Sorely Disappointed In OOTS(Single Version)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I mean, it IS improved in a lot of ways from the album version imo, but the ONE thing that would have improved it the most imo is hte ONE thing they didn't change. There is a keyboard progression in the live versions(especially the earlier live versions) during the chorus that makes the chorus 100x better, imo, and in the album version it was just a faint electronic beep-chime of some sort, and they DIDN'T CHANGE it for the single version. No keyboard progression.

Does this bother anyone else?

You can download OOTS(Single Version) in 'Music On The Internet'.

MrBrau1 said:
There really wasn't much room for improvement over the album version. It's perfect.

Far from it.

And this has what to do with the keyboard progression in the chorus of the live versions?

namkcuR said:

And this has what to do with the keyboard progression in the chorus of the live versions?

Who gives a shit? You said you were dissappointed with the new single mix because of the piano, Brau doesn't think the new mix is better either because he thinks the album version is perfect.

Still on topic, so I don't see why it matters if he didn't comment on the keyboard specifically?

Anyway, I have to agree with Brau here. The album version was as close to perfect as this song could ever be (which is a good thing by the way, that's not a diss). I don't think the single mix really adds or detracts anything from the album version aside from burying Bono's vocals further into the mix.

I'm glad they didn't do the keyboard thing with this, the live version of this song is nothing spectacular on its own rights, and it's far inferior to the album version.

Lancemc said:

Who gives a shit? You said you were dissappointed with the new single mix because of the piano, Brau doesn't think the new mix is better either because he thinks the album version is perfect.

Still on topic, so I don't see why it matters if he didn't comment on the keyboard specifically?

Anyway, I have to agree with Brau here. The album version was as close to perfect as this song could ever be (which is a good thing by the way, that's not a diss). I don't think the single mix really adds or detracts anything from the album version aside from burying Bono's vocals further into the mix.

I'm glad they didn't do the keyboard thing with this, the live version of this song is nothing spectacular on its own rights, and it's far inferior to the album version.

Well, I couldn't disagree more. The guitar parts of OOTS - in any version - are nothing spectacular and everyone seems to think they are the heart and soul of the song. I want more keyboards. Listen to the version from the IPod announcement thing last fall. And listen to any version from the first leg of the tour. Greatness.

So are the remixed versions of "All Because of You" and "Original of the Species" proof that U2 is going to re-record Bomb?

I haven't heard the single version yet, but I also don't know how they could improve upon the album version.

Edge's guitar part might not be very complex, but it sure does make the right sounds at the right times. You've got those lovable canned strings making all this fuss building up a crescendo throughout the song, and then you've got Edge's funky little guitar colorings doing the same thing a little more lazily and about a hundred times more stylishly.

(Edit: Okay, listening to the single version. Dunno if the slightly different-sounding intro adds or subtracts much from it.

I like that the drums are more prominent, since Larry gets to "announce" the beginning of the choruses with that cool move of his and it's nice that it's more audible.

The real strings are a bit off-putting. The obviously fake ones fit for the song. It's interesting that they come on a lot stronger for the second round of choruses; it gives the song a much clearer progression.

The best guitar bits are gone. Like the awesome thing he does under "you are the first one of your kind." During the build-up before "and you feel...", the strings overwhelm it. So obviously they really want to emphasize the strings on this one. Doesn't work as a canonical version for me, but it's interesting to have nonetheless.

In general, there's a lot more contrast between high spots and low spots in this mix, like before the "doot doots." I can see how this version might be more accessible on the first listen than the studio version.

The new string bit during the denouement is interesting.

In general, I don't think it's as tight as the album version, which had a Phil Spector quality to it. I also prefer the album version of "All Because of You," for whatever that's worth.

I'm listening to a live version from Amsterdam right now, and could you be more specific about which keyboard part you like? I mean, which chorus? There are three distinct ones. Do you mean the part under "I'll give you anything that you want"? I don't hear anything particularly special from that instrument...

It's no surprise you were disappointed by the single version of "Original..." since you were expecting something specific from it.)

Last edited:
typhoon said:
So are the remixed versions of "All Because of You" and "Original of the Species" proof that U2 is going to re-record Bomb?

I haven't heard the single version yet, but I also don't know how they could improve upon the album version.

Edge's guitar part might not be very complex, but it sure does make the right sounds at the right times. You've got those lovable canned strings making all this fuss building up a crescendo throughout the song, and then you've got Edge's funky little guitar colorings doing the same thing a little more lazily and about a hundred times more stylishly.

(Edit: Okay, listening to the single version. Dunno if the slightly different-sounding intro adds or subtracts much from it.

I like that the drums are more prominent, since Larry gets to "announce" the beginning of the choruses with that cool move of his and it's nice that it's more audible.

The real strings are a bit off-putting. The obviously fake ones fit for the song. It's interesting that they come on a lot stronger for the second round of choruses; it gives the song a much clearer progression.

The best guitar bits are gone. Like the awesome thing he does under "you are the first one of your kind." During the build-up before "and you feel...", the strings overwhelm it. So obviously they really want to emphasize the strings on this one. Doesn't work as a canonical version for me, but it's interesting to have nonetheless.

In general, there's a lot more contrast between high spots and low spots in this mix, like before the "doot doots." I can see how this version might be more accessible on the first listen than the studio version.

The new string bit during the denouement is interesting.

In general, I don't think it's as tight as the album version, which had a Phil Spector quality to it. I also prefer the album version of "All Because of You," for whatever that's worth.

I'm listening to a live version from Amsterdam right now, and could you be more specific about which keyboard part you like? I mean, which chorus? There are three distinct ones. Do you mean the part under "I'll give you anything that you want"? I don't hear anything particularly special from that instrument...

It's no surprise you were disappointed by the single version of "Original..." since you were expecting something specific from it.)

Well, the Amsterdam live versions don't have it the way I like it. To hear what I'm talking about, listen to one of the live versions of OOTS from the first leg of the tour...get the one from the May 10, 2005 Chicago Show - this is the show the bulk of the DVD came from. Listen to that performance. It's almost all keyboard and very little guitar, and I prefer THAT arragement infinitely to either studio version and to the later, full-band live performances.

I think I actually prefer the album version. I can't decide. I like the new intro, but the single version has practically removed all traces of the keyboards, which I think is integral to the song. Having the strings much more audible during the first chorus/prechorus/whatever (I'll give you everything that you want...) is interesting, but I don't know if I like it as much (and they took out one of Edge's best little licks!) Something about this version of OOTS just seems strange to me. I can't quite place it.

Though I think my favourite live versions are the full-band ones (like the one on Conan), the Chicago DVD version has really, really grown on me. Having it start out as just piano and vocals and having Larry and Adam kick in during the second verse is perfect. If they could do that, except also add in guitar when Larry and Adam join in...I dunno. I'm pretty happy with the way they're playing it now.

Where can I find the single version? :shifty:

EDIT: Nevermind, i just found it.

It's good but it doesn't improve it all that much. They shouldn’t have changed anything on it imo. The original version is already the perfect pop song. I prefer the clean piano beginning, the orchestra during the chorus is not bad though. However too much orchestra may sound a bit too cheesy I think, I miss a little of the acoustic guitar too but at least the drums seem to be better mixed.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
There really wasn't much room for improvement over the album version. It's perfect.

I agree best song on the album by a country mile, along with LAPOE. You can't hear edges guitar during the chorus as good as you can on the album version and this is what makes the album version better.:wink:

Overall I probably like the album version better, although both are great. I prefer Edge's guitar in the album version, and Bono's more pronounced vocals, but I like the more pronounced drums and REAL strings in the single version.

Overall guitar and vocals win though :)

namkcuR said:

whoa, hold on a second...

you were expecting an entire thread in honour of a keyboard progression?!

This may sound silly, but after seeing the amazing OOTS video my mind changed. Seeing the video just kind of made it click for me. It just gave me a better feel for the single version. It seems a little more sophisticated and epic with the new strings, while the album version is just a bit too saccharine in comparison. It's what kept the song from being one of my top 5 U2 songs before. The single version solved that problem though!!

rjhbonovox said:

I agree best song on the album by a country mile, along with LAPOE.

Is this not a contradiction in terms? :confused:

For such a well respected poster.....this is most disappointing.

:wink: :wink:

gareth brown said:

whoa, hold on a second...

you were expecting an entire thread in honour of a keyboard progression?!

seriously, is he kidding us?
me? - i'm a guitar guy. no guitar = no contest. none of edge's piano tinkling give the song that incredible lift that happened the first time they played it with the edge on electric guitar in amsterdam.
as far as the single version goes - i like it, but wonder what the point was, as they had already done a fine job of it. but whatever, i'm sure the band just really wanted to noodle and record it with a real string section and had some time and so they did - then the record company figured they could sell it to us.
ha.
:huh:

Instead of sounding something like a Beatles song, this single mix makes it a Beatles song. This is a compliment. The new strings give it a richer sound.

Roland of Gilead said:
Instead of sounding something like a Beatles song, this single mix makes it a Beatles song. This is a compliment. The new strings give it a richer sound.

Spot on, mate :up:

This new version is absolutely awesome and instead of complaining about this, the best song on a great album, I prefer to appreciate that we get so many beautiful versions of this song, both live and studio recordings.

"incredible lift that happened the first time they played it with the edge on electric guitar in amsterdam" Anybody have a great quality version that a ysi link can be posted of it?

The single version is absolutely PERFECT.

Gone are the cheesy fake strings... good!!!
Better intro... good!!!
Overall better crescendo sound... and it sounds fuller, all instruments are better integrated into the song...

Back
Top Bottom