Songs U2 have never played Live, that you would like to hear.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
There's loads of songs that U2 fans adore but U2 have never bothered to play live because they're stingy...so, why don't we all share with each other what we would love to hear U2 playing live on the next tour that they've never played live...?

• Lady with the Spinning Head- I would love to hear this one live as it has such a great uplifting beat and feel to it. It would make a fantastic show-opener. They'd better start opening concerts with it before I get together a band and do it myself!
  • Promenade- I absolutley ADORE this song! One of my U2 faves. Such lovely guitar playing and those swaying, organ style sounds swashing along in the background and Bono's singing is absolutley beautiful. One reason I'd love to hear this live is I can just see Bono singing this song while holding a woman by his side onstage. With or Without You need not be affected...just picture it...
  • Acrobat-Another one of my U2 favourites! Where the hell is this one?! U2 could get everyone on their knees begging for mercy with this one! I can just imagine it now, Edge's squealing guitar solo on top of Adam and Larry's thundering Rythm backing! Complete with fantastic Pink Floyd-style light show! Ace!
  • The Three Sunrises-This one is another ideal show opener. I could just imagine them taking to the stage...silence falls upon the packed stadium...Bono simply takes the microphone in his hands, and sings those opening four lines just waiting for The Edge to come in before the entire stadium is torn a new belly-button as the song gets underway...but I've been warbling on too much...
  • Please give your suggestions, I'll probably be kicking myself for forgetting them...

See, straight away someone mentions one of my favourite non-live tracks! :) :) :). Heartland would have been awesome live. Only R+H song (studio) not to have been played live, great shame..

Only played for a short period of time, I'd really love for Do you feel loved to return.

Red Hill Mining Town, Acrobat... the usual...

Drowning Man would be interesting.......and like others have said..the usual, Red Hill Mining.......etc.

If they can't play it live, it mean it sucks live. U2 must have at least tried to rehearse those songs and it wasn't too effective. I trust U2's judgement in choosing what songs to never play live. Obviously the versions they try to do of it don't meet up to U2 live standards of excellence. So I'd rather they not play a song live, rather than a half-baked murdered version of that song. We always have the album anyway.

Cheers,

J

Acrobat was rehearsed for the outside broadcast tour, but it never made it into the set. Some fans outside heard them play it in rehearsal. But it has never been played live. At least this is what I believe to be true.......maybe I'm wrong.

Red Hill Mining Town was rehearsed for the video shoot in Sun Devil Stadium for Rattle and Hum. Unfortunately, it never did turn up.

I agree about Do you feel loved. Had they more rehearsal time, they could've really made it a good live song.

Promenade....they could've done something like they do with Wake up dead man or Peace on earth live. It could've been a great moment.

Three Sunrises should have been on the unforgettable fire, and should've opened every show on the tour. What was the opener for that tour? Out of Control? 11:00 TICK TOCK? Something like that.

Heartland would've made a great live song. Such a loss to never hear this song live.

In terms of rarely played songs, "Mothers of the Disappeared" is so much better live. A lot of '80s b-sides like "Walk to the Water" and "Luminous Times" sounded great live, as well.

As for never played? "The Playboy Mansion" would bring a nice mid-set groove, and has "Shadows and Tell Trees" ever made an appearance?

11 O'clock Tick Tock opened a lot of Unforgettable Fire shows, and yes, Shadows And Tall Trees was played live a few times in the early days.

Did they ever play The Wanderer live? I'd love to see Acrobat and HEARTLAND!

Jick, I think you totally msised the point of this thread.

When I Look At The World would be great.. imagine Edge doing thsat guitar part...

I don?t think Grace is a good choice. It?s a good song, but it wouldn?t work in a concert.

I think The Three Sunrises would have been fantastic opening for The Unforgettable Fire LP. Live, the song could be great.

I don't understand a post made previously, did you say there was a Rehearsal of Red Hill Mining Town recorded during Joshua Tree Tour Rehearsals and Rattle and Hum filming?

Supposedly Acrobat was supposed to be the intro into Zoo Station that kicked off Zoo TV. They couldn't get it worked out, so they scrapped playing it entirely. It doesn't mean that they couldn't play it well live, it just means that they couldn't fit it into the set. So as the tour progressed they never attempted it again.

How awesome would that have been?

And for those of you choosing Lady With The Spinning Head, you have heard it live many times, you just refuse to acknowledge it as the tune it end up becoming (actually 2). The Fly and Ultraviolet. :)

Originally posted by
[*]Acrobat-Another one of my U2 favourites! Where the hell is this one?! U2 could get everyone on their knees begging for mercy with this one! I can just imagine it now, Edge's squealing guitar solo on top of Adam and Larry's thundering Rythm backing! Complete with fantastic Pink Floyd-style light show! Ace!

[/list]

:up: I'd love to hear a full band version of Acrobat, not the accousting one they tried a few times during soundcheck on the Zoo tour. That song would be so great live.

Last edited by a moderator:
U2DMfan said:
Supposedly Acrobat was supposed to be the intro into Zoo Station that kicked off Zoo TV. They couldn't get it worked out, so they scrapped playing it entirely. It doesn't mean that they couldn't play it well live, it just means that they couldn't fit it into the set. So as the tour progressed they never attempted it again.

How awesome would that have been?
I have this on a CD someone sent me...the gutar solo feel slightly off, to me anyway, but it's SUCH a good lead-in to Zoo Station. I don't think it would have worked as a show opener, but I love how it sounds going into Zoo Station.

I would love to hear Heartland live, and while I have a million live versions, I've never actually heard Out Of Control live in person, and I would REALLY love that.

Grace WOULD work live. It was the intro to the Manray pre-Elevation tour (which i have on mpeg), and even though it was the taped version, it sounded awesome.

Imagine, just imagine, if the band played Red Hill at Sun Devil, during the Rattle and Hum recording! Imagine if the song made it to the video! It would have been awesome. But the bastards couldn't even put in "One Tree Hill" which was beautifully recorded that night.

What else I would love to hear live?

The First Time
Peace on Earth (full band & full song)
Summer Rain :D
Salome
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Electrical Storm :angry: Why hasn't this song been played live yet?! :rant:

Gimme some bourbon! :dance:

I can almost guarantee Electrical Storm will be played on the upcoming tour. I just suppose it hasn't been the appropriate song at the events they've played at lately.

discothequeLP said:
... But the bastards couldn't even put in "One Tree Hill" which was beautifully recorded that night.

I'm just guessing here, but maybe it was cut due to Edge's guitar. When the whole band joins in the song after the first Verse, Edge's guitar sounds a bit out of tune on one of the notes...just a guess though.

Did they tape any of the 'Red Hill' rehearsals?

Back
Top Bottom