Songs You Changed Your Mind About

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i didnt like velvet dress until i heard the strings or whateverin the far background come in with 1:07 remaining. do do do de de do do de de do do

I think I have one for every album.

ONE STEP CLOSER TO KNOWING I thought was the weakest song on BOMB at first, but now I realize that it is quite good. WILD HONEY originally I felt should have been a b-side, or not anything at all, but I really like it now. DIRTY DAY brought me around after a long time of not liking it. But I've always loved every single song on ACHTUNG. JT's turnaround song is probably MOTHERS OF THE DISAPPEARED, I really like that one now, after hating it the first time I heard it.

Other ones: INDIAN SUMMER SKY, TWO HEARTS BEAT AS ONE, STORIES FOR BOYS, and I FALL DOWN.

Most of Pop and a couple of tracks off zooropa, now they're two of my favourite albums. Some days are better than others, Babyface and Daddys Gonna Pay for your crahed car were ones I was initially disappointed with but now I'm a big fan of all 3.
With Pop i didn't like Last Night On Earth or Velvet Dress but now Ive grown to love them.
Still don't like If God Will Send His Angels though, I doubt I ever will.

for some crazy reason i didnt care too much for the fly when i first heard the song, but when zoo tv in sydney vhs came out it quickly became one of my all time favs.

katiebu21 said:
Pop was hard for me to handle at first, and I didn't give it a real chance until recently. Now I listen to it all the time!
Good to hear that. That is what happens to most people who dislike POP first.

You really need to grow into it but if you understand it you know this is one of the best albums U2 has ever made.

Most of the stuff off Boy...songs like "Out of Control" and "Electric Co." didn't make it for me when I first heard the album(I came up on 90's U2) but when they play those live....they just flat out ROCK! Especially "'Electric Co." from the Vertigo Tour!

Trip Through Your Wires.

I bought into everyone's hatred for that song, until I listened to it more and realized how wrong they all were. :D

DreamOutLoud13 said:
The first time I listened to Achtung Baby all the way through, I didn't like So Cruel. It just seemed long, repetitive, and boring to me. But it wasn't long before I had a huge turnaround regarding the song. Soon it became one of my favourite/most played songs from the album.

Same for me. I love the song now.

i became a POP lover after disliking the album for nearly 7 years.
the main culprits for my dislike have been discotheque, SATS & LNOE. but in the summer 2005 i re-discovered POP and now i can say i don't dislike these 3 songs any longer :sexywink:

Desire! When I first heard it I just thought it ripped off the Stones and hated it. (secretly though I think I hated it because many of my mates wouldnt stop going on about how good it was. I was in school at the time and wanted to be different!)

Total turnaround soon after though. Quality tune!

Gone.

I'm not crazy about the intro -- that high-pitched phrase at the start is like something only dogs can hear, and I don't much care for the clucky, crunchy notes that follow (sorry Edge, I'm not up on my terminology) -- and I used to skip over it. Then I read the lyrics, and I decided to give it a second listen. Now I think it's one of the most literary songs U2 has ever written.

Maybe there could be a William Orbit mix? I'd love to hear it start very very softly, even acoustically, and then build up to when Bono comes in.

There's a "new" mix of GONE one the Best Of: 1990-2000 disc that incorporates some of the better playing that they figured out on tour. It sounds much better and Bono's singing slides along more smoothly. The best moments of the song are the mixing of softer elements with the scratchy guitar and crashing rhythm. Lyracally, I've always loved the line "And I'm already Gone/Felt that way all along." It comes at a perfect time in the song.

WhiteWolf said:
There's a "new" mix of GONE one the Best Of: 1990-2000 disc that incorporates some of the better playing that they figured out on tour. It sounds much better and Bono's singing slides along more smoothly. The best moments of the song are the mixing of softer elements with the scratchy guitar and crashing rhythm. Lyracally, I've always loved the line "And I'm already Gone/Felt that way all along." It comes at a perfect time in the song.

I think this version of gone is actually better than the first. I have to disagree - my favourite line in the song is 'closer to you everyday/i didnt want it that much anyway.' Perfect.

WhiteWolf said:

Thanks for pointing that out -- I'll look for it.

My favorite line is "You changed your name but that's okay, it's necessary...."
It could describe any one of a number of people, Bono and Edge included.

Back
Top Bottom