Songs We Never Talk About

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basically the last half of Joshua Tree is over looked and in my opinion is the better part of the album. So I am talk about after Bullet the Blue Sky and on.

Axver said:
The following are hideously neglected: Treasure, Bass Trap, Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come, the two Boomerangs, Indian Summer Sky.

I have the two boomerangs and Indian Summer Sky:up:
but , Axver, are the others released? or bootleg items

My personal Top ten of great songs, even U2 might have forgotten about:
- Twilight
- I Fall Down
- Drowning Man
- The Unforgettable Fire
- Exit
- God Part II
- Acrobat
- Dirty Day
- Your Blue Room
- Mercy

cdisantis83 said:
Drowning Man is possibly their single most underappreciated song. Love Comes Tumbling and October are also unfairly neglected.
Drowning Man friggin rocks, dude. it's amazing and utterly underappreciated indeed.
Love Comes Tumbling is beautiful, i wish it was more well known
good observations =)

2861U2 said:
What the heck is this? I've never heard of it.

It's a song from the bootleg of U2's soundcheck on 1987-04-25, San Francisco. There are two "new" songs: Move Out, which is more of an improvised jam, and My Time Hasn't Come, which is clearly not a finished song either (mainly lyrically) but much closer. I really, really like it.

blm said:
I have the two boomerangs and Indian Summer Sky:up:
but , Axver, are the others released? or bootleg items

Yeah, all those are released - in fact, out of all of those I named in the post you quoted, only Indian Summer Sky has been played live (nine times, seven in 1984 and two in 1985).

Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?): New Year's Day's b-side. It evolved out of Pete The Chop, a song U2 played live prior to Boy's release. They held onto it as they felt it would be a good song to release as a single if their career looked like failing, but when it became apparent this wouldn't be the case, it was reworked into a new song, Treasure, and used as a b-side. I think it should have been on War instead of Red Light.

Bass Trap: Shimmeringly gorgeous instrumental that was on The Unforgettable Fire's single. It's also on the Best Of 1980-1990 b-sides disc, but I think in edited form. Both Bass Trap and Treasure are in my top 15 U2 songs.

Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come: Also an instrumental on The Unforgettable Fire's single. Not quite in the same class as Bass Trap but still very, very good.

Axver said:

It's a song from the bootleg of U2's soundcheck on 1987-04-25, San Francisco. There are two "new" songs: Move Out, which is more of an improvised jam, and My Time Hasn't Come, which is clearly not a finished song either (mainly lyrically) but much closer. I really, really like it.

Axver, is there a chance to get these two songs in a decent quality? I have never heard of them.

Is That All?

The lyrics seem so delightfully twisted....top tune...underappreciated, kicks Scarlet's arse.

last unicorn said:
Axver, is there a chance to get these two songs in a decent quality? I have never heard of them.

Sure. Upon listening to these tracks, I've realised I've probably been under-rating Move Out. And the first couple of minutes of My Time Hasn't Come are a bit meandering but I love the end.

Move Out: http://www.send space.com/file/5733e2

My Time Hasn't Come: http://www.send space.com/file/l1hf6w

As these are bootleg tracks that have never been officially released, they should be OK with the mods/forum rules.

I agree with lots of choices here and think that songs such as Love Rescue Me, October, Red Hill Mining Town, Tormorow etc should get a bit more recognition. At the end of Love Rescue Me Bono pulls off some really acrobatic vocals, he sounds so good, this why I love that 89/90 period so much.

Lost On A Silent Planet: I don't think I have ever heard this one even mentioned before by anyone, have no clue whatsover what its like. Really strange, I'm normally quite good with obscure stuff.
You think you know alot about U2 eh :shrug:

DevilsShoes said:
Lost On A Silent Planet: I don't think I have ever heard this one even mentioned before by anyone, have no clue whatsover what its like. Really strange, I'm normally quite good with obscure stuff.
You think you know alot about U2 eh :shrug:

Oh, you probably know it. It goes by a lot of titles: Judith, The Magic Carpet, Life On A Distant Planet, Lost On A Silent Planet. I prefer Lost On A Silent Planet and use it in conversation, but I use The Magic Carpet on U2VT as it's the most recognised.

Ah, The Magic Carpet I have heard of that particular title, the band often play around with a variety of titles before settling on the final one.

Reading through Bill Flanagans book the other night, he reveals some really odd titles for songs that were circulating during that 92/93 era. I think the majority of them were nothing more than fragments or were a number of seperate songs which were eventually joined together to make one. Some of those titles include:
Sparky Left The Planet
Cry Baby
Indian Jam
In Cold Blood
If I Should Ever Lose Control
and my personal favourite...Nosejob :D

Axver said:

Sure. Upon listening to these tracks, I've realised I've probably been under-rating Move Out. And the first couple of minutes of My Time Hasn't Come are a bit meandering but I love the end.

Move Out: http://www.send space.com/file/5733e2

My Time Hasn't Come: http://www.send space.com/file/l1hf6w

As these are bootleg tracks that have never been officially released, they should be OK with the mods/forum rules.

Having trouble with the link for Move Out- I get to the download and then it says HTTP 404 not found Webpage cannot be found?

Thanks Axver- you are a wealth of u2 knowledge:wink:

blm, both links worked fine for me.

I like both songs very much, but "My time hasn't come" a little more. Sounds really great!

I suppose my only advice on the link is "try again later" ...

DevilsShoes said:
Reading through Bill Flanagans book the other night, he reveals some really odd titles for songs that were circulating during that 92/93 era. I think the majority of them were nothing more than fragments or were a number of seperate songs which were eventually joined together to make one.

:lol: Yeah, there are some great provisional and early titles floating about. Though one you mentioned, In Cold Blood, was actually a song, the lyrics even exist. It's a brutal anti-violence song that's really dark and was apparently considered for inclusion on Zooropa after Numb. However, the band felt it was dark enough that the album would not recover from it. I understand Bono then considered reciting it at some point during the European stadium gigs in 1993 but nothing came of that.

But back to the titles that are floating around, my favourite is Assaulted By Underpants. In an interview around early 1981 or so, Bono mentioned that title and said it was inspired by huge underwear ads in the London Underground.

Axver said:
The following are hideously neglected: Treasure, Bass Trap, Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come, the two Boomerangs, Indian Summer Sky.

I don't have Treasure or the two Boomerangs. I'd love to hear them. I love hearing new u2 stuff...if I can't have a new album, some rare old unreleased stuff I've never heard works too!

Axver said:
I suppose my only advice on the link is "try again later" ...

:lol: Yeah, there are some great provisional and early titles floating about. Though one you mentioned, In Cold Blood, was actually a song, the lyrics even exist. It's a brutal anti-violence song that's really dark and was apparently considered for inclusion on Zooropa after Numb. However, the band felt it was dark enough that the album would not recover from it. I understand Bono then considered reciting it at some point during the European stadium gigs in 1993 but nothing came of that.

But back to the titles that are floating around, my favourite is Assaulted By Underpants. In an interview around early 1981 or so, Bono mentioned that title and said it was inspired by huge underwear ads in the London Underground.

I never knew that about In Cold Blood, it sounds way too dark for the Zooropa album, in fact come to think of it, it sounds way too dark for any of their albums.

Assaulted By Underpants? :lol: A lost classic I have no doubt.

BTW just reading Bill's book, he mentions that a pretty raw version of Wake Up Dead Man is being performed by Bono in the studio, so this song was obviously around as early as 93 along with If God Will Send His Angels and Velvet Dress.

I don't know how axver gets these songs but they are awesome.

Axver, is there a chance that you could generously share Cartoon world? As I understand only bootleg recordings are available. I've heard about the song but never the song itself. I'm sure a lot of us would like to listen to it:p

Last edited:
Varitek said:
I don't have Treasure or the two Boomerangs. I'd love to hear them. I love hearing new u2 stuff...if I can't have a new album, some rare old unreleased stuff I've never heard works too!

What's your e-mail address? I can't post the songs on the forum, but everybody needs to hear them - especially Treasure.

bakedpony said:
I don't know how axver gets these songs but they are awesome.

Axver, is there a chance that you could generously share Cartoon world? As I understand only bootleg recordings are available. I've heard about the song but never the song itself. I'm sure a lot of us would like to listen to it:p

I have a fascination with everything pre-Boy and non-album. I love digging out U2 songs and songlets that haven't made it to a release.

You're quite right on Cartoon World - there's no studio version that I know of. Here's a live version (somewhat harsh sound, but listenable) from 5 October 1979, Cork: http://www.send space.com/file/yyqkgu

Celebration - A great lil punk-esque feel to it. Very underated.

Race Against Time - Dunno why, but it is just one of these songs that takes me to a happier time in my life

Links worked fine now. THANK YOU!!!

One of my all time top 5 u2 songs:
A Sort of Homecoming.

Think it's been discussed before, dificult to do live, but any info on that- ahs it been done live? Axver, I am counting on you:)

Are you asking if Sort Of Homecoming has been played live? If you are..........the answer is yes, Wide Awake In America has it

blm said:
Think it's been discussed before, dificult to do live, but any info on that- ahs it been done live? Axver, I am counting on you:)

A Sort Of Homecoming was done in a different style live. The WAIA version is typical, with the modified intro. It was done at almost every UF Tour gig but didn't make it past the second leg of the JT Tour. On the Elevation Tour, U2 tried to play it at the first Slane gig but it was a complete disaster - mainly Bono's fault because he couldn't remember the lyrics. A few months later on the tour's third leg, a fan was pulled on stage to play guitar and surprised the band by playing ASOH. Bono went along with it but his lyrical performance that night was probably even worse! ASOH hasn't been done since.

Thanks to Sad Punk for posting the U2VT link to all the performances. Only a very small amount of UF Tour sets are missing and we know everything from the JT Tour onwards, so that's an almost complete list of every time ASOH was played.

That's true about the Slane version of Sort of Homecoming. Why am I not surprised that Bono messed up the lyrics? I have the live version, and although it isn't great, I still find it kind of touching to listen to that song performed in Slane.

But I prefer the album version over every live version I've heard so far of this song. I just don't feel it as a live song.

Back
Top Bottom