Spiritual Guides - New Job Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Do any of you believe in spiritual guides? Even though I am a scientist, I do believe we have guides that help us (if we let them) in our times of need. The more research I do, the more convinced I am that there IS a God. As such, it is very easy for me to believe in guides (or, if you prefer, angels).

I bring this up because I have an offer for a new position. I gave a verbal "yes" but have yet to sign anything stating I will accept the position. I had hoped my spiritual guides would help me, but if anything, they have been more confusing. Let me elaborate.

In August, when I wasn't really searching for a job, I received a phone call from a hiring agency. I get these all the time, so that in and of itself is not surprising. However, the timing was, as I was just about getting ready TO start job hunting. How odd that just as I decide to start job hunting, I get a call from a hiring agency.

It turns out the job was with a company that conducts research in the exact area I've been wanting to do for the past several years. How odd that not only do I get a call for a job at the same time I decide to job hunt, but it is in an area I've been wanting to join for years!

Due to the Sep. 11th tragedy and (apparently) a series of other delays, I wasn't called in for a personal interview until Nov. While I readily acknowledge the Sep. 11th delay, this rather long delay of 2.5 months (from the phone interview to the in-person interview) was annoying. When I still didn't hear from the company in late October, I had decided to cancel. From my experience, when a company takes that long to call in someone, it's for a reason. On the VERY day that I was finally called to go in for an interview, I was going to call the hiring agency (headhunter) and tell them to cancel everything. How odd that on that VERY day I decide to cancel, the interview is arranged.

Since I already had a fairly nice job though (my boss is a bit of a pain and I thought the pay was too low, hence why I was seeking a new position), I didn't put that much effort into this new position - at least I didn't think I did. The interview went well, but nothing where I thought I overly impressed them. How odd then that I find out I was their TOP candidate (out of 4) for this position.

Just yesterday (Sat., Dec. 15th) I went to see if I could find a new residence. I currently live in the North Shore area of Boston and this place is near New Haven, CT. Since I have a dog (9 year old Dalmatian) I knew that it would be a challenge to find a new residence. Sure enough, on the day before I left (Fri., Dec. 14th) the person assisting me (real estate agency) said that she only had one residence for me to see. I felt that this was the "sign" I needed to convince me that this job is NOT for me. However, she then called back later that day stating she now had several places for me to see. So, off I go to peruse these potential residences. The first 5 did nothing for me - some were "dumps" (although she euphemistically called them "rustic"
smile.gif
). But the last place was near perfect. Tons of room in a nice area, with a huge yard for my dog. I even get part of a garage. The price was a tad high, but for all I was getting, it was well worth it. How odd that just as I'm ready to give up hope on finding a new place, I find the "perfect" place to live.

Some of you may say, "See - your spiritual guides are telling you to move." But wait until you read the NEXT post!

As I just wrote - it seemed that my spiritual guides were telling me to move. I get a job in an area I've been wanting to do for years without even trying! Plus, I find a "perfect" spot to live. How much better can the "clues" be? Well, now read the other side.

As I wrote above, I was seeking a new position because my boss, a V.P. was annoying and I felt the pay was low. On Friday, I summoned up my courage talked to the V.P. about the times he's harsh. Instead of being angry, he stated that this is unintentional - he's just pushing himself as well as his people. The V.P. then promised to work on it. True enough, my V.P. has been ridiculously professional, courteous and even apologetic to me this whole month. Furthermore, the CEO caught wind of my "grievances" and personally told me that I will get a raise and he's "working on" the other issues (regarding this V.P.). How odd that just as I was ready to move on, my "problems" with the V.P. are, if not solved, at least out in the open. Furthermore, I have the support of both the V.P. *and* the CEO on this issue.

The V.P. then gave me an "excellent" review and promoted me. He emphatically argued that my review and promotion were done BEFORE he learned that I was slightly upset and seeking a new position. He stated he's been very happy with my work (despite, apparently, his outward appearances that he's not that supportive). With this promotion comes a raise, of course. The V.P. also stated he wants to give me a raise in June. This raise would negate the 7% jump in salaray I would receive from my new position. And with another raise in June, this would negate the raise my new company would also give me in June. Furthermore, with this promotion, I am now eligible to receive an annual cash bonus. In other words, my annual salary no longer becomes an issue. How odd that just as I was ready to move forward, I get raises, promotions and bonuses that negate all of my financial concerns with this current position.

As for recognition, there have been two recent press releases (releases that one could even read on the internet!) that have my name all over them. These press releases discussed the success of my work. I deal with patent lawyers and other companies (for corporate collaborations). In other words, I can't possibly get much more recognition than I do now. Plus, my current company now has a good group of positive, energetic people working for them. This may be the time for them to truly break out. Do I want to leave now? If I stay, I will be promoted, I will get a product released, I get a bonus and I will learn new skills - all of which will look great on my resume. Plus, my current work is in cancer diagnostics - so it's not as if I'm doing something trivial.

That said, this new position does work in protein therapeutics. Instead of trying to simply work on diagnosing cancer, I might be working on a drug to treat, even cure, cancer at my new position! So both positions are very intriguing.

As you can see, I feel very torn. Every time I feel as if my spiritual guides are telling me to move one way, it's almost as if a bunch of other guides are telling to stick it out at my current position - at least for another year - as great things could come.

I should also point out that I really like my current residence. It is a bit small (part of a house), but I have nicely lived here for over 3.5 years. The rent is low and includes EVERYTHING (cable, electricity, water and heat). My landlords love my dog and take care of him when I leave - so I have a built-in dog babysitter! Plus, the house has a yard. The low rent is allowing me to save $$ that I may be able to use to buy my own place within the coming year. I might lose this ability to save when I move (as rent will be higher).

Additionally, my current job gives me an office, which I will lose at my new position. Also, I have a position of power at my current position, one that I don't think I'll get at my new position (unless things go well). When I informed the HR at my new position that I was expecting a raise and maybe even a promotion in December from my current position, they did NOT raise their initial offer, which concerned me - perhaps the only negative thing they've done. Usually, there is a counter-offer, but not at this company.

Clearly I am torn. There are about an equal number of pros and cons for both positions.

Hence, if anyone has more feedback to give me on this, I would really appreciate it. As you can tell, I'm really confused (even my friends are) and I'm not getting a clear signal one way or the other so far from my spiritual guides.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 12-16-2001).]

Have you considered calling Dr. Laura, Dr. Who?

I think you should stay..your dog doesn't need any upheval-sp.,and YOU got the most IMPORTANT aspect handled here-respect and appreciation for your work,of course the pay increase is nice..but respect supercedes that..

However if your guides tell you to leave feel free to use me as a reference..I am used to being used around here..

Peace
Out

DB9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

Fascinating thread!

Personally, i think those were all just coincidences.

I don't know what to tell you about the decision - i think either way you choose, you can't loose. Both jobs/situations are great, and both jobs rewarding.

Sounds like a very tough decision. And although this is a huge cliche, I think you will have to follow your heart and once you make the decision DON'T look back. Don't second-guess yourself. "What-might-have-beens" can kill you. I think either way, you will find happiness.
smile.gif
Good luck!

-sula

hey Doc, I don't believe in 'spirirtual guides' per se, but I believe that God uses our experiences and circumstances (and our own conscience) to always guide us toward Him. I also feel that the world/universe was created in such an order that it would keep scientists busy studying its laws, theories, axioms and the like for all eternity (God is a great architect).

Sounds like someone is trying to talk to you...
wink.gif

Congrats on everything that happened, don't you love it when things fall into place when you least expect it? I'm still fairly happily living in the apt. that I was "guided" to about 5 years ago...
smile.gif

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
Wow. I really appreciate you sharing your story in such detail. You sound like a humble (in the spiritual sense) person of high integrity. It's cool you've posted your dilemma for our, er, feedback
wink.gif

I'm sure you used the word "humble" very tongue-in-cheek there.
biggrin.gif
My apologies if, in trying to elaborate, I sounded like a braggart. However, it is only through these details that people can see my dilemma. There is so little disparity between the positions that my decision remains ridiculously difficult.

The pros and cons, however serendipitously provided, in this case are pretty mathematical because they are so even: they equal "zero" in your search for the answer. They are also, in the grand scheme, cosmetic: income, residence, professional advancement -- all important, of course, but both options are acceptable so they aren't the real issue. blah blah
biggrin.gif

Oh, there was nothing serendipitous (or surreptitious) about my listing the "pros and cons" of each position.
biggrin.gif
This was very much intentional, if not blatant. LOL! This was because I wanted you all to see what my choices were and the dilemma I was facing.

However, I really appreciate you stating something that should have been obvious to me - that all of these pros and cons are indeed cosmetic. Thank you!
icon36.gif
That does force me to take a step back and consider what is really better for me.

What I really want to get at is another level of the question. Maybe ultimately, it's about the work. You mention both jobs "intrigue" you. You've chosen meaningful work, I'll assume on a deep, gut feeling that there was a role you felt you could play in the world, that this is where your spiritual purpose could be best served, yes? So on the long arc... on the great trajectory, the "accounting" of your life...what do you see written there? Where does your scientific curiosity, your hunger for solutions, pull you? (The answer to both queries is probably the same.)
It isn't a question about creature comforts. It's about fulfillment and inspiration. Service to humanity is a beautiful thing; passion for service to humanity is probably a holy thing -- at least, closer to God. Good luck.

This is scarily accurate. Since my early 20's, I have definitely felt that I "serve a purpose" on this earth. Only recently, with my current position, did I feel I was coming closer to finally fulfilling that purpose. I really do not believe in destiny, as I believe we ultimately have a choice. However, I do believe that we can follow a certain path - if we choose to do so. For years, I have felt that everything I have done has only prepared me for the role I was to eventually take, providing I stay on this path. As I said, I finally started feeling that I am nearing this "purpose" with my current position - however, I do not feel I am there yet. I do feel, though, that this next position will bring me closer to fulfilling this purpose.

That said, there's tons about my current position that warrants staying, ranging from the importance of my work (and the feelings I get from that) to the hassles of moving (see my above posts for more detail). While it's a "good" dilemma to be in, it's a challenging one nonetheless.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, thank you truecoloursfly and everyone else for your advice.

Oh, and U2girl... I agree, all that I wrote above does sound coincidental, but to me, when there are THAT many things coincidental, it does make me feel that there is something "greater" causing it. Unlike some scientists, who become agnostic or even atheistic with the more they know, I have developed an even stronger belief in God (or a higher power). This is because we simply never will be able to "explain away" everything. And the elegance of what creates life is incredible - for all of this to "just happen" is the far more unbelievable part. I appreciate your input though because it does remove the mysticism from this decision.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Discoteque:
hey Doc, I don't believe in 'spirirtual guides' per se, but I believe that God uses our experiences and circumstances (and our own conscience) to always guide us toward Him. I also feel that the world/universe was created in such an order that it would keep scientists busy studying its laws, theories, axioms and the like for all eternity (God is a great architect).

Sounds like someone is trying to talk to you...
wink.gif

Congrats on everything that happened, don't you love it when things fall into place when you least expect it? I'm still fairly happily living in the apt. that I was "guided" to about 5 years ago...
smile.gif

Trouble is,Discoteque, is that I'm not sure which way God, His angels or His/my spiritual guides are guiding me. You mentioned everything "falling into place" - but this comment can be made about BOTH positions. Whatever problems/concerns I had at my current job are now gone -i.e., everything just "fell into place." Similarly, the way I found my new position and a new potential residence could also be considered as "falling into place." So which one is "right?" Hmmm.... Which one were YOU referring to when you wrote your comment?
smile.gif

I don't think you are giving yourself the credit that you are due for these changes in your life. Despite the conundrum you now find yourself, both choices seem far better than how you described your situation a year ago--and it's solely because you took the initiative in both directions (searching for a new, meaningful job, and advancing in your old job to a higher, more meaningful position).
I don't believe in angels, guides, etc. etc. (and I believe it fundamentally impossible to either believe in or deny the existence of God) but I think that is beside the point--Give yourself some credit! YOU have brought YOURSELF to the point where you are able to choose between what sound like two equally positive choices.

And about the decision itself, I say flip a coin.
wink.gif

Doc,

Stay at the current position. It doesn't make sense to uproot your life, make sacrifices, and take risks to make less, have less power, and be less appreciated.

Staying where you are, you only have to gain, you will still always have the opportunity to leave if you so desire.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

Originally posted by Elvis:
Doc,

Stay at the current position. It doesn't make sense to uproot your life, make sacrifices, and take risks to make less, have less power, and be less appreciated.

Staying where you are, you only have to gain, you will still always have the opportunity to leave if you so desire.

See there Dr. Who-Even Elvis agrees w/me.
Now did you need that reference after all?
Love
Diamond
Brunohead

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

Since both jobs are weighed evenly to you, I think you should base your decision on how much change you have wanted in your life. You wanted your situation at work to change, and it did, so there should be a desire to want a change in your personal life as well to warrant taking the new position.

If you are tired of Massachusetts and thought that you might like a change, maybe moving to Connecticut will be just what you need. If you are very comfortable where you are, maybe staying is your best option.

The other thing to look at is how strong each company is. If one may be headed for financial problems, maybe you should add that to your pros and cons.

You have a very though decision, and I really want to know what you decide!

Originally posted by Elvis:
Doc,

Good advice Elvis, however, BostonAnne hit on a few issues in her post:
Since both jobs are weighed evenly to you, I think you should base your decision on how much change you have wanted in your life. You wanted your situation at work to change, and it did, so there should be a desire to want a change in your personal life as well to warrant taking the new position.

If you are tired of Massachusetts and thought that you might like a change, maybe moving to Connecticut will be just what you need. If you are very comfortable where you are, maybe staying is your best option.

The other thing to look at is how strong each company is. If one may be headed for financial problems, maybe you should add that to your pros and cons.

While my current company is trying to tempt me into staying, I question their financial future. For example, we are currently seeking a corporate partner for my project. If such a partner isn't found, what does this mean for my project? Will it be cancelled? Also, earlier in the year, the stock dropped to a miniscule $0.90/share. I realize that Sept. 11th had an effect on all businesses, but $0.90/share is ridiculous. It's recovered slightly to about $3/share, but this still makes my 4000 shares of options "worthless" (as I obtained all of them well above $3/share). My V.P. insists the company is "stable enough" but for how long? Can we really do what we want in the coming year?

In contrast, this new company is much larger, with the stock trading at a far more stable $22/share and they have a ton of $$ in the bank. While I may not start out as a manager - and I'd have to sacrifice the promotion I would get at my current position - I have the opportunity to work my way up to a manager quickly. And, as we all know, it's far more impressive to be a manager at a larger company than it is at a smaller one.

Even if I did stay, I would just leave around this time next year - that is, I'll only stay another year at most before moving. This is because I really do not want to make my current company my "lifelong" position. I only accepted it as a "starter job" after my postdoc. I felt it was the best position for me at that point in my career - it provided the opportunity to obtain a lot of training very quickly. This proved to be correct - and is most likely the reason I was the top candidate at the second position.

As BostonAnne asked, I do want to "shake up" my life. My friendships here are limited and even those I know well are talking about leaving. While I really enjoy working with my current coworkers, there is a limitation there - we really don't do much outside of work. I think it's time I shake things up and try another part of New England.

Also, I have to question... do I want to remain in the general Boston area? If so, do I want to buy a home here? Do I want to continue to work in this area? And the answer to all of those questions is "no." There are many companies in my field in the Boston area - and I have little desire to work for any of them. I have lived in the general Boston area for almost 4.5 years and I think it's time for a change. Also, while I like my current apartment, it really is rather restrictive in space. It was great place while I did my postdoc., but now I question if staying here another year is wise. Yes, I could move to a larger place, but I vowed not to move unless I moved out of this area or if I bought a place. And since I do not really want to keep working in this area, I do not want to buy a home here.

Of course, let's not forget the cost of living in the general Boston area. My money would get far less here than in many other places. In contrast, the cost of living is a bit less expensive in CT than it is in Boston, so I could obtain a decent residence there - especially if I really like the new company. I really enjoy New England - I just don't want to continue living/working in or near the Boston area.

The above statements make it seem like my switching jobs is the way I'm leaning. Yes, but consider the following. If I stay, my resume will look far more impressive as I will be able to state my promotion. Also, if all goes well, I will have learned more skills, obtained more publications and perhaps a patent or two and I may even have a product on the market - all of which will look great on a resume. All of this will certainly help me in negotiations at whatever position I take next (or help me find that position). I certainly could "survive" in my current residence for another year, "sacrificing" that aspect of my life in an attempt to save $$ for a home come 2003. And, as I wrote in a previous post, we seem to have a good group of people working at my current company now. This may lead to better friendships inside and outside of work.

In other words, do I want to give up what I currently have? Elvis and DB9 say "no," but BostonAnne brings up some VERY good points. Do I stay with the sure thing and where it's safe or do I take some chances, even if it costs me a bit (salary, promotion, etc.)?

Tomorrow I may try to get the HR at the new company to renegotiate a bit more for me. As it stands, I'll have to pay out of my own pocket to move, which is annoying. If he is unsuccessful again (recall, they already refused once to raise their initial offer), this will answer my doubts.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 12-16-2001).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:
If I stay, my resume will look far more impressive as I will be able to state my promotion. Also, if all goes well, I will have learned more skills, obtained more publications and perhaps a patent or two and I may even have a product on the market - all of which will look great on a resume.

If you really enjoy your new job, you won't be leaving to quickly. By the time you are ready to leave, your resume will most likely contain everything you want. If it doesn't work out, maybe you can go back to your old company.

Tomorrow I may try to get the HR at the new company to renegotiate a bit more for me. As it stands, I'll have to pay out of my own pocket to move, which is annoying. If he is unsuccessful again (recall, they already refused once to raise their initial offer), this will answer my doubts.

I think the biggest issue for you at this point is your fear that the new opportunity is too good to be true.

You are getting an increase either way, and maybe your current position is better in the short term - but you will most likely be successful at the new position and reap the same benefits later.

Originally posted by BostonAnne:
I think the biggest issue for you at this point is your fear that the new opportunity is too good to be true.

You are getting an increase either way, and maybe your current position is better in the short term - but you will most likely be successful at the new position and reap the same benefits later.

I think the latter part is true, but not the former. I don't think a job like this is "too good" for me. I just want to make sure that I don't go to this job and a year from now wonder if I made the right decision.

Anyway, I'll sleep on it one more night, then make my decision. Thanks again!

So Joho..
The "Diamond Letter Of Recomandation" that YOU requested that I type up for you, what would you like me to do w/it?

Diamond

------------------

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
So Joho..
The "Diamond Letter Of Recomandation" that YOU requested that I type up for you, what would you like me to do w/it?

Diamond

I don't recall ever requesting a letter from you - I do recall you offering though, and I must decline. See, I *want* a job, I don't want to lose it.
biggrin.gif

[You sound like a humble (in the spiritual sense) person of high integrity...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you used the word "humble" very tongue-in-cheek there.

--Actually, no, darlin' I didn't.
smile.gif
"Humble" is one who is willing to listen for a wisdom higher than his own. That sounds like you...

Deb

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Wow. I really appreciate you sharing your story in such detail. You sound like a humble (in the spiritual sense) person of high integrity. It's cool you've posted your dilemma for our, er, feedback
wink.gif

The pros and cons, however serendipitously provided, in this case are pretty mathematical because they are so even: they equal "zero" in your search for the answer. They are also, in the grand scheme, cosmetic: income, residence, professional advancement -- all important, of course, but both options are acceptable so they aren't the real issue. blah blah
biggrin.gif

What I really want to get at is another level of the question. Maybe ultimately, it's about the work. You mention both jobs "intrigue" you. You've chosen meaningful work, I'll assume on a deep, gut feeling that there was a role you felt you could play in the world, that this is where your spiritual purpose could be best served, yes? So on the long arc... on the great trajectory, the "accounting" of your life...what do you see written there? Where does your scientific curiosity, your hunger for solutions, pull you? (The answer to both queries is probably the same.)
It isn't a question about creature comforts. It's about fulfillment and inspiration. Service to humanity is a beautiful thing; passion for service to humanity is probably a holy thing -- at least, closer to God. Good luck.

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

I think the latter part is true, but not the former. I don't think a job like this is "too good" for me. I just want to make sure that I don't go to this job and a year from now wonder if I made the right decision.

Anyway, I'll sleep on it one more night, then make my decision. Thanks again!

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that anything was "too good" for you. LOL! What I meant was that all the coincidences leading to the offer of the position - since it's the job you were searching for, then finding a place to live that you will like and making more $ over your last job intially - you are just being cautious not to miss any cons that might be there.

Good luck with your decision today, and don't forget to tell us what happens!
smile.gif

Just a few points...I highly doubt it was "coincedence" that a promotion and raise were offered after you expressed some displeasure with your V.P. etc. My guess is it raised a red flag that you might leave, and the CEO stepped in to try to prevent that, a sign that you are valued at your present company.
As for the decision...you say you will likely only be at your current job for about another year in any event...would the position in CT also be a short term situation or do you feel it might be one you would be happy at in a long term scenario. If its also looked at as only short term, maybe staying makes the most sense, as you will likely uproot again within a year or so.
Also, is New Haven an area that provides interests and new experiences that makes it worth relocating to? (Honestly outside of Yale, I've heard its a bit of a dangerous city to live in, but that's only hearsay).

In the end you seem to have a tough choice, as the argument is fairly equal for either option...go with your gut feeling.

Y'all won't believe this - but technically, I really haven't decided. LOL! Trust me, this is the first time I ever recall being this ambivalent about anything in my life. That's because in the past there was always something that stood out that helped me make a decision. This time, there continues to be so little disparity between the positions, that I'm still struggling.

The new job is actually located in Branford, which is outside of New Haven. Therefore, the area is nicer. I went to Branford (and the surrounding area) on Dec. 15th to search for a new residence. If I didn't find anything, I felt that this would be the "sign" I needed that I wasn't to move. However, I found an outstanding place to live (assuming I get it). The place is near "perfect" in terms of room, atmosphere and features. That said, as odd as this sounds, my cost of living would go up there - by about $4500/year. Yet, the new company was only providing a $3.5K raise (after taxes). In other words, I would lose money (from the large cost of living expenses).

Then, this week I learned that my current company was giving me a 10% raise. This was due to my promotion. That raise put my salary at my current company higher than what the new company was offering. Also, I was eligible for a raise again in June and a cash bonus in December. (Both companies provide stock options - but I'll leave those out of the conversation for now.)

With this raise, it just didn't make sense to take the new position. Not only did my current company offer me more $$ to stay, but my cost of living would go up if I moved. And since the new company had not made any counter-offers to raise my salary, the solution became obvious: I had to decline the offer. I thanked the new company for their offer and their time, but told them I was declining and that I could perhaps work with them again in the future.

It appeared that the decision was made...

Then, at the last possible moment before the Christmas holidays, I received a call from a HR Manager at the new company. He insisted that he was working on "my situation" at the very time I contacted him. He said I "scared him" by saying "no." He then said he had just received permission to increase my annual salary. They were initially offering me 7% more than my current salary (not including the raise I just received). The offer was now over 11% higher than my current salary.

That increase from the new company now surpassed what my current company was offering - even with their 10% raise. This increase would also be more than enough to counter the increase in cost of living expenses. While I might lose out on my cash year-end bonus at my current position, I would get a signing bonus at my new position and a raise in both June and December.

In other words, my base salary at my new position, come Dec. of next year, would be higher than it is at my current company.

Of course, money is just one reason to make a job change. The job itself, as well as the area and people are factors.

The advantages of staying at my current position are obvious: I don't have to move; I have an interesting project; I know what the pros and cons are there; and I should get a product out within a year. Of course, the advantages of the new position are also obvious: a far more secure company (I was told that an article in TIME Magazine listed them as one of the Top 5 biotech companies in the country!); a chance to move up within the company rapidly in the future; and the opportunity to have a prolonged career there (whereas, I only envision myself staying for another 1 to 1.5 years at my current company).

The decision appeared to be made when the new company seemingly did not want to not raise their offer. It was simply illogical for me to take a pay cut and have a cost of living increase. But now that they raised their offer, the "debate" starts again.

I'm leaving either later today or VERY early tomorrow morning (12/23) for my perennial drive to Chicago to visit family. That long drive (16-18 hours) will allow me to do some thinking and see what's best. However, if any of you have additional "pearls of wisdom" - feel free to share.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 12-22-2001).]

This has got to be driving you crazy! Well, at least it's a good crazy!

Have a safe trip to Chicago and Merry Christmas! It seems like your decision still kind of boils down to how much of a change you want vs. how comfortable you are. Good Luck!

Originally posted by BostonAnne:
This has got to be driving you crazy! Well, at least it's a good crazy!

Have a safe trip to Chicago and Merry Christmas! It seems like your decision still kind of boils down to how much of a change you want vs. how comfortable you are. Good Luck!

Exactly BostonAnne! The salary issue is virtually moot. While one may provide a larger base salary come the year's end, the other gives an annual bonus, so $$ is no longer the issue.

It's now down to whether I want to uproot my life or whether I think it's worthwhile to finish (or nearly finish) my current project. Also important is the aspect of whether I think I can stay at the new position for years to come vs. job hunting again in a year or so. That is, this new position is exactly the type of job I want. Even if I do stay at my current job, I will only be there for another year or so anyway. Therefore, do I want to risk losing this new position now with the hope that I find something similar in the future? Or is it far better for me to stay and try to finish my current project at this small company with the hopes of finding something even better in a year?

Decisions, decisions...

But, as you wrote, at least it's a nice one.
biggrin.gif
As of this moment though, I'm leaning towards staying... but one never knows. We'll see if I have an epiphany over the holidays.
wink.gif

So I'm curious, what happened?
smile.gif

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Even George Washington had at least one vision, at Valley Forge, of an angel showing him some things that would come down in this country. It is recorded in the Library of Congress.

Back
Top Bottom