 18,000 people. You have to remember Bono is human (can you believe that???) and a moody one at that. He was trying to focus on the song and he got a little carried away, it happens. We all overeact to something at some point in our lives. Ours just dont get recorded and made into bootlegs as a permanent record of it. Almost everytime they played that song on the Joshua Tree tour he asked the crowd to try to keep quiet while they played it and Chicago was the only time the crowd really didnt comply and Bono got pissed about it. Its that simple, take it for what it is worth.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 09-25-2001).]

He says

"Shut up for a second will ya...and stop whistlin' 'cause I'm not in the Beatles, this is U2 here..."

I think it's very tongue-in-cheek.

Originally posted by Tony:
Don't you think he pushed it a little too far? How can a 40000 crowd shut up! And why saying "this isn't the Beatles but U2", like he was saying that U2 was too important for wistles... To be totally honest with you, I think Bono took himself too seriously and was a bit pretentious that night.

I disagree. It's not that Bono said that they were too important for whistles. It's just that he wanted to hear what he was singing so he could sing it correctly and that the crowd would listen to the song and understand its lyrics. He mentioned the Beatles because one reason the Beatles stopped touring in 1965 was because of the screaming audience they faced every time. They couldn't hear themselves play and it also didn't matter what they played (good or bad) as everybody would keep screaming all the time.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

I don't care if he was being a jerk or not, I just wanted to say I got my own copy of that boot today, thanks to my cookie 'ho.

bounce2.gif

------------------
"I suppose I do everything in extremes-laugh a lot, cry a lot, fight a lot, make love a lot, eat too much, drink too much, try too much, cry too much. Pass the onion..." -Bono

~April~

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

Did Bono shorten the song in Chicago? I found another version of Spring Hill Mining Disaster and it had another verse. Was Bono mad at the crowd so he shortened it?

[This message has been edited by blood red edge (edited 09-26-2001).]

The most embarrasing example of Bono yelling at an audience member had to be the "Save the Yuppies" show in downtown San Francisco in 1987. Someone had a banner that read "S.F." and Bono began cussing him out for being a Sinn Fein (IRA) supporter.

It really is tough to listen to when you realize that the guy was just showing some hometown spirit. I don't know if the B man ever figured it out.

You know I was listening to my Detroit 1987 recording the other day and Bono gets pissed at security in that show and stops A Sort Of Homecoming to yell at the guy. This was the show right after the Chicago show we are discussing. I think Bono may have been just a bit testy during this time frame, could have been for alot of reasons, personal and career related.

Bono suffers from Rock Star PMS?

eek.gif

------------------
"I suppose I do everything in extremes-laugh a lot, cry a lot, fight a lot, make love a lot, eat too much, drink too much, try too much, cry too much. Pass the onion..." -Bono

~April~(AIM:pOPLemonGirl)

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

Back
Top Bottom