Songwriting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summer~Rain

The Fly
Who is most responsible for U2's songs? Bono said when the tour dates were announced that he was a 'generous genius' and none of the rest disagreed. I always thought Bono wrote the lyrics, sometimes with the help of Edge, and all four worked out the music. All songs are credited to U2. What is your take on this?

------------------
When you stop taking chances and stay where you sit you won't live any longer but it'll feel like it!

you are right that Bono rights most of the lyrics with somehelp from Edge. The music is written by the band. I think it all goes towards them being 4 equals and no one should get any more credit for the songs than the others. Thats my take on it.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Exactly.

It takes Bono, Edge, Adam & Larry to make a song. Lyrics alone do not comprise a song.

Therefore all songs are credited to U2.

------------------
I can scream as loud as your last one, but I can't claim innocence.

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 04-14-2002).]

Thanks, I thought it was something like that. With the Beatles, it got to the point where John and Paul were creating very different types of songs and writing entire songs without the other, but they still left the Lennon-McCartney tag on. I don't think there is any song that every member has not contributed to in some way.

Poor Paul McCarntey. Not only is Michael Jackson selling his songs to lame commercials, he must share the royalties of one of his greatest and most covered songs, Yesterday, with Yoko even though John had nothing to do with it. Okay, so someone told him not to call it Scrambled Eggs, but I could've done that!
wink.gif

------------------
When you stop taking chances and stay where you sit you won't live any longer but it'll feel like it!

Back
Top Bottom