Sort of embarassing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
forty said:

I realize this an extremely small thing and doesn't matter, but I guess I'm just in a pissy mood. (College finals + writing papers all night = me not happy). I'll get over it. lol.

:hug:

:shifty:

:wink:

Zootlesque said:
:lol: same here! I'm amazed how some people here (Zero Dude for instance when he's making his crazy german posts :wink: ) manage to type those umlaut letters in! Special keyboards? :scratch:

No. Just a regular US-styled keyboard with international settings. :wink:

Popmartijn said:

I always find it hilarious that the word Umlaut doesn't have an Umlaut itself. :)

Ümläüt :D

Let's start an online petition to officially change it to the 'ümläüt' spelling! :hyper:

Ich habe eine Prüfung heute. :( Auf Deutsch. :( And it's oral. :( Perhaps if I answer "Achtung Baby!" to every question, I'll get marks for trying.

Achtung is said as we Scots would say 'loch'. Ak-tung is a very English-and-can't-say-Scottish-sounds approach. ;) I always say it that way, I did German for ages but we never actually said achtung. Still, I refuse to be corrected.

I just owned the oral exam. :rockon: Never mind that I answered one of the questions in Afrikaans... "My naam is Stephanie" is close enough to "Mein name ist Stephanie," nicht wahr? :wink: Perhaps my instructor will just think my pronunciation was a little off. I hate it when Afrikaans phrases have the exact same structure as German phrases. Throws me off completely.

Anyway, er... Achtung, y'all! :rockon:

WalkOn21 said:
This makes me very curious of where you live, GibsonGirl? Where do they teach German AND Afrikaans?

I live in Newfoundland, Canada. I was born and grew up in South Africa, however, hence my knowledge of Afrikaans. I took German as my elective here because I thought my Afrikaaner background would give me an advantage. Truth is, it hinders me more than it helps me. There are a lot of Afrikaans words and phrases that are pronounced virtually identically to German. For example:

dankie / danke
die Stad / die Stadt
die Hund / der Hund
die Berg / der Berg
blou / blau
swart / schwartz

Etc. It arses me up considerably. Particularly nouns...everything in Afrikaans is "die" but German, of course, has three different articles. So when I encounter a German noun that is similar to an Afrikaans noun, I'll often say "die whatever" instead of "das" or "der."

It's very confusing. :sigh:

Zootlesque said:

:lol: same here! I'm amazed how some people here (Zero Dude for instance when he's making his crazy german posts :wink: ) manage to type those umlaut letters in! Special keyboards? :scratch:

I know all the alt-commands, but my laptop doesn't have a number keypad and I can't figure out how to do it with the regular numbers at the top....

Congrats on acing the exam, GG. I understand what you're staying about Afrikaans b/c my entire family is Dutch, so I took German throughout high school basically to get as close to Dutch as possible. It did really help. We actually speak/write/read Yankee Dutch, which is even closer to English than Dutch, so I just combine my English and German and it's no problem for me.

one4u2 said:
Don't be embarrased even Larry can't pronounce it correctly...
Well that's because they had him get off the toilet periodically during the sessions to fill in for the drum machines....

Back
Top Bottom