Songs that will NEVER be dropped from the setlist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
What songs do you see that U2 will never (or at least very, VERY rarely) drop from their tours from now going forward?

-Streets
-One
-NYD
-Pride
-Beautiful Day
-Bullet (ugh!)

I also think Vertigo will probably end up in here too, but not so sure about that one.

Others?

i just don't understand why hardly anyone likes Bullet. i've always considered it to be one of the best moments of every show i've been to.

Bullet's just way overplayed. Since its debut in 1987, it has missed a mere six shows. In fact, since 1992, it has missed just ONE concert. It needs a break. Showcase something else!

I don't think any song is really assured to hang around, as U2 were actually considering not playing Streets on Vertigo. But I think those with the best chance of not going anywhere are I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride (ugh) Streets, WOWY (double ugh), One (triple ugh), and Beautiful Day, and Vertigo's probably going to lock in a place now too (yet another ugh from me).

Axver said:
Bullet's just way overplayed. Since its debut in 1987, it has missed a mere six shows. In fact, since 1992, it has missed just ONE concert. It needs a break. Showcase something else!

i'd like to see you say that to Bullet's face instead of talking behind its back all the time.:wink:

It'd be cool if the next album was so good that they felt comfortable playing 9 songs off it thus forcing them to not rely so much on older stuff. But despite having 9 new songs to play on the next tour, they'd also have to be comfortable with playing stuff from the last album too without having to rely on older stuff dominating the setlist.

But I doubt that will happen.

WSSHNN, NYD, PRIDE
they should do kind of a hybrid tour next time. that means playing arena + club gigs (max 2000 att.) on two following days in the same city. that would allow them to mix up setlists and playing some rare live stuff (acrobat, wire, god part 2, hmtmkmkm, dyfl, drowning man etc.) the stones already didi t and it worked.

Last edited:
I don't think we will see a concert without Beautful Day or Streets... there are others like One, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Bullet which may miss the ocassional concert,but they will be regulars on tours.
I really hope City of Blinding Lights becomes a fixture on setlists of future tours...

I think, and hope that Pride will finally begin to be dropped during the next tour.
Streets and Beautiful Day wont go. I also can't imagine them dropping bullet, its to central to the whole political nature of their shows.
Bullet is a great track but I'd also like to see it dropped occasionally.

They dropped NYD for most of the 2nd leg of the North American tour.

Didn't show up again until the South American and Mexico dates.

For me, it's right up there near "Streets" in terms of live songs I would miss if not played.

I'm all for playing newer songs, I just happen to like NYD and Streets enough to not be tired of them.

thrillme said:
They dropped NYD for most of the 2nd leg of the North American tour.

Didn't show up again until the South American and Mexico dates.

Correct. Plus, it missed the first two legs of ZooTV and most of the first leg of Popmart, and was only rotational on Elevation. It hasn't been a continual permanent fixture like One or Streets despite what some seem to think. I also think it's one of the classics that sounds the best. I wouldn't be disappointed if U2 kept playing NYD. It's tired songs like Pride, One, and WOWY that need to be ditched for a good length of time.

U2FanPeter said:
I think Elevation has been played at every full gig for the past 7 years.

Correct, but that only encompasses two tours, one of which isn't even over yet. Plenty of songs can claim to have been played at every or almost every show on their first couple of tours.

UTEOTW has been played at every gig since 92 except for being scattered on the Vertigo tour.

That and NYD I never get bored of hearing.I also think that Streets(w/ floodlights) is irreplacable.

One really needs to go, it's gotten stale IMO. Bullet I don't mind so much, but I just didn't care for the V tour arrangement and those boring snippets (Hands/Johnny) - yawn.

I'd like to at least see U2 work on changing the arrangement of some of the "classics". Bring back the different SBS arrangement that we saw some of on the JT (and Amnesty?) tours. The one song they've really never done anything different with is Pride, why not?

U2FanPeter said:
UTEOTW has been played at every gig since 92 except for being scattered on the Vertigo tour.

UTEOTW missed one Elevation show, and I'd say it was more than 'scattered' throughout Vertigo. Between March and November, it was played a grand total of four times (2005-05-12, Chicago; 2005-05-26 and 28, Boston, and 2005-06-10, Brussels). It's only been a regular for the latter half of the third leg and the fourth leg.

Thank God they finally saw the light and stopped playing Mysterious Ways every night...once a tour would be too much for me frankly.

CTU2fan said:
Thank God they finally saw the light and stopped playing Mysterious Ways every night...once a tour would be too much for me frankly.

I would agree with you there ... if it weren't for the fact WOWY replaced MW. I'm a bit tired of MW, but at least Edge still makes it quite fun. WOWY is dull and dead in every sense of the word. We need to make a tombstone for its grave:

WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
RIP 1987-1993
After a short battle with sharply declining health, WOWY passed away in late 1993.

ATTN: Please stop digging up this grave. The corpse just does not have the emotional impact, intensity, or quality of the living, breathing WOWY.

Ya they've pretty well sucked the life out of WoWY...though there was that one version from NYC. That "Shine like stars" snippet gets me every time.

I really liked some of the Zoo versions, like the one with the "Kick the darkness" snip...Vancouver or Tacoma '92, can't remember which.

Streets never gets old. I'm pretty sick of Pride however. It hasn't been powerful since the Joshua Tree tour.

I haven't liked Streets as much this tour. Thought it was way better during Elevation. Love Bullet, can ditch SBS though. Pride...eh, so so. Love Mysterious Ways because of Edge. One has lost a bit this time around but would keep that and get rid of NYD or WOWY. Personally, I would love them to dig up some more Achtung or Zooropa or Pop and have that become more of a staple. And City of Blinding Lights for whatever reason, makes me happy every time I hear it. Goosebumps even, don't know why.

Axver said:

UTEOTW missed one Elevation show, and I'd say it was more than 'scattered' throughout Vertigo. Between March and November, it was played a grand total of four times (2005-05-12, Chicago; 2005-05-26 and 28, Boston, and 2005-06-10, Brussels). It's only been a regular for the latter half of the third leg and the fourth leg.

They also played UTEOTW at the R&RHOF in March 2005.

Another song they played at their induction was ISHFWILF, which was skipped on many Vertigo dates. That song could be mentioned in thei thread.

u2fp

The trouble with this thread is that personal bias kicks in. For example, Axver, you're well known for your dislike of AB, especially "One". So for you, this song is "over-played" by default.

That said, I agree with the overall sentiment. As much as I enjoy many of the songs listed in this thread, I wouldn't mind them rotating in and out of a setlist (that is, U2 could have 2 or 3 setlists, with 7 or 8 songs from the new release and the remaining 12-15 songs rotating between 2 or 3 setlists). There can be some overlap there too, just an order change.

In fact, I would love it if U2's next tour followed this "less structured" setting. At this point, U2 have so many classic songs, both new and old, that they really need to either expand the setlist or REALLY mix it up. Adding a token song or changing a token song here and there is really not enough. I saw U2 quite a few times on the "Vertigo" tour and even I sometimes was a tad bored with the predictable setlist. I was thrilled when they threw in "Fast Cars" to end one show - that was so unexpected! Plus, I hadn't heard that song live yet, so I was very happy! I think having 2 or 3 basic setlists, even if those are the same (that is, repeat every three concerts), it would keep fans happy (or at least, happier). This way, those who do love "One" and "With or Without You" and "Pride", can hear them. Those who want NYD and "Bullet" and "A Sort of a Homecoming" could have that too.

But alas, I'm sure U2 will once again create a very standard setlist with the rare mix-up here and there on the next tour.

Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
Where the Streets Have No Name
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Bullet the Blue Sky

They'll never drop Pride, alas.

I'd like them to drop Bullet, because it's lost most of its oomph. There's still a little oomph there (I WANNA GO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME! in particular gave me a tiny goosebump.), but not enough to continue making it a staple.

With or Without You is tired and old, and needs to go. Keep Pride in for the fair-weather fans (and it's better to sing along to anyway), drop the tired and old.

redhotswami said:
Hopefully I will never have to witness a concert where they neglect to play With or without you :love:

its awesome on Zoo TV. it just sounds like a siren going off, and then the flames and crosses add to the atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom